Health in the family?

Amizon

Too orsm for you.
Veteran
Gil
I'm blessed to have such amazing health, but I really can't say the same for the rest of my family, and it's saddening to see them go through such problems.

My dad has leg ulcers and has other problems. He's been in hospital more times than I can count and for various things, including having operations on his legs or even collapsing suddenly.

My mum has an extra valve in her heart and should've had an operation when she was younger to have it removed. But being as stubborn as she is, she didn't have it. So whenever she gets stressed to the extreme, she can get really ill and it's really worrying.

My gran had to have a hip replacement years ago and she still has difficulties with it. On top of that, she has high blood pressure and is on medication to make sure it doesn't exceed the normal rate.

My auntie has been through so many health problems. At first, she had leg ulcers and had to come out of work for months. Then she had some other serious health problems and now recently, she had pneumonia.

I've also had two members of my family pass away to breast cancer and blood cancer. My granddad also had a heart attack and died many years ago.

I find it quite ironic that I'm absolutely fine when there are health problems with other members of my family.

What about you? Does anyone in your family have health issues or problems?

I understand your........discontent::sad3:

I am the only healthy person in my family aswell, and its hard to see my family members
suffering, but when its inflicted by health and life style choices my empathy diminishes some what, not saying I dont care but.......

When I say lifestyle choices I dont mean drugs, just the way you live your life and its consequences being over weight and not fighting to stay fit and live comfortably to me is just illogical.

Many of my family members in England will end up dying before there time through smoking(excessive) and though you dont want it to happen, we know enough about such things that you should stop if its endangering you life.

I know the people Im close to will die someday but it should be along time in the future
and not before there time. I could be in a position of having only my niece and nephew alive ion the next decade.

Old people die, its never nice to consider the prospect of losing your aunt or uncle or grandma & grandpa or whatever, but its just an end to life if they die of natural causes then be happy they lived a healthy life and learn from there example.

I havent seen my grandma since 1989 she died in 1991.

I'd say that I'm pretty healthy myself, considering some of the health problems that run in my family. I do tend to have some digestive issues that I've gained on my own, but I'm my own worst enemy with that. :lew:

My father has high blood pressure and his mother died of a stroke, due to her high blood pressure. My mother doesn't have any health concerns that we know of. My mother's father supposedly died of lung cancer as a result of smoking, but my mother thinks differently. Healthcare in Puerto Rico, especially back when he died, was especially lax, and my mother thinks they may have made that assumption because he was a smoker. My mother thought more on it later on and recalled that he was complaining of bad pains in his legs. So she thinks he may have died from a blood clot in his leg. And also my sister is multi-handicapped. Her Spina Bifida is not a genetic ailment, so I probably wouldn't be carrying the gene to my future children.

So the main concern I have when getting older (I'm already old :hmph:!) is eventually developing high blood pressure.

Well, though most of my family has been fortunate to not suffer from cancer (except my grandpa, who I just lost last April :sad3:), there've been a whole load of heart issues on either side, so I'm sure I'll have issues with it when I'm older unless I continue to eat right. Also, I expect my anxiety disorder is genetic, for at least two generations up, and now the breathing problem I've contracted is supposedly genetic on the other side.

My family has always been pretty okay.

My nana did die from cancer a few years back that came out of no where though.

The only thing I've got to worry about is potentially getting diabetes seeing as three of my grandparents had it.

Other than that I'm healthy and so is everyone else.

My grandparents all had cancer and my mum has had cancer aswel she also suffers from bad arthritus, my dad has MS.
AS far as i know thats it. My auntie and my cousins are all fine i think.

Cancer is shit though, i wouldnt want to see anyone get that.

I have a cold atm thats bad enough thanks

Both my grandfathers died from cancer at a similar space of time when I was younger. To say that I was mortified would be an understatement as no child should have to endure a double tragedy like that in such short spaces of time from each other. One of my uncles has type-2 diabetes, which is rather hard for him at times, though he remains rather optimistic about it. I also know that one of my great-uncles had a stroke in the past and he's fortunately largely managed to recover since. Other than that, there's no other health issues in my family as far as I know of. Like my mother, I regularly catch colds as well as laryngitis, two things I have actually been suffering from this week.

My Aunty and cousin both suffer from Diabetes, and another cousin recently got diagnosed with multiple scleroses. My Mam also suffers from leg and back problems, which caused us to move from a house to a flat as the stairs were too much of a hassle for her to climb up and down throughout the day. I have a rather large family and apart from the above mentioned, we do seem really healthy, my mam can still do day to day things but i am always around to help with the tidying and other stuff. and both my aunty and cousins are still rather active given their conditions.

Health complications become more and more common as we age, unfortunately. I'm healthy right now, but I'd be foolish not to expect my body to deteriorate over time.

