Ozma

I was browsing on youtube recently and stumbled upon a video of someone beating Ozma with all lvl 1 characters. I was wondering if anyone had completed this impressive task or if anyone has beaten Ozma at all. I remember trying but always coming up short. Maybe ill give it another shot.
Coincidently, I happened upon that same video, mainly because the guy who made it posted in this thread bragging about "If you want to see me beat Ozma on level one, search youtube for 'ozma lv 1'.

I feel sorry for all you poor misled souls who said you haven't defeated Ozma. I see alot of people here with war stories about almost having defeated him in a long fought Yaizmat-type battle Lol. He's actually very, veeery easy.

Equip your members with Egoist's Armlet, if you're using Freya or Steiner, equip the demons mail. You should have two pumice pieces if you have not already found your way over to Hades and synthesised them together to get Sara's ultimate summon, Ark (You shouldn't go to Hades yet anyway because if you defeat Ozma before Hades, you get to witness a short instance of Hades being a little girl, considering backing out of the fight you have to go through to unlock his shop.)

Best idea would be to give Zidane one of them because he is the man and most likely your highest level character: Hence, best for ressurecting/keeping people alive in the toughest situations. Give the second one to Sara or Eiko, whichever healer it is that you use. Equip the other two that didn't get the pumice pieces with the Ribbon, now you should have four characters that are either immune or absorbing shadow and holy damage, which is all Ozma really has.

Make sure you have Auto reflect on EVERYONE (Cant stress this enough, people. Seriously. Do it, do it. If you have Vivi and can afford it use the reflect x2, it's good if you're lower level to make sure that you're sending back maximum damage) To repel his goofy status effects (I HATE status effect heavy enemies.) Equip your healer with Refelct-Null to get curaga past the reflect barriers up, and auto regen, as you'll be spending alot of time watching cutscenes of you and Ozma sending doomsday and holy back and forth at each other for quite a while, giving you a stunning head start in health. Add in the eidolons and Ozma's pretty screwed, isn't he? Put return magic on somebody so that he doesn't get away with healing half your characters and doing nothing to the other half scott-free. Make him pay.

I beat Ozma the first time I ever battled him in three minutes flat. I was only mostly around level 40 and none of my characters took any damage, let alone died.

Ozma is all about your equipment to nullify his devastating life threatening attacks, and your abilities to keep his magic and status effects off you, and to keep your health up and send his own crazy power back at him.

Very, very strong. Very, very easy. Pretty big loop-hole in his assault.

Ozma's light excersize for the 3 Yan fights. That's right, I destroy planetary-type life-forms to warm up for little sheep/mountain goats, Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?

*Edits*

Funny lil side note, I can see how some of you may not find it particularly hilarious, but I actually saved before Ozma, not in case I lost, but so I could reset it a few times to get a better Ozma card from Mene, lol.

Worth it. I got completely monstrous stats with EVERY ARROW after like five or six go's at 'em

Hang in there, young MCs. Seriously though, you follow my strategy exactly and you'll be laughing out loud, or rolling on the floor laughing your ass off at Ozma in no time. I was mad the first time I fought him, for him dropping so early. Lol.

Last edited:
Gragh! I hated this optional boss! I NEVER managed to defeat him! Even after following a guide with specific step-by-step instructions! I guess im just totally unlucky and doubt ill ever win. :(

Have you completed the Friendly Animals side-quest. That will help because he will be vulnerable to Shadow damage. I forget if it lends you any other advantage.

I hve killed Ozma for the second time, and this time I actually remember it woohoo, I honestly have NO idea how I managed to beat him the time I mentioned above seeing as I didnt complete the monsters of gaia side quest >_> Or I expect, have shadow absorby armour on

Anyhoo, after TWO WHOLE DAYS of trying, I beat the bouncy bastard today >_>

Used Amarant lvl 57ish (return magic - throw command) Steiner also 57ish I think (Shock) Eiko 62 ish (Madeen/Phoenix - Curaga) And Zidane lvl 69(......remedies as needed....>_>)

Once I ditched Vivi for Amarant I won first time, I tried so many combionations of Steiner, Vivi, Eiko and Quina aswel, the 3 of them just not having enough hp to live......

