Lacking in Mammary?

Exoskeleton

Pale Flesh
Veteran
Gil
I just came to the realization that this game is very much different from previous final fantasies not only in character design and supposed "dark storyline", but also there are a lack of females from what we've seen. In the past Final Fantasy games, we've always gotten at least 3 females in our party to control. So far the only females we've seen in Versus have been Stella and the unnamed female warrior in the latest Versus trailer which may or may not be the same person. I think it is interesting that many of the party characters we've seen so far are male (4 including Noctis and three others).

These days an average FF party consists of at least 6 members. This game has only shown 4 controllable members in a party and Stella's not even known to be a part of the male party or not. I think it would be interesting to go through an FF game with an all male party, but others might desire more of a female presence in their games. There could be more female characters who haven't been introduced(Noctis' mother hasn't been mentioned).

What do you all think about this? Do you think there may be other female characters and that they haven't been introduced yet? How do you guys feel about an FF party having all males?

To be honest, I'd be really comfortable with SE just leaving the cast as it is, with Noctis and his gang...and leaving Stella seperate with her possibly becoming a playable member of the party at some point. I think if they did throw more female characters into the game it would take away a lot of the bromance that Nomura had planned for this game.

...and it is a weird turn that they are taking with Versus. The cast if they leave it as is, is pretty much entirely male...and the cast is going to be extremely limited if they leave it that way. That would just leave the four guys and possibly one female to play as...unless they have some big reveal and release info on more playable characters...but I have a nagging feeling that they won't be doing that. In every single Final Fantasy game there are at least two or three females....with four males. This would be the most limited cast in any of their games. This might bother some, but if they all have a decent degree of character development I'll be happy enough.

To be honest, I'd be really comfortable with SE just leaving the cast as it is, with Noctis and his gang...and leaving Stella seperate with her possibly becoming a playable member of the party at some point. I think if they did throw more female characters into the game it would take away a lot of the bromance that Nomura had planned for this game.

...and it is a weird turn that they are taking with Versus. The cast if they leave it as is, is pretty much entirely male...and the cast is going to be extremely limited if they leave it that way. That would just leave the four guys and possibly one female to play as...unless they have some big reveal and release info on more playable characters...but I have a nagging feeling that they won't be doing that. In every single Final Fantasy game there are at least two or three females....with four males. This would be the most limited cast in any of their games. This might bother some, but if they all have a decent degree of character development I'll be happy enough.

Yea I feel pretty much similar. It wouldn't really surprise me if it didn't have the default of a few females in the main party as it's not a main numbered game. You're right when you mention that the whole bromance dynamic would probably change. I think keeping an mostly male cast might stir up some people as it not only leaves more yaoi pairings, etc, but it also kind of puts women on the back burner which feminists may not like(I know it's not that serious but people will complain about anything these days). I'd personally be happy with the cast as it is though. Some non important/controllable female characters would be nice additions to the story.

I'd want them to just have those guys as playable because X-2 was all-female so I want to see how Tetsuya develops the relationships between these guys. Since both female characters so far seem like they'll be antagonists (Stella being evil only because she's on the opposite kingdom) I'd love to see female villains that I can actually take seriously. I'm sorry but I laughed every time Edea appeared in VIII.

Give me boobies, fellas.

No, seriously, I'd rather have a balanced cast of males and females. I hate the idea of a damn-near sausage-fest in most of these entries. No joke.

Nomura did confirm the dragoon in the last trailer was not Stella, but yeah I've never really thought about this either. But when you look at it this way in every FF or RPG each character does have it's own speciality so I wouldn't think they'd just have 4 unless they have a system similar to X-2 with dresspheres.

Noctis seems like the fast average sort of battle character (Squall,Tidus,Cloud etc)
Scarface (Gladiolus...?) looks like the hard man (Auron,Fang,Nanaki etc)
Prompto (blonde one) seems like a gunner just for aeriel enemies especially(Wakka)
and the glasses dude look like a black mage.

Which must leave other roles such as white mage,blue mage,thrower(Shadow/Amarant), those characters who copy enemies moves,summoner etc etc etc.