My mom has knee and back problems. All my grandparents are dead, with two dying from cancer. My grandfathers each lived long lives, but with frequent stays in the hospital due to random illnesses and liver failures. My dad is a pretty healthy fellow, but he experiences some pretty rough joint and body pains.

Overall though, my family seems to be pretty lucky as far as health goes.

my mum has an over-active thyroid, which she takes tablets for daily.

i'm type 1 diabetic myself, and i'm insulin dependent for that.

other than that i've got a pretty healthy family, other than the odd little allergy and such.

It's weird, half of my family is fine, and half of it has loads of issues.

My mum's side of the family is fine, she's fine, my aunties have never had major problems, and all my Nan has is a knee injury she's had for years.

My dad's side though, almost every single one has issues. My dad has a problem with his liver and is on tablets for that, his mum died beginning of last year from a blot clot in the brain or something and she had cancer as well, his dad has cancer, his brother has a stomach problem :hmmm: but I think his two sisters are ok.

I'm fine (as far as I'm aware) apart from some mild sinus issues. I'm hoping I've inherited the good health of my mum's family, not my dad's :wacky:

On my father's side diabetes runs in the family, ever since i found out about it i've been trying to take care of my health as best i can. I don't ever want to become a diabetic. It's manageable yeah but still, having to worry about how much calories to take each day would suck. Not to mention that i wouldn't be able to eat as much sweet stuff as i do now, which isn't much but not being able to eat ice cream cake or flan would just be horrible.

So far I've been pretty good health wise. I have asthma which my grandma on my dads side has. My biggest worry is that my grandma on my moms side has diabetes. With my Mom having strong signs of having it too. Which means it might end up being a family legacy type thing. Other than that though, we're pretty good health wise.

My family has a history of diabetes but that's about it.

My nana did die of cancer and she was nearly blind as well so I hope that doesn't get passed down. :hmmm:

Every time I go to the doctors they say I'm good healthwise.
I've had plenty of tests to make sure I don't have diabetes or high cholesterol and all that jazz.

Luckily I'm still good at this stage so I need to make sure to keep eating properly to maintain it. >.<

Last edited:
Been thinking a lot about health topics lately.

My dad's side: plethora of health problems, mainly cancer, liver, kidney, diabetes and other health issues. Cousin of mine died due to brain tumor at the age of 14, same with my great-aunt. Grandfather died to health issues, and one of his daughter (my aunt) has the same issues as him. She's only in her mid 30s and already diagnosed with cancer, needs a kidney transplant, etc. Dad and uncles - lots of issues as well, one of them also with cancer, etc.

Mom's side: same, bunch of health problems (high blood pressure) including my mom herself.

Recently been to the doctor for an ultrasound and I'm at risk of cirrhosis if I don't watch my daily activity and maintain proper diet (oily, fatty foods, though we always use olive oil and most of our food are usually baked - hardly fry anything). I actually eat 1-2 times a day so that probably doesn't help my metabolism. Need to watch my gallstone too, otherwise I'll need to get my gallbladder removed, which I would rather not do. So I've been rethinking a lot of things lately, what I should focus on, etc.

It's kinda split for me.

My father's side has heart issues. My uncle died when he was 26 of his heart rapidly growing to fast in size and basically exploding in his chest. We've all been monitored for heart problems since then (year 2000), and it is kind of being noticed in one of my other uncles so we're being very cautious.

My mom's side has Diabetes, lung cancer, and suicidal depression. It's rough when somethings you have no idea how to help a member of your family out, and other times there's nothering you can do besides pray for a miracle. Seems like it affects each and every family though.

I can't say I know my whole family health background, but :

My mum has high blood pressure and she's obese due to injuries she's sustained. I mean, she works out and is trying to diet, but she can't seem to get those pounds off completely.

My father has bad knees and arthritis in his joints. Luckily he takes natural pills to help with his movement so he gets around.
He's also an alcoholic and a smoker. I know he has liver and kidney issues due to the alcohol, but as far as i know, no lung issues yet.

My granny on my mums side had breast cancer but she's survived. she also has a rare condition ('least i think it is) maybe its a further condition of arthritis... anyways its hard for her to use her hands and becomes crippled.

My grandpa on my mums side has mental issues (depression, maybe) because he threatened to shoot my grandma and then kill himself. I know he also has heart & lung issues because hes a smoker.

My grandma on my pop's side had to get hip surgery and have a metal plate in her hand due to old age, i suppose.

My grandpa on my pop's side had a type of skin cancer and he's very fragile with his skin and bruises easily. I also believe he had heart surgery as well.

My brother and sister are pretty healthy as far as I know.

As for me, I have high blood pressure due to stress. I also have back problems because I have a knot in my spine. Errr something like that :wacky:

Back