CDC Issues Zombie Outbreak Advice

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
Normal natural disasters are floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes and being prepared for disaster means being ready for any type of emergency -- including zombies. On Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention blogged about preparing for disaster and reminded readers that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, basic preparedness will help even if there are flesh-eaters roaming.

The CDC recommends that planning ahead for zombies is really no different than preparing for other types of disaster. The same basic principles apply.
Planning ahead for any type of disaster or emergency requires the same basic items: Food (nonperishable of course) and water (one gallon per day per person), medications (both over the counter and prescription medications), tools and supplies (basic stuff like utility knives, duct tape, radio, flashlights, batteries, etc.), sanitation and hygiene (soap, shampoo, bleach, feminine products, towels and lots of toilet paper), clothing and bedding (extra clothes for every family member, blankets), important documents (copies of birth certificates, social security cards, driver's licenses, insurance cards, etc.), first aid supplies.

As with any other emergency, in the event of zombies you should have an emergency plan that includes evacuation plans and a safe place to get away from the zombies.

According to the CDC blog, if a zombie apocalypse breaks out, the CDC will investigate the event just like they would any other disease outbreak. CDC investigation and assistance would include "consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine)." Just like any other disease outbreak, the CDC would try to determine where and how the outbreak started and would make every effort to determine how to best deal with an outbreak of zombies.

Learning the source of the infection would include discovering if a virus or toxin caused the outbreak and if there is any treatment or cure.
The CDC encourages citizens to be prepared for any emergency event--whether it is zombies or the more common hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes. Emergency planning for zombies will also suffice in the event of such natural disasters but as always the CDC urges everyone to be ready for whatever might a hazard and disruption of our daily lives.

It is good to know the CDC is willing to take the time to address the concerns of the public rather than scoff at the idea of a zombie apocalypse. Even more so, anyone who is prepared to face zombies is ready to deal with whatever Mother Nature chooses to throw their way, so it's all good.
Sauce: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110518...nds_preparing_for_all_disasters__even_zombies

So... for YEARS you motherfuckers have been laughing at me for having a zombie contingency plan. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, BITCHES?! AND GUESS WHO AIN'T LETTING ANY OF YOU BASTARDS IN MY UNDERGROUND HIDEOUT WHEN YOU FUCKS COME KNOCKING! :rage:

But seriously... what does the CDC know that we don't? :ahmed:

Discuss. :ryan:

All I can say is bring it I've been prepared for years now,if any zombies come at me be it family or friend I will not hesitate ~.~ but i dont have enough ammo to cleanse the world so you all better help me!

but in all seriousness Im impressed the CDC is taking this seriously I would have thought they would just say this to humor people =/

Wonderful to see that all the bases are being covered. I'm sure there are plans for an alien invasion as well. I shall rest easily tonight knowing that there is an institution out there preparing for the well-known non-fictional disaster that is a zombie apocalypse. :ryan:

You can prepare me for a zombie apocalypse all you want, but I'll be unlikely to survive anyway. I suppose there is one bit that makes sense, and that's the bit about finding the source of a virus or a toxin to learn how to create the panacea. Supposing if the more likely event of an epidemic influenza outbreak happens - which is still pretty likely to be honest - then that would be something we would have to prepare for.

ive got a full body suit made out of chainmail so im fucking good to go like. Ive seen almost all zombie films dating back from the old black and white classics to the 80s italian gore flicks to most modern the walking dead. Ive also played the games. You can be assured i will survive to help repopulate the earth. Itl be a tough job but i think i can do it.

I have a plan to kill all zombies. Rain hell from above on them. Although we are fucked if they have Zombie snipers. If it happens one day, so be it. Alien invasion would be worse though. I mean they can melt us with those ray guns they have! :gasp:! This is no different than all the end of the world shit that goes around. Zombies really? If they do come I am bringing the fight to them bastards. :mokken:

Lol what the media has done to us. I ain't suprised that someone has finally issued this considering the increasing popularity of zombie films. Feed people's imaginations I guess.

Alas, in all seriousness, I doubt many of us would survive. Survival would most likely mean learning how to use firearms, which would rule out most Brits, and there has to be a physical aspect to it as well, like, major stamina, and a lot of strength would probably be needed, flexibility as well.

...I'm starting to think only Batman would be able to survive this :hmmm:

Last edited:
There will be no zombie attacks...yall are crazy.

If I were in my home in America I would be set, I have 3 shotguns and a pistol. I can hunt for provisions and kill them with ease.

If they attack when I am still in China than I am fucked. There are 8 times the American population and not even the fucking police have guns so I would be dead as hell.

There really would be no hope for me if a zombie apocalypse were to happen. I just hope I'd make a cool looking zombie. I'd probably put a costume on prior to being mauled, so I'd be 'Clown Zombie' or 'Schoolboy Zombie'

Oh this is gorgeous. I'll either be surviving simply because nobody will be able to find me or die because I'll want to be a zombie.... yeah I'm weird like that. But seriously this is awesome. I knew that Zombie Survival Guide I bought would come in handy! =D

But seriously... what does the CDC know that we don't? :ahmed:

That people are dumb. And paranoid. Not any of you wonderful persons, of course. But on the whole........ yeah.

This really seems like a giant troll from the gub'mint/CDC in my opinion. Like patronizing children with overactive imaginations. "All right, dear, I'll check under your bed for monsters before you go to sleep."

If thats the case I'll be sure to go to the CDC and piss on the corpses of the zombie eaten workers when that day comes XD I suspect Survivors would go there anyways ((Curse you Walking dead for making sense!))

Back