Geek Juice
Gil
.hack//Mutation
Developed by: CyberConnect2
Published by: Bandai Games
US Release Date: May 7th, 2003
Platform: Playstation 2

Intro

This is the second game in the 4 part .hack series. Some things to note in this review. Some information maybe the same as in my Infection review. For example, the Controls section will pretty much be the same. If there is anything new for a section it will be labeled. I will refer to this game as Mutation in the review. Also, I will add some more info on somethings I missed in the Infection review(noticable in the Gameplay section). A red indicator: Updated will appear near the section I added some more info(Compared to the Infection review). As before, this game came with a bonus Anime DVD that will also be mentioned and reviewed as well. One last thing, I will exaplain the storyline the best I can without any spoilers. I apologize if there are any plotholes or if doesn't make sense at all. It is kind of akward trying to review a continued story without spoilers.

Storyline

Recap from Infection

Infection follows the story of a 14-year old 8th grade student. The student does not have an actual name but the Default Character Name is "Kite." Kite plays a game entitled "The World," an MMORPG created by the CC Corp for the "Altimit OS"(which is the made up Operating System in which Kite accesses The World, E-mail, etc). The game begins with Kite being invited to play The World from his classmate Yasuhiko, or known in The World as Orca. Orca shows Kite the ropes on how to play The World when they are interrupted by a mysterious flying girl named, Aura, who is being chased by Skeith, a large gray creature that weilds a gigantic red cross. Our heroes engage in combat with Skeith only to learn that the creature in invulnerable. During the clash, Aura attempts to entrust Orca with "The Book of Twilight," an item that prevents a user's data from being altered. But before Orca can receive the book, Skeith uses an ability called "Data Drain"(an ability that changes the data of a user) and Orca is no more. Kite then picks up the book and Aura transport him away before Skeith can get to him. As Kite leaves The World, he finds out that his friend Yasuhiko has been hospitalized and is in a coma. Kite also discovers that there have been other instances in which other people have suffered the same fate. This leads to the idea that there is some sort of conspiracy in the CC Corp. Kite believes that the game is responsible and must venture throughout The World and attempt to discover what has happened to his friend and if there is any way to cure him.

Mutation continues where Infection leaves off. Kite continues his search for the cause of Orca's medical condition. Accompanied by his new friend, BlackRose(a girl that joined Kite since the beginning), the two find themselves encountered with an administrator of The World anmed Lios. Lios warns our heroes to stop investigating and meddling with their current affairs. When they are threatened to be deleted, the hacker Helba arrives to adivise Lios that it is impossible to delete Kite from The World. Instead of deleting Kite, Lios employs him to search the world for more clues and information. During Kite's investigation, he encounters more players, Databugs(monsters in The World that have been corrupted and can only be defeated by using Data Drain) and several run ins with Balmung(a powerful character in The World that was also friends with Orca), who is on his own quest to discover the secrets of The World. Further investigation leads Kite to find Corrupted NPC data. These are NPC characters from older versions of The World that have not been completly deleted; also know as "Trash Data." Continued mystery and unsolved riddles accompany Kite and his gang as he furthers his search to help his friend and the many others that have suffered from playing, The World.

My Thoughts: Storyline

I slightly enjoyed the story in Mutation more than Infection. It goes more in depth with what is happening in the game itself instead of the outside world. I like how admins in the game want you to work for them and help them figure out all their problems. You can really feel the story start to expand as certain characters start becoming more involved. But for the most part, it still isn't that great. Even though you learn more about characters, there still isn't enough. I mean, this BlackRose chick follows you around and you have no idea why, STILL. There's some terminology drops that leave you clueless, as if you are supposed to understand it completely. For example, apparently The World is based off of a novel called the Epitaph of Twilight(which is not a real book, it is a book in the game universe). But you have limited knowledge of what it is. Most of the game just feels like blind following. And the dialogue seems to have gotten worse. Perfect example; one characters states, "Lets annihilate all the monsters in the dungeon." And Kite replies with, "So, you want to destroy all the monsters in the dungeon?" This shit happens CONSTANTLY. Once again, the story is not the strong point in this .hack game.

Storyline Score: 7.5

Characters

Kite: The main character of the story. A 14-year old 8th grader that is trying to find what has happened to friend that fell into a coma after playing The World. He is gifted with the ability to change character data(Data Drain) and to hack Portected areas in The World. He is employed by Lios to investigate the troubles in the game.

Orca: His real name is Yasuhiko; is the friend of Kite and shows him how to play The World. Orca is attacked by a foe named Skeith and is Data Drained. Yasuhiko is then hospitalized and is in a coma. Orca is also known as the "Knight of the Azure Sea" and is part of the group "Descandants of Fianna."

