Blind Or Deaf?

Ahlchamest

Your Truth Is My False
Gil
Would you rather be blind or deaf?

This one is a pretty hard one to choose for me. If I was blind, I wouldn't be able to see any of my friends or family ever again. Or even play video games, and it'd be pretty hard trying to get used to walking without seeing what's in front of you.

Being deaf would definetily suck for me. I love listening to music, talking with friends, and all that stuff. I don't think I'd like trying to learn to read people's lips.

If I had to choose one, I'd definetily pick being deaf. Just the thought of being blind scares the hell out of me.

Omg my BF and I had this exact conversation about an hour ago!

I chose to be blind, sign language would be too hard to get used to! Conversations would be frustrating and id get a guide dog buuut then I read your post and forgot about video games!!! Can't play those blind!!

Tough choice but I guess I've changed my mind, id rather be deaf!

I dunno. I don't think I could live without music, but at least Id still be able to read watch tv/films etc and game. There's not alot Id be able to do if I was blind really. Not that Im suggesting folk who are blind just sit around doing nowt but still... I think Id begrudgingly choose to be deaf. Music though... :gonk: I suppose a life in silence beats a life in the dark...

Sight would certainly be something that I would never sacrifice for anything. The prospect of completely losing sight is certainly something that would horrify me if I were to think about it, because as stated you would be unable to see your loved ones and the whole world around you - and then the comparatively more trivial things like video games - except in memory. It seems horribly torturous especially as everything is happening around you, you are in that world as everyone else, you can perhaps visualise what may be going on in your mind, yet you cannot see it.

As for hearing well, a lack of that would certainly suck as well. I agree that a loss of music in your life as well as facing communication problems with people around you would not be a pleasant thing, but I would find comfort still in being able to at least see the people around me and adapt to deafness. I would go for deafness over blindness as well - the former I can probably just about tolerate if I were to think about it, although the latter seems a horrible prospect for me.

I don't wanna lose either.

At first sight, (horrible pun), sight would be the worst one to use because I use it so much. I can't imagine living in an inky black nothingness that I would if I was blind. Also it would be much harder to do thing.

But then I think of all the times that I've messed with my ears and got wax messed up in there and not been able to hear, and I realize that it's just as important. What you can't see, you can usually hear.

If I had to choose, I'd pick going blind, because I think it'd be easy to function because there are ways to slightly replace your eyes (seeing eye dogs, etc) and not really a way to replace your hearing.

If I had to choose I would probably choose to be deaf although I love to listen to music all the time, have conversations with my friends, I like to listen to what people have to say and I would probably get very pissed off if I couldn't remember the music to a song

I find sight to be more useful though I think that being able to see has a lot more to offer you in life, like you are still able to watch tv, play video games, see your friends and family, you are still able to contact people through text and email and you are still able to work at some great jobs so I think that sight has more of a benefit to you than hearing so if I had to choose one it would be have to be deaf

Well to be honest with everyone I am deaf in one year, it's kinda hard to hear things from time to time, but blind would be worse not being able to see things and having to feel your way everywhere. At least deaf you can see whats going on around you.

I'd definitely rather be deaf.. Human interaction is more based on what you see than what you hear, and that is very important to me.

I'd hate to have to give up music forever, but to me being able to see everything going on around me is much more important. For example, if I were to be blind and have kids, I think it would drive me completely mad if I were never able to see their growing faces. If I were deaf though, I'd just have to imagine for myself what their voices might soundlike.

Deaf. I would feel too vulnerable turning blind. Being an artist, gamer and a rather distrustful person towards most others are big reasons as to why I would rather be deaf than blind. I mean, I love playing my instruments and listening to others create(d) music but I would rather give that up than my main passions in life. Funnily enough, I had to undergo an operation at a young age that could have left me blind and unable to have children in future. Thankfully, I can still see. It's always been a massive fear for me to go blind. *Shudder*

Deaf. I want to say that sound isn't as important to me. But then, I won't be able to hear anyone talk either. I figure some things are worth tuning out though.

deaf. Youd be more handicaped blind then you would be deaf. Id miss listening to music and everything but its the perfect solution for someone who enjoys reading in peace and quite.

