Help FFXIII: Any tips on the Cid Raines boss fight in chapter 10?

Killer64

ShinRa Guard
Gil
Ok, I am making a push to beat Final Fantasy XIII meaning I am waging an all out war against FFXIII to beat this game. This is because FFXIII is the only Final Fantasy game I have that I did not beat yet. Anyway, I am using a modified version of the piggyback strategy which is this (party is Lightning, Fang, and Hope). When Cid is in offensive mode, use the delta attack paradigm which puts Fang as an attack magnet while Hope and Lightning attack. Whenever healing is necessary, switch to Solidarity which is almost the same paradigm except Hope becomes a medic. Whenever Cid switches to recovery or defense mode, use Relentless Assault to drive up Cid`s chain gauge. On my best attempt so far, I staggered Cid twice and had his health so that it was near or under the first T in Target on his life bar. I believe my mistake that attempt was using too many technical points to keep my party alive. I believe if I had saved at least 3 technical points, I could have used Odin to finish him off. Does anyone have any useful tips on how to beat Cid?

Last edited:
I defeated Raines in about a minute, maybe a bit more. I used Lightning Snow and Sazh. Start out with COM/RAV/SYN, forget the paradigm name. Once you have haste go Tri disaster and unleash all your spells until stagger then switch to Cerebus and then you can kick his ass, he should die before the stagger runs out. If not he transforms and it gets a hell of allot harder. It is best to use cerebus because at the end of the stagger Lightning and Snow both used smite and Sazh used scourge.

I had a hard time with this one. Every time he would transform, even if I was pounding him while he was staggered. I watched videos, etc. Once transformed it was a losing battle for me.

So I built Lightning, Snow, Hope went with RAV/COM/RAV, COM/COM/RAV, and RAV/SEN/RAV. The plan is to use RCR to slow the stagger bar, then use RSR to pound until staggered. Also start with a fortisol and aegisol, plus use a Libra early in the battle (not sure all that is really needed in the end, but that is what I did).

In in this particular run I let the stagger bar drop to zero after getting it up to at least 200%. So I RCR, then RSR, but made sure to do another RCR when the stagger was dropping fast. ARound 250% he took enough damage to transform. :( So I immediately summoned Lights Eidolon. I continued attacking and my Gestalt bar actually filled (or got very close). I entered Gestalt mode (X) when the Eidolon gestalt was getting low. Iirc I had 27. I then used my attacks. Remember to keep hitting X, so the meter is full when attacking. Somewhere during this process he was staggered and by the end he was finished.

TL;DR: Cid was about 250% when he transformed, I immediately summoned Light's Eidolon, he was defeated.

Back