Aura: A mysterious girl in The World that bestows the Book of Twilight to Kite. Her origin is unknown but is somehow tied into the events that are happening in The World.

BlackRose: A character that Kite meets in the game. She is the second main character and joins Kite in following the mysterious girl, Aura.

Helba: A hacker that randomly helps Kite throughout the game. She is the guardian of a place called, "Net Slum." An area where Trash Data reside.

Balmung: Also known as the "Knight of the Azure Sky," Balmung is a member of a group called "Descendants of Fianna." He is Orca's friend and is also trying to find out what is happening in The World. He is also employed by Lios to investigate the problems in The World.

Lios: A System Admin in The World. He employs Kite to investigate all the problems in the game. He is known to be pig-headed and hopes to end all of the commotion and get all the issues in The World resolved. Lios is not trustworthy and threatens to delete Kite if he does not comply.

Wiseman: A player that holds information on The Epitaph of Twilight. He offers his information in exchange for a favor from Kite(quest in the game).

Classes

Blademaster: The character class that uses Longswords. They specialize in Defense.

Heavy Axeman: This class uses large Axes. They are the physically strongest class in the game.

Heavy Blade: A class that uses large Swords. They specialize in physical Stength and Accuracy but lack in Defense.

Long Arm: The character class that uses Spears. Specialized in Attack Speed.

Twin Blade: This class uses two Daggers. They are the most balanced class and have a high Hit Rate.

Wavemaster: A class that uses Staves. They are your typical Mages.

My Thoughts: Characters

Mutation has made me dislike the characters even more. Accompanied with the same lack of character development, the small amount you learn is pointless. You still don't know why BlackRose is following you around, Helba is STILL a mystery, Balmung is just a fucking idiot that does NOTHING impressive, just straight up crap. I'm pretty sure all will be answered in the next two games, but it is so poorly prepared that I really don't care who the fuck anybody is why they are doing what they are doing. New characters are available to help you. Rachel, the Blademaster with the most annoying Jersey accent in existence, Nuke Usagimaru, a Long Arm with the WORST stand up comedy invented, Moonstone, a silent Twinblade that is obsessed with working out(seriously, he sends you E-mails with his entire routine, probably pops steroids), Marlo, another Blademaster that is just a straight up dick and my favorite side character, and Wiseman, a Wavemaster that has Spike's voice from Cowboy Bebop, which is fucking sweet. The classes are all the same as in Infection. Nothing new. It is terrible when a games most annoying part are the characters you have to play. There is a chance you will get really irritated with them, as I did.

Characters Score: 4.0

Gameplay Updated

Exploration: Mutation is setup as an MMORPG. There are towns, or known in The World as "Root Towns"(the area you go to Save the game, Buy/Sell/Store Items, etc). Root Towns change based on what "Server" you are in. There are 5 Servers in all and Mutation allows access to three of them(2 in Infection). Here you can access the "Chaos Gates." Chaos Gates are the device in which the player uses to enter a Field(the level you will battle through). They are compiled of a 3 word system. One word decides the difficulty and monster population, one decides the Element(Fire, Water, Thunder, Earth, Light, or Dark) and the other decides the Special Attributes(anything extra in a Field) that the Field will contain. Example, if you are in the Theta Server, then the area would look something like this: Theta - Capricious Unending Corridor. Also in the Root Towns, you can interact with various NPCs. By talking to the NPCs, you will get a little dialogue and have the ability to Trade items with them. Fields contain locations known as Dungeons. Each Dungeon holds either Treasure or Bosses.

Gate Hacking: Through out the game, some areas you attempt to enter will be "Protected." Items called "Virus Cores" must be used in order to access these areas. In order to get Virus Cores, you must use Data Drain on enemies. Once the correct ammount of Virus Cores are collected, the areas are accessible.

Combat: Mutation uses a basic system. A character locks on to a target enemy by adjusting the camera angle and getting in close enugh proximity. Actions that can be used are Basic Attacks with weapons, Magic, Item selection, or the use of Data Drain(Kite's ability to change the Data of an enemy and transform them into items). Mutation also uses a command for party control. For example, you can select a command to have the entire party use Skills or to Heal. Each character also has its own command control so you can have one character Attack and the other cast Magic. Magic includes Elemental attacks, Heal spells and Buff and Nerf abilities.

