Battle System: Great or terrible?

I liked it, switching characters in battle was good and seeing when it's the enemie's turn lets me plan ahead however I also liked in the prevoius games not knowing when it's the enemies turn.

I like every kind of battle system within the Final Fantasy universe, and I don't see a problem with FFX's - it allowed for more thought and strategy into the players next turn.

The battle system in X is my absolute favourite. :yay:

Although it's true the turn based system releases the gamer from quick thinking, it allows you to truly develop a strategy. As long as your characters are at a suitable level, random encounters and boss battles can still be quite a challenge. Quite often, you have to plan for several turns ahead, healing at the opportune moment, predicting how much HP will be chipped away by a series of enemy attacks. Winning or losing can depend very much on what you do and when: you can't heal your party too often when an enemy heals itself; you must heal enough before enemies (usually bosses) perform their ultimate attack and deal a lot of damage to your entire party.

In order to complete the game, you have to understand the battle system and your party. You have to understand your enemies and have to be able to predict future turns. I think it's genius. :lew:

I think the battle system is good...but also very boring. You can literally just sit there and take your time.
9's battle system was very similar but if you didn't hurry and have your turn, the enemy would then take another turn instead so it felt more exciting to me.

The thing I do like about X's battle system though is that I can just leave it and go to the loo or make a snack or some thing whenever I want :griin:

In my opinion, it's one of the best in the series, mainly due to the ability to tag partners in and out of battle. The strategy that goes a long with it makes it one of the most entertaining battle systems in the series. And SE took a risk with tossing the ATB system in favor of the Conditional Turn Based Battle System. It was risky, but it paid off. Not say that the FF's with the ATB are inferior, that's far from the truth. Just that in this case it worked out well.

And it's also one of my favorites because we have the ability to control the summons, unlike previous FF's.

FFX has painfully dull equipment. One of the great things about FF is getting bunches of armor and weapons, making battling more interesting, and X simply fails in that respect. But the battle strategy of the game made up for it, so I liked it.

I remember being extremely impressed by the battle system at the time. Though I didn't really care on way or the other whether it was ATB or turn based. I was impressed by the ability to control summons for the first time. When I replay the game now I still experience the same enjoyment I did the first time and I think the battle system has a part to play in this.

I felt it had a good pacing to it and I liked how the turns of the characters were haphazard and based upon the amount of agility you character had etc. In a lot of turn based RPG's you choose the attacks for your entire party and then they play out one after another. I liked how in X it almost convinced you into believing that there was an ATB if you played fluidly enough.

It's great, I wish they kept it in some form rather than heading down the AI-controlled real time system that eventually developed through X-2/12/13. =/

The only issue I have with it, is that really it falls apart at end game due to balance issues but that's mostly criticism leveled at the sphere grid and not the battle system itself I suppose.

I absolutely loved the battle system. I found it easier that you don't have to pause the game to get up if you were in the middle of battle. It got me thinking about the enemy strategy. So I could take as long as I wanted to choose what the best option was.

I enjoyed the Battle system a lot since it gave a more strategic aspect to it instead of having to rush through actions because the enemy could attack you twice for instance.

Not that I don't love that system as well of course, but it gives you a sense of calmness to take your sweet time.

Now I think that this system should be used in a new tittle, and if I were to change anything it would be to have harder battles with enemies that have more abilities to use.

The battle system in this game was great. I liked the fact that even though only three characters are out at once you could always switch out to any character which gave into more strategy but it was was more slower pace when compared to the ATB system. Guess they both have their ups and downs but it was good than bad.

I love the system for one reason, it gave you a better chance to plan out a battle strat. You knew when and how you could attack without having to hope to get a Curaga off, Or maybe an extra spell.

Best battle system ever IMHO. it made it so u can plan out your battle strategy 2-3 turns in advance, you know exactly how haste/slow would work and effect your teams/enemies attacks. it was just all around great.

I think this is probably my favorite battle system. The turn based battle system has always been good for me. And, I like the fact that you can switch your characters during battle. I'm sure i'm not the first one who agrees with that.

FFX easily has the best battle system IMO. I love being able to sub out my people at any point during a fight so you can exploit the weaknesses of bosses and enemies. And it has the bar on the side showing who attacks when, so again, you can strategically do your moves. And if you ever have to walk away from the game you dont have to worry about being attacked.
I wish the future FF games would come back to this system.....

I've always heard that Battle System in Final Fantasy Series reaches the summit in Final Fantasy X. As do Magical and non-magical balance and integrity in this game

So far I'm loving the battle system in this game so far. After playing Tactics,6,7,8 and 9 the most out of the series this is a nice little change of pace for me so far.

I'm so far liking this turn based battle system. Instead of having to worry about quick reaction time and staggering I can see all the options I have available before making a move. Don't get me wrong though, I've never had so many tense moments playing a game like I did with FFXIII fighting some of those bosses but FFX HD is fun so far. Only like 2 hours into the game and I can see the potential already.

Back