Battle System: Great or terrible?

Yeah, first it confused me on why there was no action bar, but then I realised it was because it was about taking turns and planning your strategy based on which order. I prefer it to VII and VIII because taking turns felt more relaxed, fun and strategic in battle. And I prefer it to XIII because the idea was more to do with using each character to their advantage, rather than setting a system that dynamically changes their list of abilities. However it does make perfect sense why X-2 had dress spheres and XIII had paradigm shifts. With X you could replace characters without wasting a turn so naturally a job system wasn't required as each character had a distinct advantage, assuming they still have that if you replace all their roles by 85%. As with X-2, you only had three characters so the main advantage was that you could change your set of abilities to fit the best role for the battle, and I think the idea for XIII was the same albeit having multiple segments with calculative automation to make up for lack of variety between the abilities of certain roles and urgency of paradigm shifting. Not meaning to strike a debate, that's just how it comes across to me and I appreciate the concepts.

Anyway I'm rambling, X is my favourite of the franchise and the battle system is one of the reasons. Fun, relaxed and strategic. Being able to replace characters in battle, and controlling Aeons as party members were both amazing features which I deeply favoured.

Yeah, first it confused me on why there was no action bar, but then I realised it was because it was about taking turns and planning your strategy based on which order. I prefer it to VII and VIII because taking turns felt more relaxed, fun and strategic in battle. And I prefer it to XIII because the idea was more to do with using each character to their advantage, rather than setting a system that dynamically changes their list of abilities. However it does make perfect sense why X-2 had dress spheres and XIII had paradigm shifts. With X you could replace characters without wasting a turn so naturally a job system wasn't required as each character had a distinct advantage, assuming they still have that if you replace all their roles by 85%. As with X-2, you only had three characters so the main advantage was that you could change your set of abilities to fit the best role for the battle, and I think the idea for XIII was the same albeit having multiple segments with calculative automation to make up for lack of variety between the abilities of certain roles and urgency of paradigm shifting. Not meaning to strike a debate, that's just how it comes across to me and I appreciate the concepts.

Anyway I'm rambling, X is my favourite of the franchise and the battle system is one of the reasons. Fun, relaxed and strategic. Being able to replace characters in battle, and controlling Aeons as party members were both amazing features which I deeply favoured.

I agree, the battle system in FFX is quite fun and unique and now having a little experience with a FF game before XIII I can see the similarities in where XIII drew from FFX. I really am enjoying this game so far. I'm still really near the beginning so I haven't seen the full potential of the battle system quite yet and the story is just getting started too. I have a long way to go. I also noticed none of the enemies have any visible health bars either. Is this a feature you unlock later or do you basically have to hold on to dear life hoping the enemy is almost dead?

I agree, the battle system in FFX is quite fun and unique and now having a little experience with a FF game before XIII I can see the similarities in where XIII drew from FFX. I really am enjoying this game so far. I'm still really near the beginning so I haven't seen the full potential of the battle system quite yet and the story is just getting started too. I have a long way to go. I also noticed none of the enemies have any visible health bars either. Is this a feature you unlock later or do you basically have to hold on to dear life hoping the enemy is almost dead?

There's an equipment upgrade called "Sensor" you can get later. It shows you the enemy's health in the corner of the screen, but only if the cursor is on the character with it equipped.

There's an equipment upgrade called "Sensor" you can get later. It shows you the enemy's health in the corner of the screen, but only if the cursor is on the character with it equipped.

Awesome, I figured there would be a health bar eventually or some way to unlock it. I'll keep an eye out for that. Without a health bar it becomes quite a game of poker face since you just don't know how much an enemy has left and I need to decide to heal and waste a potion or go for another attack lol

Awesome, I figured there would be a health bar eventually or some way to unlock it. I'll keep an eye out for that. Without a health bar it becomes quite a game of poker face since you just don't know how much an enemy has left and I need to decide to heal and waste a potion or go for another attack lol

Yeah, I fought a boss the other day that was immune to Sensor. Was terrible, didn't know when the battle would end and I didn't even get much of a reward either. Wasted my rare items.

The friends that I have that I know have played FFX as well as the legacy installments tend to say rather negative things about FFX's battle system. The whole fact that it is turn based turns many people off. However, in my opinion, it was a nice change of pace for the series. The fact that you are able to plan your moves in advance and are able to have better control of the battlefield is a pretty attractive aspect.

I liked FFX battle system I think it was very well done and gave me tons of control over my party. I though the best part of it was the fact that your could switch party member in and out of battle so easily. Even though there was only 3 members on screen at the time it still felt like I was fighting with all 7 of my party members because of how easy they made it. There was even times I took out the wrong party member and put them back all without wasting a turn. I felt like it was a well done system that gave you compete control over your whole party. With newer battle systems like ff12 it sometimes feels like you don't have as much control over your party. I wouldn't say its revolutionary but its works well and there's nothing major to complain about.

Battle system was a bit too easy, but i liked that it was easy because you took advantage of every option, not because there was some obscure method like a certain FF game.

they could've made it harder, and theres definitely room for this battle system to return and be made harder.

Idunno. I'm so-so with the battling system that X has offered us as a game. I thought that it was very simplistic, yet, I kind of wanted more from it. I didn't particularly like having to switch out my characters all that well... but if I didn't, they wouldn't get any points at the end of the battle... and I always seemed to forget my characters.. It made it hard and rather tedious when it came down to grinding... ugh. the agony. :gonk: but at the same time, it wasn't that awful.

Last edited:
Idunno. I'm so-so with the battling system that X has offered us as a game. I thought that it was very simplistic, yet, I kind of wanted more from it. I didn't particularly like having to switch out my characters all that well... but if I didn't, they wouldn't get any points at the end of the battle... and I always seemed to forget my characters.. It made it hard and rather tedious when it came down to grinding... ugh. the agony. :gonk: but at the same time, it wasn't that awful.

You could always do what you do in other FF games to grind, and just use one set of characters at a time.

You could always do what you do in other FF games to grind, and just use one set of characters at a time.

That... that my friend... is as very good point :hmmm:

In fact I didn't even bother to think of it like that.

Well, I've been wanting to re-play FFX because they remastered it so when I get my hands on the game i'll keep that in mind :monster:

That... that my friend... is as very good point :hmmm:

In fact I didn't even bother to think of it like that.

Well, I've been wanting to re-play FFX because they remastered it so when I get my hands on the game i'll keep that in mind :monster:

The first time I played the game I never really bothered switching roles in battle unless it was during a boss battle really. Because there's 7 characters though it does mean that there's no equal split, but I tend not to use Kimahri anyway since he's basically fodder in my mind lol

Back