[FF IX] Necron

That was his name?? Now I remember, boy did I hate fighting him, pissed me off after thinking I beat the game after I defeated Kuja.

I was like WTF, who is this guy, I've never heard of him either, all I remember is that he was a big head or something?

One of the weaker points of the game. FF IX wasn't planned to be a part of the main series, so you could argue that there were sequels planned, and so they condensed the story into one game. The whole thing about the Crystal, and the single source of creation and memories, and Necron was poorly integrated into the overall story. Necron is who he is, and does what he does. He is death and fear incarnate.... Yeah, you can definitely tell it was rushed. Despite the weaknesses, I found the ending to be quite satisfying.

Yeah he's kinda like
Yu Yevon in FFX
You just don't hear crap about him, then.. BAM there he is.
He was annoying, and I didn't like him at all, I thought Kuja was kinda a good bad guy for IX series and didn't need any back up for him... But I guess Square thought different at the last second.

I read sometime ago that Necron was "observing" Kuja or was called to Gaia by Kuja to destroy the world if Kuja was defeated? kinda like a fail safe.

Just another Boss that has 60,000HP:lew:

i also remember because when ever i fought him I set up my team with:

Zidane,Garnet,Vivi,Steiner.

And they would always end up in different positions:amg:

Last edited:
I don't think even Kuja was expecting this visitor to show up. Allegedly from what I've recently read, Necron was only awakened by Kuja's fear and despair when he learnt that he was in fact mortal.

I was pretty disappointed by this guy's entrance actually as the pace of the game so far had gone by so well. Trance Kuja was hyped up to be the final boss, or if not a more monstrous form of the same person, but I was never satisfied with how Necron was seemingly shoehorned in with little to no explanation of where it came from and what exactly its character was. Still, it allowed us to enjoy one more Final Fantasy reference I suppose, as it parallels a bit with Exdeath in terms of goals.

I'm surprised I've never thought about this before. I've completed Final Fantasy IX a few times in the past and its never (grand... ahm) crossed my mind. I'd much rather trance Kuja had been the end boss had he been made harder to defeat. :hmmm:

I didn’t mind so much. They were in a strange place where dimensional portals are likely to cough out various nasty monsters and entities from different universes. Necron was a character who sensed the despair of Kuja, and then decided that existence meant suffering and despair and that life exists to seek death, and so decided to end all life and send it to nothingness so that all suffering and despair will end.

He didn’t make any prior appearances in FFIX, but he also didn’t need to. Nobody knew about him or what he was, or nobody expected him to turn up. He’s an inter-dimensional demon of some sorts and he happened to take a reading on Gaia’s crystal, and on Kuja’s struggle, and decided to target Gaia. Nobody could have known as nobody on Gaia has knowledge of such things. It goes beyond the Gaia and Terra failed merger. Necron is something which I think could potentially be everywhere, but when his attention is caught he seeks to end existence in whichever planet / dimension has caught his eye.

I think I’m with the minority who thought that he was quite cool, and that not knowing who he was, and seeing the characters confused too (but seeing that he was important) was quite interesting. The alternative would have been to give us a manky form for Kuja. Sephiroth had a manky form. Kefka had a manky form. Seymour had several manky forms (some would even argue that his normal form is a manky form too). Most end bosses take up a manky form. Kuja didn’t, he remained only as Kuja or Trance Kuja, and I’d rather keep it that way as I didn’t see that he should be the end boss. Instead of a manky Kuja we got a new villain (but strongly connected with Kuja, for it is because of Kuja’s despair and his actions that attracted the attention of Necron, and therefore it would be Kuja’s fault) who would have been an even bigger threat than Kuja had the party not defeated him.

I also love Necron’s battle music. Not to sound Kefkaish but the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison is quite badass.

he a way hard boss but i was like.... YEESSSS i beat kuja.... i won.... i completed FFIX.... WHAT THE......... where did this random guy come from...... god dam it it killed me :O it was like...... some random guy came to haunt me :rofl:

I liked it due to the fact I killed kuja easy thanks to Trance xD but Necron was overkill all the damn status ailments pissed me off and dont get me started with the fact he could make characters berserk/zombie and make them useless I had level 70-80 characters+Auto Regen+Auto Life and still get killed constantly and i tryed using status blockers but I dont think there are any for berserk ._.

To me it just seemed like an additional twist to throw in at the end of the game to surprise the gamers.

Maybe it was meant to seem that while Garland and Kuja and Co. thought they were in control of all the existence, but Necron was there watching the whole time and decided it was appropriate to step in and show his control and power and wipe out his creations that had gone astray. He is hinted about earlier in the game when the mention of the Mist at the Iifa Tree as well, but it is a very easy few lines to miss on when you don't understand what is being said or comes at you at the end of the game.

