Tactics Delita: Anti Hero or Villain

Guernsey

Final Fantasy Nut
Gil
(I am still playing Final Fantasy Tactics when I post this)

I admit while it is true that Delita did some questionable things and even betrayed his friend Ramza, I don't know if I can call him evil but rather a fallen hero of sorts. Delita is an antagonist in the story but what do you think? Is he a villain, anti hero or anti villain?

Neither. Delita is not modeled after an archetype as to easily label him. Your question reflects that. Since you're still playing the game, I will try to avoid spoilers. Delita is a hero of his own story, though it overlaps with the one Ramza is a part of. Ramza seeks to abolish corrupt governments and religious figures that abuse their power. Delita's objectives has little difference if only his main focus is to end the aristocratic prejudice that greatly affects the lives of Ivalicians. Their approaches, judgements and methods differ greatly, however, and Delita's path though morally questionable opened doors to a more rewarding outcome, yet ironic. The focus is more on the intrigue of moral dilemmas and if you tie my hand behind my back, I would probably label him as an "Anti Hero". Though not in the same sense anti heroes are portrayed. When it comes to character like Gutts from Berserk, or Snake Pliskin from Escape From New York, they are only labeled as suck because of their demeanor, behavior and attitude, not their actions. Delita maintained a rather courteous and well mannered behavior, but it's his actions that are unfavorable, yet with virtuous intent.

Back