Saying "no offense"

Demon

Don't ruin my cuin
Veteran
Gil
If you think you're going to say something rude, does it actually help to say "no offense"? Does it help the other person's perception of you?

Just thought I'd ask. I think it might help a little but there are too many philosophical questions which are introduced such as "well if you say something in which you have to say "no offense", why say it at all?"

I rarely use the term I guess, but when I do, it sounds weird.

Yeah people normally use it when they know they're saying something that'll be offensive, but don't really have malicious intent, or at least that's my experience of it. Though 'just sayin' seems to be the new version of it.

Pretty much what was said above. I'll say it on the odd occasion if I'm passing on comment about something but I'm not trying to be rude to the person I said it to. However, I doubt it has much impact, if someone takes offence to what you're saying or thinks you're being rude then I doubt 'no offence' is going to do anything. It's more of a thing so that you can cover your own back.

Note the differences between:

"No offense, you look fat in that dress."

and

"You look fat in that dress."

No offense makes a notable contrast. There's also how the attitude of the person may affect the message.

I think it distinguishes the intent better than just making the statement without saying it. A lot of times people will ask you awkward questions, like the above "does this dress make me look fat?" etc., and if they've asked you to help them find a good outfit, you don't want to just tell them that it looks fine, because that's not really helping them. But to keep from hurting their feelings, particularly with people you don't know as well, it helps to soften the impact, I think, to say "no offense".

It's said as to not cause any intentional offense to the person you say it to. I don't say it a lot, but when I do, I do it mainly because of that and the fact what I'd normally say could be seen as rude or offensive. But sometimes, it can be viewed as offensive and an attempt to try get themselves off the hook from saying something so rude.

I know I say "no offense" all the time...I think when I realize what I've said could really be interpreted as an insult...when I'm just trying to be honest with someone and not trying to be mean to them...I'll say it.

I'd rather someone say no offense to me so I don't take it personally while they are trying to be honest with me about something I may not want to hear, rather than say nothing at all at risk of insulting me, like Ryan said.

I generally see using "no offense" as a way to clearly delineate between sincere honesty and blunt meanness.

Like the example above, compare, "No offense, you look fat in that dress" and "you look fat in that dress." It speaks for itself. The former is trying to be honest but not mean. The latter states the facts, regardless of how it may be taken -- which in this case is particularly callous.

Especially important in written media, like forums, where I see it used the most. A person can look apologetic and embarrassed when telling a friend something that may come off as mean, but there are no such assets in writing. So, "no offense" gets more use on forums to make it clear that something isn't being said in a mean or antagonizing tone. Which I'm perfectly fine with, to be honest. :3

I do try refrain from saying it for example,like the person above said
"No offense, you look fat in that dress."
I'd rather just say "that dress doesn't suit you"....which may cause a little offence but on the other hand another dress might suit. :awesome:

Even though the person saying "no offence" doesnt meant to cause any offence,I think in some cases it could create an inner feeling towards the fat person which doesn't make the person feel nice either way. :sad3:

But people need to wake up and face it how they are fat,skinny,ugly or whatever.....they should face reality and be proud of what they are. :mokken:

I hate the saying "No Offense" I do use it myself out of habit though.

Saying No Offense is just setting the person up before telling them something that is most probably going to offend them haha.
I don't think saying it is going to make them feel less offended.

And sometimes people say it snidely like they say "no Offense" then say something completely and utterly offensive.

I do try refrain from saying it for example,like the person above said I'd rather just say "that dress doesn't suit you"....which may cause a little offence but on the other hand another dress might suit. :awesome:

This. There are some things that regardless of how you try to make it sound less offensive it will just naturally sound rude and/or offensive regardless of what the intention behind it was. Some things are just better said by skirting around the edges rather than being blunt.

the only time i say it is when I don't know if it will cause offense or not- and most of the times I am not truly being offensive but more humorous and want to make sure the other person take it as a joke.

I don't really think it helps so much. I only say no offense when I really mean it- but when people use it constantly, it's more like an excuse to insult people with hopes of no repercussion. I dunno... personally, I think people should be truthful... but watch what they say anyway... Does that make sense?

the term no offence is one i slender use really, i mean yea when my fiancée asks if her bum looks big in a pair of jeans i say "I have no comment be it for or against the statement you just made" and if my friend asks me if he is making a massive mistake taking back the girl who has cheated on him with some random guy in a night club i say "I have no comment be it for or against the statement you just made" but when i am face with the girl who cheated on him i tend to say "no offence, but your a slag" but when i use it in that context its a tendancy that im being sarcastic with the no offence.

coming from the prospective of somebody who hears the saying "no Offence" a little to often, i really just ignore the line no offence, and take the statement as is, like if one of my friends comes out with "no offence man, but are you crazy?" i tend to reply with a light heart as it's not meant to be offensive, but if somebody came out with "no offence man, but your a F***ing T***er who should F*** off" I take it offensively.

i guess what im trying to say is that it's not really the way a person says no offence, it's more the context in which they use 'No offence' that determines weather or not what is said is offensive.

I'm not easily offended, but if I was, saying "no offense" wouldn't help much. I'd still be offended.

Though it does show the speaker has enough consideration to realize that what they're about to say might be hurtful, tasteless, whatever. Bonus points for that at least.

I never say that phrase. I don't have to. The company I keep is a group of guys that make countless cracks at each other and even make fun of each other's race. It's just what we do. I don't make it a point to ever offend anyone, so I don't say the phrase because then it would come off that I've said something that I felt was wrong and I never do. I would agree that some people are too easily offended ( *cough* My best friend's girlfriend *cough* *cough* ) and you should probably be wary around these people. But I don't keep company with people who are too easily offended because I personally find those variety of people to be utterly insufferable.

I guess I use it sometimes, actually. I don't really realize it, but when I do say it... I mean it. Like saying "No offense meant, but what your mother just did really irked me" is a situation I'd use it in. I really don't mean to make the person mad or anything, but it's something that I feel needs to be said as well, I think.

I'm not sure it actually... helps, but it makes me feel better to say it, I guess.

To me, saying "no offense" just means, "I don't mean to offend you, but I'm about to offend you." I never bother using the phrase when I talk. I may preface a sentence that'll offend someone with "Sorry, but...", though.

If I'm really close to the person, then I won't preface it with anything, and just say it.

I tend to use it online more than I do offline, simply due to the fact that I tend to come off as rather blunt at times and thus it helps erode away some of the tension.

To be fair though, I've mostly got into the habit of doing it purely because certain MMORPG's are full of people who will pick apart every little statement and somehow take offense to it.

I generally see using "no offense" as a way to clearly delineate between sincere honesty and blunt meanness.

I agree with this.

I would only say "no offense" if I really needed to say something to someone, but know would more than likely upset them.

I try to avoid this as much as I can, but if it's for the best I will come out with it.

If you wanted to be mean you wouldn't bother saying, 'No offense.' You'd just come out and say it, unless you were a coward. =/

Back