I liked it as a twist to the end though. It shows that no one human can control all, that something is letting the characters live on their own free-will, there until they f'ed up beyond Necron's wishes.

http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/showthread.php?t=40355

In case you're too lazy to click the link:

I pulled this off of 4chan (of all places) in a FFIX discussion on the /v/ boards.

Seeming as Final Fantasy 9 is the favourite in the series, I'll explain to you what happened.

In Final Fantasy 5 (I think), Gilgamesh sacrifices himself to help the party defeat a boss called Necrophobe, this banishes Necrophobe to a void of it's own dimension. As many of you already know, Gilgamesh has the ability to skip through the dimensions into the realms of other Final Fantasy games, and the void fills as a passageway inbetween the universes. At the end of Final Fantasy 9, the crystal of life is destroyed, thus ending the FF9 universe. Temporarily, the party members are sent into this void dimension, where they encounter the previously banished Necrophobe in an altered form - 'Necron'.

Necron had assigned itself as the ruler of this separate dimension, and its aim was to keep the party members there, however by defeating Necron the party members manage to escape the void and return to their true universe.

True stuff.

Personally, after thinking about it, it does make sense. He kind of contradicts himself when he explains that the FFIX universe was destroyed, but they go back to it. However, it could have easily been recreated after Necron was defeated the FFIX universe was brought back through the powers of the crystal.

Or after Zidane and co went to the void, the world of Gaia was still there and everyone else was all "WTF?". Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good read, and wanted to share.

Square left a lot of loose ends in this game, Necrom being one of them. At least in X, you have heard of Yevon, considering he's the focus point of worship. However, there are tons of things left unanswered. Who is Necrom and why did they throw him in with absolutely no storyline behind him? What caused Fratley to develop amnesia? Why was Trance Kuja not more powerful as a near finale boss?

Square left a lot of loose ends in this game, Necrom being one of them. At least in X, you have heard of Yevon, considering he's the focus point of worship. However, there are tons of things left unanswered. Who is Necrom and why did they throw him in with absolutely no storyline behind him? What caused Fratley to develop amnesia? Why was Trance Kuja not more powerful as a near finale boss?
I don't see this as a problem really. I mean look at FFVIII as well. Ultimecia was also a final boss that you don't get to know until the very end when you get to fight her.

I think it makes the game more "surprising" where-as you don't go into the game and already know how it's going to end. "Oh hey, here's the bad guy 5 minutes in, I bet he's going to be who I have to beat in the end and after that everything will be peachy-keen!"

No, instead you finally make it all the way to the end, you've given every ounce of energy, fight, blood, sweat, and tears into your main goal of offing the bad guy. Then as you try to pick yourself back up to celebrate, go home drink a beer and kiss your wife, you get ambushed by Plan B.

You didn't know it was coming, you don't know why (Necron does explain himself prior to battle), and you're forced to prove your ultimate legendary status by mustering up the strength to fight one more epic battle.

I love the surprise battles. I saw each game should keep battles like that secret until the very end more often.

From what I can remember (I'll play the game on my end-game save tomorrow to see), Necron appeared because Kuja had destroyed the crystal to save himself, stating that "All life fears death, but lives only to die". Then he went on to say something about because this truth had been discovered, everything was to be returned to the Zero World of Nothingness.

I don't think he was a major plot device, he was only there so that the whole FF9 theme of memories could be tied off, with the memories of the party restoring the crystal and defeating Necron. Pretty sure that Zidane says something about that too.

And about Necron being Necrophobe, it's possible but I doubt it. Even though Necrophobe literally means "Fear of Death". Hmm.

I never really thought about why Necron suddenly appears, I knew he did just randomly appear at the end but I never really got annoyed about it (only annoyed when he beat me to a pulp)
But now that I have read some of the posts in this thread regarding necron's history, I think its really awesome!!

Keep Zidane alive long enough to get him in trance than spam Solution 9 over and over before trance runs out. It worked for me. I also had Amarant and Vivi attacking while Dagger/Garnet was healing and reviving.

Remember Zeromus? Yeah, Necron wasn't out of the ordinary for the series. They've had their fair share of Giant Space Fleas From Nowhere.

:lew: I was going to mention Zeromus, you beat me to it.

I personally liked his appearance, and I didn't think the sudden and short nature of it was unnatural at all. The protagonists were offered a glimpse of something which is difficult for most humans to comprehend, and so at the same time, while I think it's natural to feel like "Hey, I wanted to know more about him :rage:," at the same time I don't think we're supposed to understand him completely.

I think a good parallel would be...if you believe in such things, if the sky above you split open and you could suddenly see God for a short time. You might be able to see a physical representation, but to completely understand what you were seeing might be difficult, or maybe even impossible. Which it is irritating to see it happen even in a fantasy story; but at the same time, I think it's somehow more believable that way :hmmm: I mean, the protagonists are mortal, and so for them to suddenly have the veil drawn back so that they could understand everything would be kind of weird, and alienate them a bit from the audience.

Back