Ever Get Bored of Final Fantasy?

P3ac3L4r

Gil
So this has happened to me a few times and I get really annoyed when I do because they are just the best games ever and its normally half way through playing one. I know I will never stop playing them completely.

What about you? lol

Well,

Since FFXIII is the ONLY FF on PS3 for now, yes I get bored of it.

But other than that, I can whip my PS2 out and play FFX endlessly. Especially the Monster Arena, no one touches me, not even Nemesis. Although, it saddens me that I lost my copy of the INT version. so I can't fight Penance anymore. :sad3:

All the time, and more often than not recently. Cant say it bothers me, if I'm bored of it, I'm bored of it. I'l go back every so often and play summat, might not complete it though...

I'm fucking bored of it. I think at this point, almost everybody's bored. In fact, this forum should be changed to www.weareboredoffinalfantasyletsgoandplaybettergamesforums.net

The latest in the series are taking too long to develop when really they'll probably be 30-40 hours long to beat. There are many better games with superior game design and writing that took less time to develop and requires more time to beat. Final Fantasy just doesn't offer a unique experience anymore and it's not meeting the high standards that game enthusiasts have today. Versus XIII might be good, but I bet you anything it didn't need all this time to make. They probably spent extra time working on superfluous details that only graphic enthusiasts would cream their panties for. They're still stuck with the approach they had in VII, upgrade the production value to 250% and everything else comes later. FFXII is probably the one game in that series that didn't go with that, and the time it took to develop actually shows in the game design and content. In fact, the graphical quality was downgraded from FFX, slightly. But people like it? Nope.

Final Fantasy is a confused series that doesn't know who to cater to anymore, and it's even lost its identity. Fans that started playing the series from 1-6, others that started from 7-10 all have different ideas of what the series should be like, the latter having the most diminished. They try to satisfy all of them when really, they don't know how to. So they spend a shitton of money and half a decade to make something shiny enough to distract both parties from the lack of artistic merit, content or substance.

What does the development time have to do with boredom? Fatigue. It's taking too long and my excitement has worn out. My expectations rose to the amount of time they're taking to make Versus XIII and when I saw the gameplay footage, I was underwhelmed and bored. It's not daring and it doesn't offer anything new. So Noctis flinches in the same character animation every time there's an explosion. Big deal, Uncharted did that with a more organic flair.

Face it, Final Fantasy has little value anymore.

The latest in the series are taking too long to develop when really they'll probably be 30-40 hours long to beat.

Agree with this statement. Final Fantasy games are usually about 40 hours long, and all they have to do to add more length play is add mini- games, like the Gold Saucer, and card game collecting. So flipping easy.

Versus XIII might be good, but I bet you anything it didn't need all this time to make. They probably spent extra time working on superfluous details that only graphic enthusiasts would cream their panties for.

Agree. SE doesn't understand that graphics are not the main focus. It's gameplay, characters, detail and music ! They understood that in the SNES days.

FFXII is probably the one game in that series that didn't go with that, and the time it took to develop actually shows in the game design and content. In fact, the graphical quality was downgraded from FFX, slightly. But people like it? Nope.

Actually people didn't like the game, because it took away normal qualities of a usual Final Fantasy game. Like a example would be the battle system, it was less like a Final Fantasy game and more like a online WoW game. Plus the characters had no personality whatsoever.

Final Fantasy is a confused series that doesn't know who to cater to anymore, and it's even lost its identity.

I don't think that this is quite true. I think SE are aiming please today's teenagers, and the Eastern players. So they are making games for the sixteen year old Japanese player

Fans that started playing the series from 1-6, others that started from 7-10 all have different ideas of what the series should be like,

I actually think that there's a 10- 13 group. A group that started with FF 10 and Kingdom Hearts, and now FF13. I think that those who started with FF7 started to stop being interested in Final Fantasy with FF10, when the new generation kicked in. Though they didn't forget about the older SNES/ NES group back then, and they made FF IX for them, which had the retro Final Fantasy feeling. Also alot of players who started with FF1- FF6 felt unhappy with FF7 and felt like FF7 "ruined " the series, but all the new generation players loved it. I don't think it's because Final Fantasy is having problems, it's because it doesn't any longer match our generation's tastebuds.

the latter having the most diminished. They try to satisfy all of them when really, they don't know how to. So they spend a shitton of money and half a decade to make something shiny enough to distract both parties from the lack of artistic merit, content or substance. .

Again disagree. I don't think SE tried to satisfy all groups with Final Fantasy XIII. It was made with a brand new system in mind, new battle system, new format. Everything was different. There was nothing really to show that SE were trying to be fair towards all groups, expect how Lighting was modeled off Cloud Strife. But most new FF fans would of seen Advent Children and most haven't even played the original game.