Desktop: Mutation features the use of a Desktop. On the Desktop, you can play The World, check e-mails that characters in the game will send you, check News stories detailing random events in the real world, change your background image and music, and save your Game Data. When The World is accessed, you have the choice of either Logging In or checking the "Board." The Board is a Forum in the game that gives hints and details about gameplay, leads you to new areas to explore and discusses random topics.

Goggles: The characters playing in The World, use a headset when they play. It allows them to view everything in a 3D Field and talk to other players in The World. The goggles are attached to a controller which is used to play.

My Thoughts: Gameplay

My views on the Gameplay remain the same. It is addicting. But one thing I need to mention is the random difficulty this game poses. Each area has a designated Difficulty Level, which isn't the problem. My issue is the flow of difficulty. For example, the game starts off with new areas to venture to with harder levels. The monsters are tough and you can get killed pretty quickly. In order to gain Levels faster, you have to fight in harder areas. So it feels like a constant struggle. And once again, it never seems like you do not enough damage. Battles start taking longer and longer as you progress and you just feel like you are at a disadvantage. This is really annoying. There's no balance. And some of these monsters, fucking FRUSTRATING AS HELL. There are monsters that revive dead monsters, and when you fight THREE of these assholes, you want to destroy your PS2. So I grinded in the game, got to a high level so I can be prepared and started the story missions. Which are EASY AS HELL. Another thing I did not mention in my Infection review was the Boss difficulty. I fought a Boss in Infection, was at a high level(higher than the level was by like 6 levels) and the Boss was killing Kite in one hit. ONE FUCKING HIT. In Mutation, the Bosses seem easier at least it felt that way. The imbalance on difficulty makes the Gameplay a little less desireable, but I was still glued to the game and it is still the strong point of it.

Gameplay Score: 8.1

Controls

Non-Combat

The X button: Talk, interact; basic action button.

The Square button: Brings up your Party Memembers screen. Here you can change their equipment.

The Triangle button: Brings up the Menu; use items, view status, etc.

The Circle button: Basic cancel button.

The R1 and L1 buttons: Adjust Camera Left and Right.

The L2 button: Change the camera view; thrid or first person.

The R2 button: Resets the camera to the default setting; right behind the character.

The Start button: Open the Options Menus; adjust volume, visuals, etc.

The Left Analog Stick & D-Pad: Moves the character.

The Right Analog Stick: Zooms the Camera In & Out

Combat

The X button: Attack with Weapon; basic action button.

The Square button: Brings up your Party Memembers screen. Here you can tell them what to do(Use Skills, Heal, etc).

The Triangle button: Brings up the Menu; use items, view status, etc.

The Circle button: Basic cancel button.

The R1 and L1 buttons: Adjust Camera Left and Right.

The L2 button: Change the camera view; high or low.

The R2 button: Resets the camera to the default setting; right behind the character.

The Start button: Open the Options Menus; adjust volume, visuals, etc.

The Left Analog Stick & D-Pad: Moves the character.

The Right Analog Stick: Zooms the Camera In & Out

Controls Score: 9.5

Graphics

The graphical quality in Mutation is the same as in Infection. Everything is colorful and looks pretty nice. A new Root Town is discovered in the Theta Server and it looks sweet. It looks like Zanarkand from Final Fantasy X. A city lighting up the night sky. Very cool. I did watch one scene that annoyed the hell out of me though. It is some dialogue between Kite and Mistral. When Kite speaks, his mouth moves. When Mistral speaks, her mouth doesn't. What the fuck is up with that? It happens randomly throughout the game. Another issue I have is the boss designs. You fight a Wall and a big Leaf. WTF? They look retarded. I think the GFX capabilities of the PS2 could have inspired something better than Walls and Leaves. But overall, it is as enjoyable as Infection.

Graphics Score: 8.0

Sound

I am still stuck with the same feelings about the music. It is bland and you forget it instantly. Nothing stands out in Mutation. The Score is the same Techno garbage. I mean, it would be cool if this game had a great music line up but it is so dull. It's like what elevator music is going to be in the future. A basic tune with random tempo and some beeps and boops. They could at least have ONE SONG that I could enjoy. But no. Sometimes I play this game with the music off. And the voice acting, dear god, is FUCKING TERRIBLE. You meet new characters with different voices and they are SHIT. Except for Wiseman's voice. I like the idea that I'm speaking with Spike from Cowboy Bebop. But the character, Rachel. Oh my god, does she sound horrid. They gave her this Jersey accent and it is FAIL. I want to find that voice actress and slap the ho. And then there are the typical high pitched, whiny, squeky voices. Seriously, what the HELL is the obsession with these voices? Would you willingly listen someone scrapping bricks on glass? That's what it sounds like. Attention Game Companies: NO ONE LIKES ANNOYING SOUNDING BITCHES THAT SCREAM LIKE DYING MICE.