So I can't see them having 4 (or 5). Bearing in mind when you look at the last trailer it looks like you can use up to a maximum of 3 characters on the battlefield, why would they just leave one out?

And if they really want to rock the RPG genre why would they have such a small cast?

I'm not saying it'll be like Chrono Cross btw.

But when you look at it this way in every FF or RPG each character does have it's own speciality so I wouldn't think they'd just have 4 unless they have a system similar to X-2 with dresspheres.

So I can't see them having 4 (or 5). Bearing in mind when you look at the last trailer it looks like you can use up to a maximum of 3 characters on the battlefield, why would they just leave one out?

And if they really want to rock the RPG genre why would they have such a small cast?

I'm not saying it'll be like Chrono Cross btw.

I don't know what you mean by the Chrono Cross thing but it wouldn't be surprising to me if this game had a small cast since it's not really a "main game" of the series. To me it feels more of an X-2 and XIII-2 ish type deal. It would be nice if there were more characters but we can't really tell if the characters are going to have the class attributes to them(maybe each one could be customizable to act like a black mage?) so it depends. The max party of FF8 was just 6 so why not 5? ^^

Well, it all goes down to "what sort of character do you enjoy playing as?"
Personally, I first and foremost prefer playing as a character with character (what a concept) that I can at least somewhat relate to or would like to be friends with. (basically a likeable character, but it's all in perspective to your personality and who you like)

I like characters who are headstrong, straighforward, a little comical, and I suppose more mature compared to other characters. I also prefer playing as a white male with brown/blond hair. I'm not feminist or racist, I just like to think of myself as the main character when I'm playing a Role Playing Game, where you generally have to make decisions based off of your personal preference. Of couse if they look or act really cool, they're most likely going to be in my group as long as (s)he is useful. [Lightning and Kiros Seagul FTW!]

So, looking at the latest Final Fantasy, (XIII) I like Lightning, Fang, and Snow.
Unfortunately, I prioritize in functionality above other preferences, so I used primarily Lightning, Fang, and Vanille and sometimes Hope. At first I used Sazh a lot, and Snow is my least useful character.
This means I never played as a cool male character in XIII. I would've used Hope a lot, but he is my all time least favorite Final Fantasy character.

So, do I personally like the number of male characters over female characters? Absolutely! That increases my odds of finding someone that I can put my shoes into, and say "that's me" with pride.

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by the Chrono Cross thing but it wouldn't be surprising to me if this game had a small cast since it's not really a "main game" of the series. To me it feels more of an X-2 and XIII-2 ish type deal. It would be nice if there were more characters but we can't really tell if the characters are going to have the class attributes to them(maybe each one could be customizable to act like a black mage?) so it depends. The max party of FF8 was just 6 so why not 5? ^^

Yah even though it's not a mainline FF game I suspect that's probably because of how different it's gonna be to an FF. After all it is being developed by mostly KH makers and also the adult-like and modernised setting kinda says it. I think I know what ya mean with the X-2 and XIII-2 thingy. But, with all the hype (even though it died down) and the longevity of development I don't think SE or people will treat it like a side title.

As for the characters, 5 would be fine, even though I do tend to like RPG's with a greater cast of characters as it provides you with much more flexibilty. However if there is 5 (or 4), I just HOPE each one is has a nice backstory, and is fairly represented unlike a tag-along (Penelo of XII).

btw Chrono Cross has like around 40 (Yes 4 - 0) characters!! :ohshit:

I say the cast is fine, at least 1 female would be nice though, if for nothing more than the simple effect of adding story dynamics.

I'm completely fine with it. I know there are issues about a lack of good female characters in gaming. Although that's largely an issue in which the Final Fantasy series has been an exception.
But I don't think we've actually had an RPG where the story is mainly carried by 4 guys. Most developers or storytellers have that natural desire to balance things out. Which isn't really that realistic. In reality, guys often hang around with groups of guys. And vice versa with girls. As long as it doesn't descend into farting and play-fighting, it should be fine.

I think there's probably going to be party females at some point in the game. Square loves female characters.

But I also feel it's cool to have a male party at the start. You know, the whole "Noctis and his mates" concept is great and it makes sense, at least for the start of the game.

Back