What does the development time have to do with boredom? Fatigue. It's taking too long and my excitement has worn out..

Agree again. It's taking Square Enix far to long to make a new FF game, and then in the process they fool around with Kingdom Hearts spin offs or Final Fantasy spin offs. They don't understand that we don't really want a musical Dissidia. We just want a decent JRPG that didn't take seven years to wait for.

My expectations rose to the amount of time they're taking to make Versus XIII and when I saw the gameplay footage, I was underwhelmed and bored. It's not daring and it doesn't offer anything new. So Noctis flinches in the same character animation every time there's an explosion. Big deal, Uncharted did that with a more organic flair.

It may be unoriginal for a normal Video game these days, but for a FF game. Versus looks quite unique. But yeah, it's taking them so damn long to make this thing, it's getting boring.

Face it, Final Fantasy has little value anymore.

I agree, but I also disagree. I don't think Final Fantasy has any value for those who started with FF7, but those who started with Advent Children, or Final Fantasy 10, Final Fantasy seems to be doing just fine. I believe that it's all about the different generations. Like how people in Real Life, who are 45 and are unhappy with what is playing on TV, because back in their day everything was suited towards their tastes, just like us with Final Fantasy. Play a Atari 2600 game today, that people adored in the 70's and most likely you'll think that it sucks.

I'm fucking bored of it. I think at this point, almost everybody's bored. In fact, this forum should be changed to www.weareboredoffinalfantasyletsgoandplaybettergamesforums.net

Let's not speak for everyone.

In fact, I don't get bored with it (unless I'm doing massive grinding), but I do go through phases. Like just recently, I was in a FFXIII and FFIV (Complete Collection) kick. I finally got all my characters completely maxed out (yay for cactuar farming) and beat Vercingoterix. My next goal would be to take down a Long Gui, as well as get at least one of each person's ultimate weapons. And in TAY, I finished all the character chapters, and now I'm on the final chapter, but I need to finish some things up first on some of the character chapters since as I was learning bands, I realized I can't get one because I don't have the Queen's Whip for Leonora (since that's the only whip she can equip), and the completionist in me can't just simply let it go.

So I played those two games for a bit, until I made the mistake of playing Diablo 2. And then, I downloaded Hellgate London. And then after that, I played Assassin's Creed. So now, FF got put on the back burner. Not because I'm bored with it, simply because other games currently grabbed my interest. I'm sure one of these days, I'll pick up Pokemon Black or White and then I'll be on a Pokemon kick (stupid dragon gym...I need to gain some levels). Then after that, who knows, could be Dragon Age: Origins or II, could be Madden or NHL11, or I could simply go back to playing FF again.

Sure, I'm bored. That's why I've got my laptop running Warcraft III, for some variety. :) That and Civilizations...games don't grip me like they used to, especially FFs. VIII and IX made me care the most, and those were over a decade ago. I lost faith in FF when I bought XII. Sixty hours in, no end in sight. No reason to care. Hit the snooze button on the series...haven't returned.

I'm kind of bored of it.

I still find the older games really interesting to read about but when it comes to picking it up and playing it i find i just can't be bothered. I am completely bored of FFXIII though and just want it to disappear.

well when you put an infinite number of hours into any game it can become boring. doesn't mean it's bad, just means you're done with it for the time being. Final fantasy games are like crack, very addicting and never as good as the first time you try them, but when you can play through one and get EVERYTHING with no need of a guide or any form of help (FFVII) then you start to lose interest.

Eh, they're hardly the best games ever, but that's wholly subjective anyway. I never really found any Final Fantasy to be that addictive, if at all. FFXIII was exactly the type of game that I wish I had watched on Youtube (i.e. every cutscene to know the story) rather than actually play. I reserve some optimism for Type-0 and Versus though, typically because they steer away from what FFXIII was and my stigma over that game.

I'm getting steadily more bored of the JRPG genre in general and it isn't wholly restricted to Final Fantasy. There are pros and cons of lengthy games and when it comes to games like Final Fantasy, if I'm stuck to just running around an area having to do mandatory grinding to survive the onslaught of the next boss then it can easily put anyone to sleep (unless the battle system is that enjoyable and you can't actually afford to read a book while "playing" it). Excessively long areas with samey corridors are an offender and as much as I liked FFXII, that is one of the worst offenders in the series for these kind of dungeons that ultimately more of a drag more than anything. I do often wonder whether the series could benefit a bit more with some more creative puzzles rather than feature mindless monster-hunting for EXP and Gil, but I don't know whether Square Enix is that capable of managing it and besides, I suppose this isn't Zelda. Speaking of Zelda, the greater essence of action in the gameplay is what keeps me more moderately hooked nowadays. I can still play a turn-based RPG and love it, though it's easily tiresome and dull - and consider that most of the series is turn-based.

