Driving

aw i was hoping to keep this up to date with my progress.. ah well

I can get into the car without wanting to commint suicide now, I can stop and start at last, gotten worse at manouvres, but well..... Il either just park badly or get someone else to do it when i eventually pass....

Got a lesson tomorrow, friday lessons suck I like my weekend to arrive at 4 when i finish work not have to go do a lesson. urgh

I think they have just become a really boring chore rather than something I dread for the whole day running up to my lesson

I had my first lesson this morning. Before today I'd never sat behind the wheel of a car, so I went to an off-road place. It went pretty well I think, my starts and stops were smooth and I didn't cut-out or stall. It was loads of fun actually, I'm looking forward to my next lesson

I'm 23 years old and I still don't have my license. I'm hoping to get it this summer. I am kinda worrying about getting behind the wheel. It's such a big step and I feel so foolish for not getting it done sooner.

Congrats Wanderer for your first lesson down. :) I hope everything goes well for you here on out!

All it takes is practice. That's it.

As someone with anxiety disorder, emotional issues and strong anger, I fucking know how irritating the shit is. It pisses me off and I used to be a wreck driving. Now I'm pretty good, calm, cautious, and I know my shit. I'm taking driving school right now and I'm pretty good. It's basically just practice and extra information that nobody else really knows about.

Just practice man. Keep at it, but be calm. You may never end up liking driving (like me), but it's a pretty convenient skill to have.

Meh... Dad is showing me everything he does in our car in order to drive it. I'm all like ...

"Lolwut"

So it's not gonna be the easiest thing in the world to learn. But it's gonna be worth it. ;)

Oh, I'm also gonna have my dads road rage syndrome. I'm not having any bullshit on the road. People driving on sidewalks. What the fuck is that? It's just completely dumb.

I am so getting my kids to go for their licence ASAP!

It will not only give them freedom and independence, it also means I won't have to chauffeur them around everywhere. Some people like getting chauffeured around for some reason. :hmmm:

I personally hated not having my own way to get around and having to rely on someone to drop me off and pick me up. I can go at my own pace and do what I want without having to inconvenience others.

I also don't want to be like my mum and whinge that she doesn't feel comfortable with her kids having a car and licence and then whinge that she hates driving them everywhere. It's one or the other lady!

I started taking lessons when I was 17 and managed to pass first time just days after turning 18. Looking back, that was oddly uncharacteristic of me, because being quick to jump at the opportunity to get behind the wheel doesn't sound like something I'd be thoroughly keen to do now. :8F:

I'm certainly glad I did, because embarking on it early has allowed me plenty of time to be gradually accustomed and fully comfortable with the whole endeavour. Like any learner driver, especially here in the UK where learning to drive a manual car is standard, I committed my fair share of the usual and baffling mistakes. I used to be downright terrified whenever I was the first car at a red light, because if I stalled, it would be bloody obvious to everyone behind me. That was a semi-regular occurrence; I felt this heavy, implied pressure on me to just not stall when setting off the moment the lights turn green, and because of this anxiety, I would forget something basic and lift the clutch way too quickly, forcing an immediate stall there and then. Stalling was the bane of my early driving existence and I would constantly berate myself whenever it occurred, because it was the sign that I would in all probability fall to pieces thereon.

Given circumstances, I don't currently drive anywhere near as often or as far as my peers do. Heck, I still don't even think I've driven on a motorway yet, because I generally take the train to places and I don't even have a personal car of my own. It's always been a shared car that my siblings and I would use whenever we're home! I'm generally comfortable on the road. I have little problems spotting immediate hazards and reacting as accordingly. My sense of direction can be a little muddled from time to time, which seems to be magically at 100% operation if I'm sitting in the passenger seat instead.

Parallel parking, however....yeeeeeeeeeeah, I actively avoid doing it. I still have the basic outline of the reference points and the strategy my instructor gave me all those years ago, but unless it's a very controlled environment and the gap is large enough for a small bus, I really don't dare. I'd rather find a car park and pay than give a free space on the street a go. -_-

I love driving! There is nothing quite like driving on the highway with family/friends, windows down, and a radio blaring. If gas were free I'd just get on the road and never stop.
The only thing I can't do is drive a manual shift. I can't seem to get the hang of it :sad3:

Back