Game of Thrones TV Series

Squid

Suck my dick.
Veteran
Gil
Game of Thrones, the new TV series based off the book 'A Game of Thrones' by George R. R. Martin from the series 'A Song of Ice and Fire'.

What do you all think of it so far? There have only been 3 episodes released so far by HBO and I can tell you I am thoroughly enjoying it!! Every single part of the TV show is amazing! The Actors, the Scenery, everything! I can't wait for each episode each week!

I love that it is following the book properly unlike a lot of other movies/tv shows based on books which skip a lot of important stuff.

I love Ayra Stark, the actress plays the girl really well, she is funny and really likable!
Tyrion Lancaster the imp is also hilarious and is probably my second fav!

(Also how cute are their Direwolves?)

Anyway, are you enjoying it so far?

(Edit: 900th post :britt:)

I've only seen the first two episodes(though I have the third waiting on my hard drive for when I get home from college) and so far I'm really enjoying it. I read the first three books so I'm happy with how well the show is following them, except for the fact that I remeber Drogo being much kinder to Daenyeres from the beginning. The acting really is sublime, Sean Bean was a great choice as Ned and he has great supporting actors. Loving pretty much everything about this show at the minute

The production quality is appropriately high and the casting is good. For a TV series, the pacing is thought out and well executed, but there are a few mishaps that could have been avoided and would have made the series more powerful.

1) The Dothraki are not stock barbarians. How they were presented in the show is utterly cliche and shamelessly uncreative.

2) The music is god awfully generic, and the opening sequence is cheap, jarring and uninspired. A montage of the key set locations shot by actual cameras would do more to immerse us in the vast fantasy setting. Or something along the opening to Deadwood. Basically something real, dirty and visceral.

3) Some characters were portrayed in specific ways as to make you like them more or hate them. Take the Queen for example, so far no redeeming qualities. Take for example the scene in the 3rd episode where she talks to her son about fucking wenches and how even if he's wrong he's right as king etc etc. From what I understand, that wasn't in the novel. TV is good at this, particularly HBO. When there are characters you love to hate, the other characters are all the more likable. And there are others too, like every bloody Lanister save the Imp. It's a neat trick, which brings me back to

4) The treatment of the Dothraki, again. Either the makers of the show think we're really thick or they just threw their hands in the air and couldn't spend a tiny bit more of the budget to do the Dothraki justice. They barely show us anything that's symbolic to the Dothraki, like how they do everything that's important to them at night, and how they hate the sea, which begs the question why Drogo thought boning his new child bride in front of the bloody ocean at dusk would be a good idea. From what I understand Drogo met what's her face at a party well dressed and well mannered, and he was caressing her under a starry sky and was gentle. But they couldn't show that now can they? No, let's play tribal drums whenever the Dothraki are on screen. Let's focus more on their brutish behavior, like how they don't say thank you, so much so that it's not even in their language (bullshit). Or how their weddings require at least three kills or how they go from town to town threatening peoples for their lives or their slaves or how they don't believe in the concept of money. Don't get me wrong, I understand that most of these things come straight from the source material, I just hate how they only focused on those things alone. We barely see any hint of civilized behavior or what the Dothraki value at heart. And I understand it's early in the series which could mean either of two things:

a) That's how they intend to portray the Dothraki and they're sticking to it.

b) They're going to reveal the more human and less animalistic side of the Dothraki in later episodes (as well as certain characters) typical of TV storytelling: "I bet you didn't see that coming now didja? Well better tune in next week for more surprises~ GOD I love money :edd:".

Aside from all that, the show is well made, the dialogue is nicely distributed from HBO schlock to direct quoted from the novel ( I say this on a whim, since I didn't read the actual source material, but therer are lines that sound as if they're written for text rather than the screen.) and the young actors are damn talented.

There's only 1 wtf moment I need to bring up. Arya's sword trainer. Did he just come from another show? That dude's insanely eccentric and out of place, but he still manages to make it work. Funny ain't it?

Love the series, now I have to read the books :kelly:

Mod Edit - Since this is a post-count section, please could you expand upon your post? Say something about why you like the series. Thanks. :sad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
GLaDOS

Now that I have read through half of the first book I can really see what you mean about the Dothraki.

In the book they were kinder, the first time Khal had sex with Dany it wasn't forced like they showed in the TV show. She wanted to have sex with him in the book.
Also yeah, they didn't do it by the sea haha

I think they've kind of fixed the Dothraki up in the last two eps, they don't seem as barbaric to me anymore. Dany appreciates them and treats them as her own people and Khal seems to care for Dany like he does in the books.

Episode 5 was amazing though.

It had so much gore (poor horse), and actually showed a penis! (lol immature but its not often you get to see penis in TV shows)

That breast feeding scene was horrific though! Really portrayed Cats sister as crazy!!