Equipped ribbons, pummice peices, egoist armlets and whatever that armour is for Steiner, only he absorbed the shadow, the others were just immune. But it's better than taking damage :monster:

Anyway, lucky me saw Ozma start with Doomsday (yay) enter return magic. Throw wing edge, shock & madeen. Zidane....well, he just sat there, cant remember what happened next, probably fucking curse. Fixed that little mess up, Think there were a couple of deaths, so phoeonix came out to play, ahd to do some remedyage. Erm, I Meteor wiped out Zidane and Steiner straight away shortly after, but I had already inputted my moves, so Amarant did his return magic, eat 9999 meteor damage ozma you TWAT, he then threw a wing edge, Eiko summoned Madeen and the little arse died.

Victory shriek at the tv was had by me : )

I was so so lucky >_>

That's some nice commentary! I havn't been able to play my IX game cos work is too busy, which sucks :( but maybe il get to next week! but i doubt it.

I can't remember whether or not I beat Ozma last time or not either. Pretty sure I did. But can't remember the fight or anything. soooo, hopefully within two weeks, I can post on saying I did it! :D

Have you completed the Friendly Animals side-quest. That will help because he will be vulnerable to Shadow damage. I forget if it lends you any other advantage.
It does. If you've not completed the Friendly Souls side quest, you can't even attack him physically. That's why the Yahn, (The last friendly animal) says to you after you give him the diamond I believe: "Now you can reach the big guy" If you try to physically attack Ozma before that it tells you that you cannot reach him.

http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/final-fantasy-ix/defeat-ozma-in-under-five-minutes-22623.html

The title of that thread is "Defeat Ozma in five minutes"

If Ozma is even slightly challenging to you, check out that thread. If you even do most of the things listed he becomes pretty simple.

Gragh! I hated this optional boss! I NEVER managed to defeat him! Even after following a guide with specific step-by-step instructions! I guess im just totally unlucky and doubt ill ever win. :(
Did you try my strategy for him step for step? You don't even have to finish the friendly soul sidequest to physically attack him. Completely unnecessary.

I've actually only given it a few tries. I think I have the team strength to do it, but I think you have to have a good rhythm in the game to accomplish this. What I mean is, I can't just pick up the game after 2 years of not playing it, go right in and face Ozma, and defeat him. I have to sort out a few battles with some regular enemies, give Ozma a few battles to remember what his attacks are, what I should equip on my characters, and who to bring in.

After a few ass-kickin's, then put my team together and demolish him once and for all. I just haven't gotten around to going back to FFIX to do this after all these years.

Figure'd since the Ozma thread was on the second page, I'd give these 2 a merge and move it up to the front page to see if the discussion will continue.

:Merged:

so I FINALLY killed Ozma

I had already fused my two pummice pieces that offer dark absorbtion, so my party was as follows!

Zidane, Freya, Steiner, Eiko.

Zidane didn't do anything, just item-ed and waited til he hit trance as my thievery skill isn't that great. Freya, tank with dragon crest. Steiner, tank with Shock. Eiko, Phoenix and Curaga.

I died twice but held it together on my third attempt (I tried it with Amarant and return magic, but he kept dying, so that didn't work!) but I think it has a lot to do with luck. You've just got to make sure he doesn't feel like wiping you out at the start of the match!

I think I tried killing him once, but failed miserably and just never tried again. I dont remember, but is do you get anything special when you kill him. Or is it one of those just because I pwn battles?

You get a Pummice, which can used for Garnet/Dagger to learn Ark. You get a dark matter too, Then Menne, the little moogle, give you the Ozma card and a treasure hunting strategy guide. Plus you get the pwnage!

I think that means im pretty much finished IX now, so I'm off to finish it, but with the hammer this time! :P

Last edited:
Ozma really is just pure luck. You can start the battle off,he goes first and uses Meteor which as everyone knows about the damage. Everyone dies (or if you're lucky some survive),then he will go again and do the same thing or do Curse then meteor without you having a turn. Next battle can be totally different.

I've beaten him twice. First time was on my first play through of the game. I didn't do the friendly monster side quest. I had Zidane,Garnet,Steiner and Eiko and they were all around level 60 or so. I died after like 15 minutes or so then Phoenix brought me back. After that,he went down in about 5 more minutes.

Second time,same party although everyone was level 99. He killed me a bunch of times before hand by doing what I mentioned above with Meteor. I don't use Auto Life so I rely on Phoenix to decide to come. Anyway around the 4th time,he went down in 3 to 4 minutes.

Back