Multiple Platforms A blog on a website on the invasion of western RPG's

After to reading the article, I have to be honest. I don't really think it's such a bad thing to step away from the "classic style" of RPGs. If everyone just left it with text only, ages long grinding required, turn based combat RPG formula I think they'd all but fade away. Sure, it would keep it's cult following, but you (by you, I mean the general "classic RPG are the best" people) would become nothing but another Armored Core type following. You would exist, but barely so.

Stepping forward means change, this is the way life and society works. With the introduction of new tools and abilities comes the spread variety we now find. Many gamers (such as myself) fussed over the turn based combat. While it was fun for a while, it eventually felt like it needed to be pushed forward. We aren't really using the full potential of the developers if every RPG made stuck with this idea. To be frank, I think it's fine with just how many games like this we have out there.

Modern life is very "on the go" and long stories like these would have a difficult time keeping up. Say your average gamer was to focus on one, maybe two games at a time while juggling the consistent demands of realy life, if would take ages to finish ONE of those titles. This would decrease revenue for the entire gaming industry, causing a slump in overall quality.

Not to mention that the western titles you listed also have the same "attributes" you listed, so in all respects, they are still RPGs. Mass Effect, for example, has static and preset enemies. Some encounters are random and level based, however, there are preset enemies who will dominate you if you are not leveled properly. Does this not count as something you grind levels for? As I found myself doing so often while playing this game. I was excited to reach the next level as I wanted the perk it offered, as the classic games would offer you equipment or some kind, be it armor or attack. It offered adventure (which, helped you assist in some kind of war, btw) and helps you understand your own character's origins through your interaction with the world. Only difference is that Mass Effect's history is a story we weave ourselves. Also, if simply not having an over the shoulder aspect makes a game an RPG, then you have a huge library of them.

Fact is, most of the listed "RPG attributes" apply in the modern RPGs you demote from their status, and unjustly so. There are still RPG's that follow this classic formula out there if that is what you really yearn for, you just have to look for them. If one of the "new flavors" isn't for you, then don't touch it. With the upswing of the gamer population there is bound to be food on this table you won't like, so find your section and stick to it if you can't stomach it all.

Last edited:
Back