This show is the most entertaining thing on television.

The season finale (And especially the episode immediately before it) was amazing. I don't think I can hold out another year for more.

New trailer is out.. :ohshit:

Peter Dinklage(plays Tyrion Lannister) was awarded the 'stud of the year' by GQ magazine in 2011. ^_^

Time for a repeat. :elmo:

I can't wait for April 1st when the second season premieres. By the trailer, things are really getting intense (I'm reading the 2nd book currently though).

The shows definitely don't present the Martin's world and his characters with as much detail as he does in the book. But I think that was a given seeing the differences between the two media (novel series to television). Still though, the show is amazing!

it's tv shows like this that make me hate my morals. i refuse to watch tv shows online at all - i know that streaming technically isn't illegal depending on where the host server is - but i'm still totally against it on principle. i'm going to have to wait until series 2 is released on dvd and watch it all in one sitting. game of thrones also isn't the kind of show i can watch one week at a time.

it has been incredibly well constructed and put together. i haven't read the books yet so i don't know how they compare as adaptations, but i haven't heard anything bad so far. i agree about how fantastically well it has been cast. there was clearly a lot of thought put into it and its paid off.

i've been very thrown by some of the twists so far - mostly by ned stark's, khal drogo's and viserys targaryen's deaths.

I loved the first series to bits as I am a big fan of the books and of the medieval setting, I like the 99.9% British cast and the second series so far is so complex and entertaining...I don't want it to end but sadly it will and I will be gutted but then it will be patience for the awaited third series.

I'm watching this. I don't know what to think about it. :hmm:

I think 1st season was better. 2nd season seems more like a soap opera in a fantasy setting.

Somewhere along the way I gave up caring about the characters.

Maybe, it will get better later? :ohshit:

I'm watching this. I don't know what to think about it. :hmm:

I think 1st season was better. 2nd season seems more like a soap opera in a fantasy setting.

Somewhere along the way I gave up caring about the characters.

Maybe, it will get better later? :ohshit:

I think the problem they are having is trying to show us what is happening to every character and in some cases it is detracting from the overall main plot in which the first series established, I.e Starks at war to kings landed with he Lannisters.

I personally am loving it but can see where your coming form and I hope it does develop on a little more, wish Sean Bean Ed Stark was still alive.

Yeah just started seeing this show and I love it. Lots of wtf moments though. Like bangin your own twin sister. Or seeing a child suckin on mothers tits while the child is way overdue.

But the imp is just legendary damnz, his character is awesome. Also the bastard sons alway being picked on. A lot of depth in the characters. I would like to see more about the white walkers though.

Havent read the books nor will I, but yeah book adaptations are hard to do I guess funding etc. What is with the zombies though?

Im currently at the episode after Ned was executed.....

Can't wait for the Series 3 Premiere tonight. going to spend today having a Series 2 Marathon even though it will be as depressing as ever watching the Blackwater episode again and watching Stannis lose (n) that episode to me felt more like the Season finale then the following episode even though the ending was just as Immense

Trying to read through 'A Storm of Swords' before season 3 starts. Don't think im going to make it :wacky:.

I love this show. One of the few that I'll actually watch and keep up with. Took a while to get into it though. Already know a few things of the plot for this season and can't wait to see how they get portrayed on the screen.

Just finished watching the first episode of season 3. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be but it was by no means a bad episode! It kept me interested through the whole hour and a few interesting things happened but mostly you could tell it was setting itself up for some bigger things to come in the next few episodes.

I am not sure I can wait a whole week for the next episode ;_;

i don't have sky so i cannot watch this legitimately.

how to do it ahhhhhhh :hal:

i'll wait til a few episodes are out and then go to my friend's house to watch it. they have sky so i can watch it there. i will kick their door in at 2am on friday the 26th and plant myself on their sofa.

young boyssssss young boysssssss. HOW TO DO IT. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH :hal:

Im catching up on Season 2 since I never finished it. Hopefully it lives up to the hype ive heard about and I'm looking forward to starting season 3 soon.

it felt like the first episode of this series was setting up a lot of character relationships and conflicts for later on. it didn't particularly get going with a bang, but it's great to see it back again. and then in a couple of months time, we'll all be depressed because there'll be another year to wait for season 4 :sad3:

Just finished the first episode and I like how they set things up. I've heard my friends say that it was kind of boring but not every episode can be action packed. This episode missed out on a bunch of my favorite characters but I like the changes they've made from the book and how they've made most situations a lot less complicated and simplified. It's kind of interesting to see how the show will introduce characters that should have been present a while ago. I suspect the next episode or two will probably have the same pace before things get interesting.

Back