BAD WORDS...Which ones bother you?

Roland_Deschain

Transcending what is, with what could be.
Veteran
Currently working in China, born in the U S of A (
Gil
ok guys. We have all been called bad words, some of them we brush off or just ignore or don't really care about in general.

I think most people have one or two words that really piss them off when they are called. Today we are going to have a little share time.

Tell us what words make you the most angry to be called and tell us why.

For me the word "faggot"...its not that I hate gay people...the word just sounds so ugly to me, and I get pissed off to no end when someone calls me this.

"Bitch" is another word that makes me mad when called, first of all I am a man so this angers me in more ways than one.

And "iggnorant". I do not like being called iggnorant because I really think I am an open minded person and even though its not a curse word...it still makes me mad.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't really get angry over words; there's really no point to it. What matter to me is the way its said; that carries over more. Hell, even the language you say it in makes a difference.

For example, and not trying to be mean or anything but, German sounds harsh and if you say things in it, it sounds offensive, or at least derogatory whether it is or not. The reverse is true for French. Unless you knew the translation, calling you a piece of shit could sound like I just complemented you. Granted I'm generalizing but the idea is there.

Personally, I think the way we treat words is asinine.

Oh come on man. This thread isnt intended for us to all seem morally perfect. Its just like a pet peeve thread. Every person has been insulted with words before and even if they say it never bothered them....we do not buy that =P. When someone insults you with words you may act like you do not care but the truth of the matter is that deep down your coords get struck. Be honest and tell me what words strike your coords =P

Word don't matter to me. It's come to the point in society today that the only times that these "curse words" are even bad is in the company of other generations. We've desensitized ourselves to them for the most part.

Like I said, for me its the feeling they're spoken with, not the word itself.

Despite being a man who avoids swearing publicly (I do swear often in my mind and on my own), even with friends, I do not get offended by swear words at all.

What hurts me more are when people are a bit more personal about it, and it is actually true. When people have labelled me a 'broken toy', a 'robot', a 'statue' or any other similar thing it has affected me more than anyone randomly calling me an assfaced-n*bhead. That said, I don't mind much that people say these things either, as it is true and I need to work on (and have been working on) learning to express myself to become a bit more interesting, and an actual proper person.

All of that said, I've yet to really be on the receiving end of a huge swearing rant. I've not had highly-charged swear words flung at me by loud-mouthed aggressive people, though I've been witness to it several times. If I was on the receiving end of a huge rant then I'd probably feel very uncomfortable in the moment, but I wouldn't be bothered by the words themselves, more so the fact that someone was violent towards me.

Since I'm not a member of a so-called minority there aren't very many swear words to use against me that aren't just general words. As such, I don't get offended.

I'd be with Argor on this one, there are no real curse words as such that I would take offence at. We live in a world where these days it would be common to greet your friends with an insult or curse. The only insults that really affect people nowadays are those that directly apply to them, and quite often those aren't even bad words. For example a friend of mine recently had their girlfriend call them 'bi-polar' in a fight, and that got to them much more than any curse ever would.

It depends on how the word is used. If someone calls me a Faggot and they mean it in the worst possible way, then of course it's going to offend me and it's going to bother me. And I'm going to punch them. But if it's a friend of mine who says it, then it's just a joke between us.

Any word can bother me, it's more about how the meaning is used than the actual meaning itself.

None, really. I could care less about what names someone throws at me, I've been called a lot by people, so I don't give a dang anymore.

None of them bother me. I don't really see how anyone can get offended by words like cunt etc etc. I'm not really a minority either, so ethnic slurs don't bother me either, I use words like faggot all the time. I don't really see the point in being offended by what people say. I sometimes get annoyed when people say stupid things, but far more often than not, things like that amuse me.

I think I agree mostly with what Argor said.

I used to have a real issue with the word Cunt, i hated it because it just sounds disgusting but now I don't really care about it.
I don't like personal attacks, sentences that people say about you personally designed to really cut deep.

This will sound a bit weird. But I hate the word pussy only because I was exposed to it in a less than pleasant way and it brings up not so cool memories.

And in general I hate when people use the word to get someone to do something that they are not comfortable with.

When a certain someone calls me a slut or a whore I get very angry but only because of the context and not so much the word itself.

The only one I hate really is bitch. It just sounds wrong when someone calls someone else a bitch. I don't get mad if someone is joking around and says "you son of a bitch", its just the word alone that gets me upset and mad

It isn't so much what I'm called that bothers me. How it's said has more effect on whether I get angry or not.

If someone calls me a name with the intent of insulting me, I tend to get angry. If someone happens to be joking around with me, then there's literally nothing they could call me that would get under my skin.

Well I hate racial epithets, I'm touchy-feely about 'em. So if someone I didn't know, regardless of their race, called me a ****** I would be deeply upset and offended. Just plug in any racial slur and I'm still going to be defended and I'll become one upset, "disrespectful" girl. That said, any general derogatory insult doesn't offend me it's just the context that would cause me to come upset. I've been called everything from a 'bitch' to a 'cunt' to a 'slut' by everyone from friends in a joking manner to my boyfriend because we have a very twisted sense of humor. Hell even my own family members have used derogatory words against me or at the very least made implications, needless to say that offended me.

So to clarify, racial slurs are a no-no.
Derogatory words like 'asshole', 'cunt', 'slut', 'fucker', only offend me if used in a specific context or with the intent to like offend or threaten me. Otherwise those words won't affect me.

None of them offend me anymore than the last.
The only thing i dont like is when you hear little kids swearing every other word. Sure adults do it aswell and thats who theyve most likely picked it up from but it just sounds dirty.

I hate being called a bitch... and i get called an engish twat cause of my accent.

How very dare people say that to me :( xx

I think it's partly what one thinks is the definition of "bothered". I don't think any word bothers me. I certainly will think less of you if you use for example, racial slurs in a non-ironic fashion. I don't know does that qualify as "bothered". I think using a racial slur in a "serious" manner doesn't make me bothered, it's just me accurately describing you an idiot from that moment on (which is proven by your serious use of an offensive racial slur)

:)

I don't particularly care for any swearing. Really they are just low blows or cheap/dirty insults at people and when we start swearing a lot... if there are kids around us, they will pick it up (like Lew said) ...and then you have 4 and 5 year olds swearing... which is rather displeasing.

The worst "swear" to me is when people take Christ's name in vain...it rubs me the wrong way.

Swearing is also rather unnecessary because if you really wanted to tell someone off you could do choose to do it a little more intelligently...people who swear a lot don't look cooler in my opinion...it just makes them look stupid :wacky:

I don't give a shit what anybody says to me. They're just words, and they're only bad if you want them to be.

No curse words really bother me, really. I've been called some pretty awful shit in my lifetime, but in all honesty, I probable deserved more than half of it. :wacky:

I typically try not to curse in front of kids, but there are times it'll slip out. I've been told that I have a rather dirty mouth and I would have to agree, really. It's not that I go around cursing on purpose, I just can't really help it. But strangely enough, when I'm angry at someone and telling them off, I don't curse at all. I'm more insulting for all the wrong reasons and I'll tear someone a new one without ever using one. :gasp:

But speaking with me in general, it's not unusual to hear words like, "shit", "fuck", "ass", and things of that nature. I don't think it makes me look cool or anything, I just can't help it. I've been cussing since I was like... 8. My parents were big on cussing, it rubbed off on me, and they never punished me for it. :rofl:

But all in all, it's just words. And if you're stupid enough to let them bother you, than it's your own damned fault, really. Lighten up. :elmo:

Last edited:
Back