Of course, if you're like me and you've finished nearly every game already, you've probably pretty much reached this stage of fatigue already. Unless you absolutely love a game that much, replaying them is never really an exciting prospect at all, bar perhaps if you want to revisit the story again more knowledgable than you were in your first playthrough. There is very little left that is new and fresh to experience, until the next installment finally shows up (and with such a long development time per HD game nowadays, long waits are pretty much standard now) and even then the full length of the game probably would not feel like it justifies the long development time (think how quickly one could beat Versus when it comes out for instance).

Let's not speak for everyone.

In fact, I don't get bored with it (unless I'm doing massive grinding), but I do go through phases. Like just recently, I was in a FFXIII and FFIV (Complete Collection) kick. I finally got all my characters completely maxed out (yay for cactuar farming) and beat Vercingoterix. My next goal would be to take down a Long Gui, as well as get at least one of each person's ultimate weapons. And in TAY, I finished all the character chapters, and now I'm on the final chapter, but I need to finish some things up first on some of the character chapters since as I was learning bands, I realized I can't get one because I don't have the Queen's Whip for Leonora (since that's the only whip she can equip), and the completionist in me can't just simply let it go.

So I played those two games for a bit, until I made the mistake of playing Diablo 2. And then, I downloaded Hellgate London. And then after that, I played Assassin's Creed. So now, FF got put on the back burner. Not because I'm bored with it, simply because other games currently grabbed my interest. I'm sure one of these days, I'll pick up Pokemon Black or White and then I'll be on a Pokemon kick (stupid dragon gym...I need to gain some levels). Then after that, who knows, could be Dragon Age: Origins or II, could be Madden or NHL11, or I could simply go back to playing FF again.

I think this is pretty much exactly what I feel concerning FF. I don't get 'bored' as such, but I am capable of being distracted. I can't play more than about 2 games at any point, at least when it comes to RPGs, and so if a new game comes along in the middle of an FF playthrough, then I have to choose to ignore the new game, or abandon the playthrough. I wouldn't say that boredom is a factor in that.

Also, I really don't accept the assumption that some other people have made that replaying a game is inherently unappealing. I constantly revisit older FF games, sometimes for nostalgia value, or because I want to challenge myself in some regard. Just because I've played that game before, does it mean I find it boring? Hell no. Do I mind that games are taking marginally longer to release? Not really, I'm content with what I've got. I wouldn't want to just spend years waiting for a game, just to beat it in a week or so, and then never touch it again. Maybe it's a mindset thing, but I can extemporaneously just pick up any given FF game and have fun with it, and if I couldn't, I'd feel no eagerness to wait for the next installment. I tend to know the games well enough now that I pretty much never need to grind at all, and with that tedium removed, it's the same as rereading a favourite book, or rewatching a favourite movie. I suppose if I played nothing but FF, then I might become bored just out of the repetition, much the same as you would become if you listened to just 1 artist. But even then, if I left FF alone for a while, I could come back refreshed. And if I genuinely couldn't get back into it, then I'd blame myself for possibly outgrowing the series, not SE for not releasing content fast enough, or not catering to my interests.

I get bored of it because all conversations of FF lead to which game is better? VII or VIII? I hate that. FF seems to circle around those two games. I even like VII and I'm sick of hearing about it. Plus, there hasn't been a good FF game since the PS1. I get bored of the whole franchise pretty quick from time to time.

i get bored of FF: I,II,III,VII and XIII.

I - Most of the game is spent on the world map not knowing where the hell you are going.

II - Firion seems to have a curse on his party that when people join they die all except Leon.

III - The DS version i hate. It's just boring.

VII - It's too easy and overrated when playing i'm like "I don't see why people love it."

XIII - It's Final Fantasy XIII that's why i get bored.

