Battle System: Great or terrible?

josef1995

ShinRa Guard
Gil
Is the battle system great or terrible? Do you prefer the active time battle? Do you prefer the active dimension battle? Or you really like the conditional turn-based one?

For me, this is the best battle system. It's because of you can just plan of what are you going to do next. Call it strategy. How 'bout you guys? What's your opinions?

It was alright at times, because I could plan out what I was going to do. Other times, it was boring because I didn't have the rush factor to make me react quickly when someone is almost dead. It was like "Oh, Tidus needs health, eh? Let's use.....................................you know what, let's just swap him out." In other FFs, it's like "Oh shit, I need to heal him. *uses Hi-Potion* Done."

I do sometimes enjoy the ATB to keep me on my toes, as shown above.

I really loved how you could switch party members during battle, it was great how it made it necessary to use all of the characters' skills.

I also like having a lot of time to decide what you're going to do.. I don't like the rushed feeling, I also hesitate a lot.

I loved seeing exactly which character/enemy was going to take a turn next. It gave you so much more time to plans things out and strategize your battle. This was extremely helpful for the main bosses in the game and definitely for the Monster Arena bosses.

Even though you could take as much time as possible, I don't really think it slowed down the game much since you could just mash or hold the button down and attack like an active ATB battle in older games.

Overall, great system. Different than the past FF's, but definitely a big help late in the game with some badass enemies.

I liked it a lot, it's my favourite battle system.
You've got all the time in the world to think about your moves. It also shows you how each attack will effect when your characters have their next turn, what effects an attack will have on the enemy. You could plan everything, and you never felt you were being rushed into attacking.

I liked it, it was typical Final Fantasy style type of battle system. I suppose it made the game a little easier then if it were like the X-2 battle system, but it worked well with the game and didn't feel tedious as with the latest game. I thought controlling the Aeon in battle was a great touch to.

The battle system for this game is my favorite. You can switch characters in and out in the middle of battle. That allows me to make sure everybody gets a hit so that that all get the experience; also I can pick the perfect people to take down my opponent.

I loved the fact that this game used the CTB gauge instead of the ATB. Don't get me wrong I also like the ATB that has been used in numberous FF Games, but this one just brought a whole new and different feel. There were some battles I was happy to have the CTB system, like the Boss battle Evrae (sp?) on the airship. If that was in ATB mode I think I'd just have to quit the game. haha.

All in all, I loved the battle system in FFX. It wasn't GREAT because I did get bored at certain points but I still enjoyed it none the less. =).

It's the best battle system in the series. It gives you a great amount of freedom with giving you the opportunity to switch characters on the fly, and seeing each turn beforehand allows for some elaborate tactics.

I think the battle system made the game almost...too easy, It's one of the few FF games where I never got stuck, Just like Caradiac Kid said. No rush to heal anyone, and you could sit there and think it out carefully instead of any of the other FF's I mean I guess you could "pause" the game, but you never really knew when the enemy would attack, and in this one it was just so easy to figure out ever move that a boss was going do also. Don't get me wrong it was a new style and I liked it, but it almost made the game too easy in my opinion.

I think it's great.

The only real difference between this battle system and other battle systems (for me) was that it was generally more of a pain in the ass to take full advantage of your items because you didn't know where they were by heart.

So much time is wasted looking for the right item, it's pretty annoying sometimes.

How much you like it will probably be influenced by how early you were exposed to it,hence shaping your taste in RPGs.I like it,you can clearly see that they adjusted the way the battles work for the new system,they aren't so much "harder" as simply requiring more thought the first time around.

It's good on replays too,though,because you want to figure out the best possible way of taking down a guy.Few feats in gaming satisfy me more than comming up with a perfect strategy and executing it perfectly.:busta:

I enjoyed this battle system quite a bit.

Sure, it lacked the adrenaline rush feel of the standard ATB system that the older FFs had...but this battle system was a lot more technical. You have to carefully plan out your moves and you could directly see how spells like Haste and Slow affected the turn order.

Besides, I never liked frantically searching through my items to find a Potion before some boss destroyed me. I don't like to be rushed, so this was the battle system for me.

It depended on the battle, like say, a boss, sure, you had to wait, you take damage, and your party member dies before you can do anything about it, but yeah, it was a good battle systems, even though it is completely different.

The battle system for X was actually pretty good and the only thing I really liked from the game. I liked that it was Turn Based and that you got to see when everyone's turn was. The best thing though was cycling the characters in and out. This way you can easily build up everyone's stats in each battle instead of having to physically switch people out in between. This was a plus for me considering I love to grind in RPGs.

If I were to address some criticism though, it would be towards some of the character's limit breaks(or whatever they're called in X). I liked the idea of mini games, but some were useless. I never liked Wakka's Reels, didn't liked how I had to pretty much snap the analog stick to do Lulu's multiple spells, Kimahri's,,,I'm not even going there, it was LAME.

Overall, pretty good. If only the rest of the game was as fun as the battle system.

I really liked the battle system. I loved that I could switch characters out as well. It's annoying in other games that I can't do that. I liked the fact that monsters didn't destroy you if you weren't fast enough. Also, you could really think about what you were going to do instead of just pushing X a lot. It was nice.

I liked it just as much as the ATB. I think both had their weak points and strong points. As pointed out I think it made you think out your moves strategically. However, I don't think it made battles easier what with taking out the rush of the ATB. I had a tough time getting through some bosses like Seymour Omnis even with the battle system.

On a side note, I found the sphere system interesting because it assigned a certain class to each character without forcing you to keep it that way.

I thought it was fine.

I'm not sure if there were any settings to change this, but the enemies still wait oh-so-lovingly-patiently for you to make your right, life-changing decisions. That, and there was the interaction with the environment for some battles, which actually looks good, thanks to the high quality graphics that set a standard for the series.

That, and the character switching feature. I didn't use it often, but it did save me a few times when the boss monster gets a bit too harsh on me. Swap in someone else to take the blow, and swap back for a continuation.

I try to avoid that though, for the affections. (That, and purposefully refusing to heal up the party so Tidus can spam potions on them in battle)

I think the battle system is simplistic and easy to follow. I like it. I also find it a little boring in comparison to some others, though. Still, it's not bad.

I only liked being able to switch characters.

I wished that it were timed, otherwise I could just sit there planning my next move. I twas too easy.

Back