World of Versus XIII- Thoughts

DarkShadow

S'all good in tha hood!
Veteran
Gil
ffxiii-whole-new-world.jpg

260eav8.jpg

I'm sure we've all seen last months trailer,but at the beginning did anyone see how massive the city was just before it showed the player controlling Noctis?

I couldn't get a picture of it here as I couldn't find it.....But if you look at the picture above you can see how massive it is. The modern approach from SE I think in my opinion is one thing that *could* be a bad part of the game for me. SE did say that they would go back to traditional roots but I think the world of this is going a bit too far.I just don't think it suits FF,GTA yes it's perfect for crusing along the city with a car, but for FF? NO!......And another thing is I do think battles will occur in the city just like the behemoth fight in the latest trailer. But in that sort of place I just don't think it'll suit......Bearing in mind there probably will be mass amounts of people in that city, and of course we won't be able to talk to every single one of them like we did in previous FF's.

Of course on the other hand there are places like the one above in the first picture....But that again does not have the FF touch it looks like the opposite of the second picture....But TOO opposite,I doubt there are even people in that location, it looks like the sort of place where you get stuck nowhere else to go!

There were other places (apart from the city) shown in the latest trailer but again it looks like what I said above for the first picture.....Only difference is.......There are monsters lurking around and it looks like a whole army of soldiers were ordered to go there and kill Noctis.

ffxiii-whole-new-world.jpg

260eav8.jpg

I'm sure we've all seen last months trailer,but at the beginning did anyone see how massive the city was just before it showed the player controlling Noctis?

I couldn't get a picture of it here as I couldn't find it.....But if you look at the picture above you can see how massive it is. The modern approach from SE I think in my opinion is one thing that *could* be a bad part of the game for me. SE did say that they would go back to traditional roots but I think the world of this is going a bit too far.I just don't think it suits FF,GTA yes it's perfect for crusing along the city with a car, but for FF? NO!......And another thing is I do think battles will occur in the city just like the behemoth fight in the latest trailer. But in that sort of place I just don't think it'll suit......Bearing in mind there probably will be mass amounts of people in that city, and of course we won't be able to talk to every single one of them like we did in previous FF's.

Of course on the other hand there are places like the one above in the first picture....But that again does not have the FF touch it looks like the opposite of the second picture....But TOO opposite,I doubt there are even people in that location, it looks like the sort of place where you get stuck nowhere else to go!

There were other places (apart from the city) shown in the latest trailer but again it looks like what I said above for the first picture.....Only difference is.......There are monsters lurking around and it looks like a whole army of soldiers were ordered to go there and kill Noctis.

Um I kinda doubt the city will be as big as you think...I mean SE did say it would be big but if you think about it the older FFs weren't that big. Cutscenes probably just make it look that way. I seriously doubt they're going GTA style because the only footage of gameplay we've seen in the city has Noctis' kingdom/city/place being attacked which leaves less time for exploring every street corner/crevice/building in the city. I mean there will be monsters but I think it'll be like FFXIIIs pulse in City form. I think there will be many large areas like this that the player can explore but I seriously doubt that we will be able to explore every mountain,forest,lake in the game. Some of that is just for looks. We'll be given a world map, some large areas and some nice gameplay with this. Hopefully it wont be too much of a problem :hmmm: But these days you never know with SE :ahmed:

I wasn't really concerned much about the size of the city....but well after FFXIII the bigger the better. But when you see the latest trailer before the player takes control the camera takes a stroll around the city, and the place does look massive, and even if you don't get to visit places I think it could get met with bad reaction. I mean look at FFX for example they showed Bevelle as one big city, but you couldn't even explore it other than the hallway.

However aside from the size, I'm more worried about the modern approach which doesn't have the FF touch. But a GTA style FF is not off the cards, as you do have cars and airships you'll be able to ride.

Well to compare it to GTA in the slighest way is too farfetched..even so I wouldnt mind.the bigger the better..

TBH everytime they showed this huge city in previous FF's I was always bummed out I couldnt explore the whole city..it always lets down.

So to me the bigger the cities the better! :D

I love forrests as well ! As long as its not too similair in design,I want changes and shifts at sections of the forrest..in every map/place to be exact lolzz

I bet they will include 1 desert area and 1 icy area..

I hope to see some chocobo paradise etc and island ...

I like the fact Versus will be realistic at places because its a different approach...but dont forget the Dragoons are still there so where do these mysterious clan/race live aye ;)

The trailer shows a small fraction of the game.. just wait bro :griin:

The trailer shows a small fraction of the game.. just wait bro :griin:

*Crosses fingers* I'ma hold you to this when it comes out Oh-rilly :britt:

Seriously, I'm hoping the game is more expansive than XIII. ...and I'm thinking it will be. Just as long as they don't make it linear like they did XIII I think the world will seem a lot bigger because you aren't being forced to go from place to place and only see certain parts of each place, while also not being able to explore at your own pace. I know there are going to be parts where certain sequences need to happen and whatnot...but there needs to be more of an ability to explore for SE to be able to show they have learned from their larger mistakes in XIII.