I agree with the most of the comments.... Each Final Fantasy Fan has their own interest of Final Fantasy.... 1-3 ( I believe they started the whole Fantasy Style Addiction). 4-6, probably my favorite generation! They started to have the ATB system which most fans say is the best battle system! First Final Fantasy to have the space traveling (FF IV). They started to become popular among the US, Europe, etc. They also started to have love stories... (Rosa and Cecil being the first love couple), Also CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT was quite focused ( most of the Final Fantasy VI characters were very well developed even though they were so many). I like to call this the Royal Era of Final Fantasy (referenced that 4-6 had the most King/Queen related stories. Also starting detailed plots...FF IV- redemption? FF V- not sure... friendship? FF VI- confidence/bravery?) 7-10, made big changes to the Final Fantasy World. 7 had new graphics!, new environment! And a twisted plot!. 8 started to make an even more modern style to the story! 9 was probably the most Fantasy based story and the favorite of FF 4-6 fans! FF 10 brought us the improved graphics and voice acting. Also had a "Tropical" view of the environment. I'd call this generation the Golden Era probably cause Square Enix totally became rich during these games! Don't know much about 11-14....

Upon first beginning my play in the Final Fantasy series I started off with 10, odd right? Should have started off with an earlier game. I never got bored until I got older, I got quite frustrated a few times, but of course who hasn't with an FF game?

All through out XII sometimes with how long a mission would take, yes I would get bored just because it seemed so time consuming and felt like it was lasting forever. Now I don't like short missions, but im not a fan of overly long ones either.

XIII, eh I'm on the fence. I can't really say I get bored but sometimes I just don't want to continue to play.

I wouldn't say "bored." But at one point, I grew tired of the Final Fantasy series. I think it started with VIII and I started feeling more tired around X. I'd say the metro/emo male protagonists and/or the cheesy ass romances fueled my fatigue. I moved to the Suikoden series for a while, and while I enjoy that series a ton, they kinda stopped making Suikoden games for the console systems. From that point, and I know I'm digressing here, I moved to the Western style RPGs for a while. But I grew sick of those 'cause they kept:

1) Freezing my game. I Had to save every two minutes 'cause I grew paranoid about letting hours go to waste, thus I never really immersed myself into the world, thus feeling "empty."

2) Not happy about not being able to revisit dungeons to get loot and stuff. I really liked Dragon Age, but I didn't like that I couldn't grind mobs for loot and/or experience. I've always said that I want a game that can immerse you like Final Fantasy, the battle system/engine like Dragon Age, and the exploration of an Elder Scrolls.

Again, I totally veered back off topic, but let me get back on topic. From that point with my frustrations with WRPGs, I wanted to recapture the magic from Final Fantasy. Which is why I picked up Final Fantasy XIII. And that's how I ended up here.

So, in short, I never really was bored of the series. Just wasn't happy with the direction.

Even though I love the Final Fantasy games, I still find them to be an absolute chore to get through. There is just so much content in them and the turn based battles end up becoming so repetitive that I have to fight myself to finish them. By the thirty hour mark I am usually just ready to move on to something new.

Final Fantasy X has been the only FF game that I have never grown bored with. Maybe it's the voice acting and pretty graphics.

I have gotten bored with the Emo heroes (Cloud, Squall and Lightning). The only FF title I will play countless times on end would be FF9. It's fun, fresh and the hero is actually enjoyable. Not overly upbeat like Tidus, but certainly not some mopey guy who blows everyone off. FF9 seems to be the funnest one of the whole series to play, and I never get tired of facepalming anytime Steiner does or says something stupid =P

I wouldn't say its just the FF series... I say most RPGS in general are just steadly getting more and more boring for me. Most video games infact are getting boring to me, I realize in my move the last 3 weeks or so, I haven't turned on a video game system and if you asked me this like a year ago, there wouldn't be a day my video game systems wouldnt be on or running, and I would be playing some games forever.

But about the FF series in general, I think it's probably having trouble deciding where to fit in with where it once was. Think about it, FF I-X... I will go far as say XII even, each one in it's own way defined the RPG series for that year, they were THE RPG game to wait for when they were getting released. (maybe thats a little too much but they were one of the top selling games of the year whenever they came out, main series wise.) Now that RPG are getting more westernized I think Square is having trouble in what to do with the FF series to make it THE RPG series again... which is why it got boring...

I think it's safe to say that everyone can get bored of any particular game if played for too long. We naturally shift to other games when the ones we're playing -- final fantasy or not -- just cease to give us the interest we desire. Every FF to date requires some minimal amount of level grinding as well, even if it's not really necessary, most people will grind anyway to be on the safe side.

I'm totally guilty of doing this.

In any case, I find every FF game I've played (excluding 10) to be fun and enjoyable, but when played nonstop for a week, can get boring. Currently, I'm finishing 13, and 12 has been put on the backburner for the time being. I got bored, but that doesn't mean I condemn the series for not being enjoyable. They're perfectly enjoyable, just long, and long games can get a little tedious when played for too long at one go. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I much prefer along game to a short game.

Back