Sound Score: 5.5

Unique/Extra Features Updated

Grunties: The animal and vehicle in Mutation. They appear to be a mix between a Cow and a Pig. You raise them by collecting "Grunty Food." Grunty Food are found in Fields and Dungeons. Each one you collect will alter the raising cycle of a Grunty. There are various types of Grunty Food and determining on what type of area you are in will decide what type of Grunty Food will appear. When a Grunty is fully raised, you will have the ability to summon them when you are in Fields. They provide for faster travel. If you continue to raise Grunties, they will become NPCs in Root Towns and you can Trade Items with them. You can raise different types of Grunties. A message on the Board indicates that once each type of Grunty is raised in every Server, you can take part in the "Flag Races." Since only 3 Servers are available in Mutation, you can not participate yet.

Sidequests: The sidequests that Mutation provide are character based. They are optional and only have the goal of adding a new Perty Member to your roster. To obtain the characters, you have to fetch the item that they desire from a location. When a character is recruited, you will be able to accompany them in future quests as the stroy progresses. These sidequests will result in obtaining special items or equipment.

E-Mails: Throughout Mutation(and Infection), you can communicate with any character you recruited via E-mail on your Desktop. You can reply with three pre determined messages.

Liminality: A Bonus Anime DVD that tells the story of Yuki Aihara(more at the end). Bonus Areas can be found by exploring the Liminality DVD and by watching it.

Continual Play: After you beat Mutation, you can continue to play and explore the game. Bonus areas are also unlocked upon completing the game.

My Thoughts: Unique/Extra Features

Lets get this out of the way. Why the FUCK would you tell me that I can race Grunties, and not have it available in the game? What is the fucking point? Just to tease me? Fuck you game. Fuck you. Besides from that, the extra activities are about the same as in Infection. Some sidequests and Grunty raising. The DVD is shorter but is actually more exciting(more below). I liked the extra area after you beat the game. It looks awesome. Probably the best designed level in the game. The E-mails are cool and stupid at the same time. The pre-determined responses you choose from are stupid. For Example, Natsume likes The Lord of the Rings(as she tells you in an E-mail). But Kite doesn't know what it is. I do. In fact, you get a lot of E-mails detailing what characters are interested in and about 90% of the time, Kite has NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE. It is annoying and ridiculous. And once again, the continual play is an awesome feature. But everything is about the same.

Unique/Extra Features Score: 8.0

Replay Value

Ignoring the fact that the whole series should be relayed and not just the second part of the game, the replay value is low. Basically, my thoughts for the Replay are the same as in my Infection review. The continual play makes a good replacement for Replay Value. So I guess the only solid opinion I can give is that I would rather play Infection again then Mutation.

Replay Value: 4.1

Overall/Final Thoughts

Mutation is not as good as Infection. The game seems really short which leads me to wonder why the series is split into four games. The beginning of the game is pretty overwhelming. I got carried away with trying to get all new equipment from the new Server. Which is pretty cool. But when I went to grind levels, it was pretty annoying. Why do you have to play as a Twin Blade?? I HATE this class. The attacks are worthless and I have no choice but to mash the X button and grumble through it. The new difficulty was annoying as well as the monsters. I think I got pissed way too many times when I was fighting in the game. But still, I was hooked. Going to different areas and finding Rare Items makes all the trouble worth it. I do wish the character development would be, like, EXISTENT. Back to the game feeling short, I didn't gain as many levels as I did in Infection and there seemed to be less story quests. When I beat the game, I was shocked at what the game time was at. But for Mutation overall, it could have been better but it still had the addictive quality.

Overal Rating: 6.8

.hack//Liminality Part 2: In the Case of Yuki Aihara

This quick overview will only makes sense if you read the previous Liminality review. Tokuoka begins to meet people he gamed with in The World. One being Yuki Aihara. Yuki is at the movies when everything starts to shutdown and glitch. She is trapped in the building and has to find a way out. Meanwhile, Mai Minase does research about the guy who created The World. The entire district of Yokohama is shut down and is in smokes and The World has some connection to it. Yuki is joined by Kaoru Asaba in the building and they try to find a way out.

My Thoughts: Liminality

This episodes was shorter than the previous one, but better. It had some more drama and you can tell how The World is affecting the outside world. It's kinda freaky to that computer systems can be corrupted enough to shutdown cities. But then again, it's a fucking game that causing it and that makes the whole idea kinda lame. But ignoring that, this episode of Liminality was pretty entertaining.

Last edited:
Back