Also, we haven't seen much of the games world with the trailers...only portions I assume. They are only going to want to show us so much...so to base opinions on what we've seen so far is a little silly.

Like I've said before...from the amount of time they are putting into Versus's production, my expectations are very high.

I kinda like the approach they're going with as far as how the set up for the world will be. We've seen worlds that are based in futuristic timelines, and ones in Mid-evil times, its nice to see them do a bit of both and make it revolve around the modern era. GTA? Hell no, my guess is that there will be places where you can't enter and stuff, kinda lame but doing that wastes time and uses up alot of space when making the game. Can't wait to do some urban fight on streets.

Well like I said I wasnt worried about the size but not much....more about the modern approach like I've said.
Normally when playing FF's, I wanna be in a magical world full of dazzling buildings and eye-opening natural landscapes.

But looking at the city in the first picture, its reminiscent of New York :/......thats why I mentioned the GTA bit along with the inclusion of cars. I'm sure SE did say they will base the world of versus based on the real world(no wonder it's a fantasy based on reality).

So that's the thing I'm concerned about,the similarities of the world with versus.....I don't want it. I don't think it would ruin the whole game for me,just ruin the traditional values of FF. And many fans have been angered by the changes in FF games and also I'm not liking the SE tryna "westernize" their games.

I'm not too fussed about Versus "ruining" traditional FF values as it's not technically a flagship game but a spinoff. Still, they've been turning some traditions on their heads since the days of FFX, so as long as they don't throw everything overboard and retain some traditions while keeping the game still something recognisable to have the Final Fantasy game, I'm not too bothered about what they do. Versus is heavily reflective of a more realistic kind of "fantasy" as we knew from day one, and I've always been curious as to how this is going to work. A city based off Shinjuku with mecha running around true, isn't everyone's idea of Final Fantasy, but throw in your mix of medieval-armoured soldiers and swords and magic and we get an interesting blend. Whether it works or not, I'll find out when I play it.

It's not going to be an open world as such, so I threw GTA out of my mind. Thank goodness. We don't really need the game to be Final Fantasy meets GTA at all as I was never really a big fan of the latter anyway. I don't really know how the world map exactly works, but I can imagine something like FFXII except fewer loading times and a much larger field that can be seen as being a world map of some kind. I can't remember what the team's attitude is towards having a big Noctis and a scaled down world around him like the pre-FFX games, but I don't think Nomura wants that, hence why I'm imagining a FFXII-like field in a larger scale. I could be wrong though, and I like to be wrong in these instances to get a savour of surprise, but I at least expect the world to be pretty large as promised. Linearity should hopefully be something we won't need to be concerned about this time.

Well like I said I wasnt worried about the size but not much....more about the modern approach like I've said.
Normally when playing FF's, I wanna be in a magical world full of dazzling buildings and eye-opening natural landscapes.

But looking at the city in the first picture, its reminiscent of New York :/......thats why I mentioned the GTA bit along with the inclusion of cars. I'm sure SE did say they will base the world of versus based on the real world(no wonder it's a fantasy based on reality).

So that's the thing I'm concerned about,the similarities of the world with versus.....I don't want it. I don't think it would ruin the whole game for me,just ruin the traditional values of FF. And many fans have been angered by the changes in FF games and also I'm not liking the SE tryna "westernize" their games.

Well to tell you the truth from the very beginning it was said this game was based in reality. So if you dont like modern then you dont have to play this one. It's got cities and cars because it said it would and since it's not a main title I don't see why there should be concern. It's made to be a game based in reality' like GTA is a similar game. I highly doubt it will be similar. I mean the Sims and GTA are completely different...Hopefully this game will be like an update of the old FF style when talking of size areas accessed through a world map.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII feels unique in a way. It certainly isnt anyone's idea of a real Final Fantasy but meh it is supposed to be a modern day one. So far I feel really good about the environment. FF needs a change every once in awhile. As long as It has towns and other worthy sight seeings I am all for it. The city of Shinjuku looks so awesome and I can not wait to step in there and experience the whole environment. The whole thing that isnt so interesting is the Mecha thing. I personally did not like what I saw from this. I love that you can go anywhere but the mountains. It gives me a little bit of the Just cause 2 feel but in reality.. not so much because in Just cause 2 you can go anywhere you want, even the mountains. So basically FF getting a change is nice. It isn't meeting GTA just because you can use tanks.. I like that they are modernizing FF. All for it :dave:.

