Saying "no offense"

well

the point of the phrase is to express that you don't mean to offend, but simply, there is something that must be pointed out. that's the way it's meant to be used, but I think you actually have to care to distinguish the difference between sincerity and blatant asshattery. :monster:

No. Fuck those people that say "no offense".

Odds are you just said something mean, and now you're gonna try to cover it up or look innocent by saying "no offense". What you said has already been said, and feelings have changed. Fuck outta here with that.

I notice people don't say it much anymore, but a few years ago my friends would say it and I hated it :hmph: It was mainly the way they used it. If you say it in front of an insult, that doesn't magically remove any hurt feelings! "No offense, but that outfit is really ugly." Then why would you say it?? :gasp:

I use it when I know I may be offending someone in a calm conversation. I want the person to know I have no intention to offend him/her, I'm just expressing my opinion and it sounds better than "just saying".

It's pretty much useless in a heated debate though.

Odds are you just said something mean, and now you're gonna try to cover it up or look innocent by saying "no offense". What you said has already been said, and feelings have changed. Fuck outta here with that.

No way man! I use it all the time in a genuine way. Sure, for some people it's a way to get a dig in at someone. Sometimes the truth hurts and it shows that you aren't being spiteful.

I have found that some people will say this almost because they feel they have a right to say something nasty, but they don't want to lose face. Some feel they are better than someone else, or believe that the person they are offending needs changing. I think some feel that 'no offence' proves they are nice really, even though their comment is entirely insensitive (and rather selfish; we should tolerate differences)

That is by no means true all the time!;)

Well if you're a sarcastic asshole like me, you don't need to say "no offense" you just use your wit to insult someone :wacky:

It might be because they don't want to come off rude or malicious, but c'mon its just a bs way to try and get away with saying something insulting/ degrading, etc.

"You look fat, no offense."

The way I perceive it, is that [said person] is claiming that [the person] is still fat saying no offense does nothing to ease the mind of what was said.

Now if you were friends, maybe you could get a way with it but I'd prefer just straight blunt honesty. Don't try and cover it up.

LOL! Oh, man...it was funny because it's true, and the way you said it.

I don't like it when people say that. It just gets me more offended. And it's become such a "casual" thing to say that I dislike it. It's one of those blatant throw-outs, like "no-homo". OMG - who came up with that? That's the dumbest thing ever. I HATE it when people say that, because it's so offensive to people who are "homo". Please, just stop. *SMH* -_-

But, yeah..."no offense" is something I don't use. I feel like only people who are jerks would be comfortable throwing that out there. I don't care if what you said wasn't too mean and it really wasn't meant to offend me, I'd rather you just use something else that's actually more genuine. I'd rather hear, "I don't mean to offend you, but..." because "no offense" is just too fast/blunt and thrown around. It's just NOT a good phrase to use, imo.

Hmm, I don't know, I catch myself using it sometimes even if I'm not actually saying something nasty, but more about blunt honesty. Sometimes blunt honesty has a way of offending others even if you're not out to make life miserable for them, so I try to watch for that. I mean nothing by the saying, whatsoever, nor do I have hidden agenda behind the meaning of my words, etc. It's not an excuse to insult people. That's not me.

The saying 'no offense' is fucking stupid. People that say it are just trying to 'save face' if they say something negative. Just say what you were going to say. Don't cover it up.
Saying 'no offense' doesn't excuse causing offense. And it certainly doesn't prevent it either.

I for the life of me don't understand why people say "no offense." The spread or discussion of ideas, thoughts, and viewpoints should not have to be PC, censored, or be given a caution sign such as "no offense." If you have something to say, don't sugarcoat it. Just say it.

Back