I would definately choose to be deaf rather than blind.

If I was deaf, there would still be other ways of communicating with others. Even though I won't be able to hear music, I'm pretty sure I can live without it.
Being blind, I feel as if I would feel more handicapped. I would probably have a guide dog, and the idea of not being able to see makes life a lot less appealing for me.

Well, I have a friend who is blind, and if I could go about it the same way he does, I think I could deal with it. He can't really play video games by himself, but we do sort of play games like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect together by letting him have some say in what the character does, and I just take care of the combat. He can also sort of "watch" movies by listening to the dialogue and having someone else explain what the characters are doing on the screen. Some DVDs come with an extra track that has someone narrating in detail what is happening.

The downside would be that I can't just randomly walk around because I'd probably get lost. I'd probably need someone to guide me. I also wouldn't be able to enjoy visual art. I would have to watch movies that are in English, since I wouldn't be able to read subtitles.

Being deaf, I wouldn't be able to enjoy music or learn how to speak other languages (but I could learn how to read and write, I suppose). I'd catch on to sign language pretty quickly, so that won't be a problem.

If I had to pick one, I'd rather be deaf.

I'd rather be deaf.

A world of darkness is scary to me. I've always had a fear of going blind.

Being deaf is just as bad, but at least you can learn sign language and read subtitles when watching movies etc and get around without the help of guide dog etc.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to drive when you're deaf due to not being able to hear things like ambulances and car horns etc, but you sure as hell would not be allowed to do that when you're blind. =/

I'm going with the majority here and I'm going to say I'd rather be deaf.

Not being able to see the beauties of this world, the stars in the night sky, and the eyes of someone I love ever again would be too much for me. So much of daily life is wrapped up in what we see...you'd be able to do far less more like drive, get full enjoyment out of travel, and many other things.

To be deaf wouldn't exactly be fun either because lip reading to be able to understand someone talk and never being able to hear music again would be pretty unreal.

Reading this thread, I'm so greatful for my sight and my hearing. Sometimes we take for granted the simplest abilities of being human.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that people who are legally blind or deaf may be able to see a little bit. Some deaf people can hear certain tones and some blind people can tell the difference between light and dark.

Deaf. There is a huge deaf culture and deaf cultures are very close. I would have a place to go to and my own friends. I can also be much more independent if I were deaf instead of blind. As for hearing, well I wouldn't know what it was like so it would be no big loss.

I would rather be deaf than blind. After seeing so much in life so far, the sense of sight would be horrible to lose. You would have to depend on so many others just to do simple things throughout the day, which would be a pain in the ass IMO.

I think it would suck to learn sign language, or be semi-hard :shesaid:, but I could still see, maybe learn to read lips, and respond with my own words.

Being deaf would def be better IMO.

I'd have to go with the majority here and say I'd rather be deaf.

I wouldn't really like to be any, but if I had a choice, it would be that. It'd be scary living in a world of darkness and have someone to guide you. Sure, you'd still be able to hear things, but I value my sight more than my hearing. I'd miss the music I'm used to hearing, but I'd still be able to see and such.

I would definitely pick deaf over anything else because a) I could still learn to communicate with people, and b) I am a very visual person. To lose my eye sight would be devastating, so I'm going with the latter. Sure, that'd mean I'd miss out on music and the like, but that still doesn't mean I wouldn't have any idea how it sounds. I could still make a beat because music is more than just hearing. That's just one example. But yeah, I'd rather be deaf.

I couldn't be deaf, not with the way I love music. I mean... seeing is wonderful and all, but i would truly be depressed if I couldn't listen to the sounds of the world, and I think also, I'd be a little less vain. At least that's what I think...

Back