Blind Or Deaf?

Hm I suppose I'd rather be deaf, not being able to see would scare me, but having said that I doubt I could live without music either. Like others have said at least you can still communicate while deaf, I mean not that you couldn't if your blind.:confused:

I'd defo rather be deaf, I can imagine being blind being one of the scariest things that can happen. If you're blind you're pretty much reliant on everyone else 24/7 all because you'd struggle to do the simplest of things like cook, go to the shop etc. Everything that we take for granted.

Being deaf in itself would be shit since you wouldn't be able to hear what people are saying without sign language and you couldn't answer the phone etc but at least there are ways around that.

I'd defo rather be deaf, I can imagine being blind being one of the scariest things that can happen. If you're blind you're pretty much reliant on everyone else 24/7 all because you'd struggle to do the simplest of things like cook, go to the shop etc. Everything that we take for granted.

Being deaf in itself would be shit since you wouldn't be able to hear what people are saying without sign language and you couldn't answer the phone etc but at least there are ways around that.

Yeah, that, and not being able to hear any music would be awful, but if one was blind, that phone answering thing, wouldn't be able to see to get around to the phone to answer it anyways. >.>

On to the point, I actually have gone through this question myself before, and after considering all things, definitely would rather be deaf, if it is that or blind.

If I were blind, since in reality I am already pretty much leaving a lot of stuff for others to do, then I would just not be able to stand not being able to ever see anything again, can't imagine how limiting that would be?

Couldn't see to be able to play any video games, or get on the computer, and I spend almost all of my time doing those things, so if I couldn't, then it would be like having everything taken away from me...

And not to mention, it would be like I was trapped in darkness. Always. The mere thought of that is most dreadful... Lost, never to know where I am going.

At least I would be able to see what I am doing, where I am going, if I were just deaf, although I wouldn't be able to get out of washing dishes for that, something that I hate doing. >.>

I could still enjoy playing video games, and using the computer/getting on the Internet, just wouldn't be hearing anything while doing either, but I could still enjoy those activities.

And in a way, unlike the trapped feeling being blind would bring about, being deaf could at times be very peaceful, never hearing the loud racket that is life, I could sleep very well. xD

So yeah, I could live without the ability to hear, but it would be dearly missed, I listen to music so much these days, and to never hear another note...that would be sad...

But if I were blind, I could never live the same at all, I could never see anything going on around me, or anything that I would try to do. It would just be so depressing.

Also, long post is long, but I had to bring up my evaluations of both, and though mostly negative, there is actually upside to one or the other.

Wouldn't be able to see to do things you didn't want to do if you were blind, but you also couldn't do anything you would like to do, of the two the latter is far, far worse than the former is a plus (and besides, it is good to help out, even if it is something you really don't feel like doing...).

If you were deaf, then although you couldn't hear any unpleasant racket, you couldn't hear anything else either, including important things, and it would be easy for anyone to go behind your back about something, so long as you aren't specifically looking directly at them at the moment.

I don't care about listening to people talk, it's more about the music. If I didn't have vision, then I mean it would be a bit difficult to get around, but in all honesty I though if I was deaf, might as well kill me.

Seriously.. music is my crutch in life, anyone can tell you without I think I would be a miserable person. It keeps me centered.

This is a no-brainer for me.

Sure,I couldn't play videogames,but since my dream is to make them,I wouldn't be able to fufill my dreams either if I were blind.So I choose deaf.

As much as I'd hate to do it, I'd have to choose going deaf over going blind. It would mean losing my ability to listen to music, which would really blow. And even though I prefer listening music over watching TV/reading, I feel like losing my sight would be a much bigger handicap. With my sight, I could watch music being played, which I have a good general idea of. And with my sight, I'd still be able to drive and still live independently. Many more restrictions present themselves at the loss of sight.

Gonna have to go with the majority and say I'd rather be deaf than blind. The thought of losing my sight terrifies me more than losing hearing. Losing my hearing would be sad, but it wouldn't be devastating in the way that being blind would be.

If you're blind, you're reliant on someone or something else for the rest of your life. You can't spontaneously change your routine or go somewhere by yourself. Well, I suppose you could if you had a guide dog, but that's not the same. If I woke up tomorrow morning, blind, I'd lose all independence and my future career aspirations would just be gone.

Being deaf, while it would be really sad; mainly because of losing music, isn't as crippling as being blind is. You'd still be able to do pretty much everything you could do normally, even if you had to communicate with sign language or just texting for the rest of your life, it's still far more manageable.

I'm partially deaf, so I can relate more to 'deaf'.

Frankly speaking, I can say for a fact that to me, being deaf is probably better than being blind. Granted, you lose the good music that can inspire, that can be pure goodness in itself... But being blind means an eternal darkness.

You won't see anything anymore. You'll never know what 'blue' means. Or how the 'clouds' look like.

Not to mention the physical disadvantages as well. If you're deaf, at the very least, you could still learn to lip read.

Deaf. I don't really care about music so much. I can always talk to people via text also.

I need to see my parents as they grow old. My Brothers as they grow up, and my aunt as we age together. I need sight. Most of all, I need sight so I can watch wrestling. That means the world to me. I'm not trying to lose that. I wouldn't be able to hear King, or Jr, or any promos, but I'll survive.

Wow. Writing that got me sad. I need to appreciate the small things more. Something like hearing the legendary Jerry Lawler on TV every week is an honor. I've been listening to his commentary for my whole life. If that just suddenly disappeared, I would be heart broken. I take back what I said up there about King.

Tough question, but I'll take deaf. Final answer.

Well, I have shitty sight as it is, I can only imagine how horrible it'd be to have to wake up in darkness and sleep in darkness.

I have shitty hearing too, :wacky: but my god being blind just seems so much more difficult to live life. :sad3:

At least i'd still be able to communicate and have vision. Whereas being blind, makes conversation a little bit harder even though you can hear, you can't see the physical actions.

The thing I respect about the blind though is that they can't judge a good person based on physical looks, which I think is beautiful. :)

Definitely would rather be deaf.

I can deal with not being able to hear, but not being able to see? That's scary as hell.
Atleast when you're deaf you can still communicate, you can still see where you're going/what you're doing, you can still SEE period.
If I had to choose one of these I'd choose to be deaf over being blind. Easy.

I thought about this, and I think I'd rather be blind.

Music is a big part of my life. I'm always constantly listening to something. I love hearing new things. Sure, being blind would be horrible. But when I listen to music, I'm able to use my imagination and see whatever I want in my head. If I'm deaf, then that is gone. And I don't know about anyone else, but I find complete silence to terrifying. I wouldn't want to live like that.

Buuuuut, yanno. I'd be a-okay without ever having to make such a decision. Haha

Back