Kuja's Gender

akak103

lol, it may call me a Noob, but i'm not
Gil
Who questioned what gender Kuja was in the beginning of the game, when you first seen him? I mean, you see him dress like a girl, act like a girl, and if you played Dissidia, talk like a girl? I mean, we all know that he is a guy, but, did you question it?

:hmmm: I didn't question it... I always figured he was a dude...but i did always get disturbed when seeing his outfit...wondering if he was a tranny or something.

Dispite the guys horrible fashion sense he is still badass and I don't respect him less for it ;)

At first sight? Yes. When his name was mentioned, my thoughts were "Hmm...that's a rather manly name for a woman but eh, so is Helga" then roll on the FMV "...oh my...is that? ...No way" and the rest is history. And from what I remember, Kuja was the first feminine male villain I was exposed to. I would count Frieza from DBZ, but when I think about it, I only thought that was a woman because of its voice, hoarse as it sounded.

Still, Kuja ended up growing on me, and is among my favourite FF villains, though not as much as Kefka. :monster:

I didn't ever think Kuja was female, tbh :hmmm: I can't really say why, but it might be because I've seen characters in other games who've looked effeminate and were actually male, or vice versa, and for some reason he gave off man vibes to me. If you look at some of Thanatos's henchmen in Secret of Mana, especially with the small pixelated graphics, it's very hard to tell whether they're male or female. I actually thought they were all male, but one of them (Fanha or Sheex? Can't remember) is actually female, as is the leader of the Scorpion Army, I'm pretty sure :hmmm: So I guess maybe seeing a male character who looked somewhat effeminate wasn't a new thing for me or something.

I had heard somewhere that he was based off of a girl then they decided to make him a male character. Though, I did not think he was a girl because I played Dissidia before I played FFIX.

I always figured Kuja was male at the beginning of the game as well. I mean, I can see why some can be confused based on his obvious female design and questionable attire. But a male he be.

Well, I didn't really question it, but the first time I saw him I thought "well, ever since graphics have allowed more detail in characters, it seems FF characters are pretty androgynous, better get used to it".

Not that the characters or the bad guys have to be lumberjacks.

Thought he was a girl at first but during the FMV when he flew away on the dragon I thought he was a guy then.

I never questioned the gender of kuja. I really believe he is male despite of his appearance and also you can notice his movement in the game when battling him and there you will figure out he is a boy

I briefly did think he was a woman when I first confronted him in Burmecia by looking at his in-game render. I don't exactly remember what it was that finally made the penny drop. It was either the FMV scene that follows on or parts of a dialogue that included either "man" or a pronoun referring to Kuja. There was also the fact that I did briefly read over some information on the game before playing it and I should have really not recalled seeing Kuja being ever referred to as a female. Still, after the confirmation that he is indeed a man in drag, I just accepted it. I was already aware of the fact that a lot of men in Japanese fictional media are portrayed to look effeminate, so I didn't raise many eyebrows.

Thought he was a girl at first but during the FMV when he flew away on the dragon I thought he was a guy then.

Lol, even at that time, when I first seen that FMV, I thought he was still a girl!, but later on in the game, he appeared more to be a man!

Well,his face looks girly but his body points otherwise.I figured out pretty fast he was a guy.

MAN THONG! lol yeah i always thought he was a Lad. Its only until i battled him and saw his ingame battle model and i thought they must of made him a lass and changed their minds. Thats the only explanation in my eyes. xxx

No I didnt but then again ive played alot of rpg's and such where boys look like girls and girls look like boys...perhaps im warrped a bit much but I think its the norm for alot of game/manga/anime and since I am one of those geeks it didnt phase me in the least.

I had heard somewhere that he was based off of a girl then they decided to make him a male character. Though, I did not think he was a girl because I played Dissidia before I played FFIX.

why would you play dissidia first thats just asking for spoilers

If you're looking for canon proof, the Zidane clearly refers to Kuja as a 'brother' at some point in the game. (Avoiding spoilers as usual)

Still, I have to admit there was a lot of gender confusion when I was playing. I mean, seriously, he was wearing a freaking bikini?! Or at least something that looked eerily similar to that. When I realized he was male, I was horrified.

Back