The whole "fantasy based on reality" thing has me a bit worried about the visuals of this game. I know the trailer had a good number of bright vivid places but i can't help but feel it's gonna look like FF's take on Fallout 3. There are obviously towns and cp's to interact with (also based off the trailer) so that's good and should please people after FF XIII's "fiasco". I hope that there isn't a bleak outlook on everything even though it's "possibly the darkest FF game yet".

It kinda looks like a modern place with few scenery from what they have in original FFXIII and from what I've seen from screen shots. It'd kinda be interesting...once they release it already, tebayo...

In one trailer for the caption it said "Real life or fantasy?" Meaning that this game is going to be a tie in-between. You're still going to have your magic, and you're still going to be able to defy the laws of gravity. Also, Noctis is the last one in the dynasty, and there are gods and goddesses so you will get that feel that it's different from this world.

Personally I have never been more excited for a FF game, I instantly fell in love with Noct :) However, it's going to be a pretty dark game. They say it's going to be the "darkest FF game yet" and yet FF7 DoC was pretty dark too! (Storywise)

it has been clear from the start the kind of world versus is going to be. there will be a lot of dark city scape and i will love it, because i'm into modern fantasy and i like that they're foraying into this despite that section of ff players who want things to return back to [insert number of choice].

i do understand how the op feels, though -- too gloomy and realistic and it's just boring, but i wouldn't worry. i disagree about all the scenery being either picture 1 or 2. picture 1 looks like a lonely interstate from city to rural, with the power lines and everything. but in the trailers i saw plenty of different sceneries, from what looked like cattle land to full-blown forestry to that beautiful meadow scene with the sunset. it's not going to be dark all the time because the game phases through dusk to dawn (LOVE). if i remember correctly, noctis' city has been isolated due to its technological advancements, but the rest of the world is still going to have that medieval age final fantasy charm. best of both worlds.

I don't think I've been exicted about a FF game either. I wonder if this is the reason for the long delay with this game and Agito XIII. Even if it will be dark, I'm going to like it regardless. I just wished that it would hurry up and come out so us players can find out for ourselves how the new storyline to Versus XIII is going to be.

I lvoe the thought of a dark FF game. It brings new "light" on the happy go lucky FF's that we have out there.

As far as the worlds go, I am hoping that unlike FFXIII I get to go into towns and caverns and explore these "dark" realms and worlds that hopefully this game will offer me. Seeing the screen shot previously, i really hope that the worlds are not GTA styled. I didn't like the worlds being TOO big and spacious. =/. Not my cup of tea, really.

I don't mind spacious games but most of the time I tend to get lost and the maps don't really seem to help. It would be nice to explore different caverns and other places in the game too. I just wonder, will SE have new monsters that are less advanced but still challenging to play and beat? I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

I'm so excited for this game. I am worried, like a lot of Final Fantasy fans, that it will stray from the more traditional routes and risk ending up not so much like a Final Fantasy in the end at all. However, I'm keeping optimistic, people keep saying that traditional Final Fantasy is all about the oldy-feely type setting but I don't think that's stricktly true, from what I've seen of this game I'm thinking it might end up feeling more like FFVII or FFVIII (this! Everytime I see it I think it's like a graphically mastered VIII!), both games felt much more modern than those before and after them, but still stayed so true to being Final Fantasy.

I'm more concerned that they'll churn out something like FFXIII, which is a horrible game and the only FF I'm sure I'll never play again. With no world map - no maps at all actually, just tunnels - no people - no towns or villages - no character development - no proper villian - nothing at all really when I look at it properly. I'm trying to be optimistic about this too though, thinking that if they're spending so much time on this game that surely they'll go all out (and not just on the graphics) and produce a really good game. They've seen the critiques about FFXIII and have had so long since to fix any similar problems in the ideas of VS that I think in all probability this is going to bring FF back (I haven't loved a game since X) to where it was loved.

I'm probably just being way too hopeful though, because I'm so excited for this game and really want it to be good. Maybe I shouldn't have such big expectations...because I'm sort of setting myself up for a let down.

Xx..xX

Versus to me seems almost like a love letter to people who loved VII and VIII in a way. One of the main parts of FF VII that people remember is Midgar and its realistic tone contrary to the old school Fantasy tone. VII was the first FF I played so if Versus even has a hint of VII's 'soul' then a lot of fans will be pleased and may be sated enough to finally be silent about a VII remake. I doubt it though.

I'm far more excited for Versus than I have been for a FF since X and I'm still not quite sure why...

...I don't have very high hopes for Versus at this point. Square don't need a spin-off- they need a numbered time to get them out of this mess.

The world can be as open and amazing as possible, but it still won't justify how long we've waited.

Back