Playstation PSP Top 5 List

Setzer Gabbiani

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
What are your top 5 PSP games of all times? Please give an explanation on why you choose them as your top 5 PSP games.

1.Monster Hunter Freedom Unite- I choose this as one of my top PSP game because of it's features. It has a unique battle system, a character customization, a great online system, great graphics and great sound effects.

2.Dissidia Duodecim 012: Final Fantasy- This is one of the greatest fighting game that Square Enix has made for the PSP. It's the sequel to the original Dissidia Final Fantasy. It has a outstanding new story line, a new assist system, a new world map function, a roster of new characters, and so much more. One of the things that I like the most about the new features is the world map. In this version of Dissidia Final Fantasy you get to explore the world as you progress through the each character's story. This new additions made the game more interesting than the original version.

3. Dissidia Final Fantasy- It has a great story line, a unique battle system, great graphics, great sound effects and great voice overs.

4.?

5.?

Those are the only PSP games that I have played so far. I will update my list once I play more PSP games.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'll revive this thread.

1. Dissidia FF: Nothing better than seeing your fav main chars beating the shit out of each other, and the graphics are great, considering it's on a PSP.

2. Monster Hunter Series: Killing dragons, dinos and big baddies? Yeah, it's a gamer's dream.

3. Tekken, Dark Resurrection - One of my favorite games, and on the PSP? :jess:

4. ?

5. ?

1) Persona 3 Portable - Fantastic game made even better for the PSP port. I love it, and it's keeping me rather busy.

2) Monster Hunter 3rd - Yes, I'm playing it pirated with an English patch, and rest assured, you're all going to love it. They brought back the bow, and revamped the way a lot of weapons worked. You will not be displeased.

3) Adventures to Go! - A simple, and I do mean simple, RPG. It's fun, the dialogue is great, and at only 89mbs, a must grab. I love this game.

4) Lunar: Silver Star Harmony - Fantastic port of the PSX classic. DO NOT FUCKING GRIND, I AM WARNING YOU NOW. The voice acting is much better, and it's a blast.

5) Ys Seven - FUCK YEAH, YS UP IN THIS BITCH. If you've never played a game in the series before, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? Fast paced combat, awesome music, and a pretty good plot meld together to make a damned good action RPG. A must buy.

1. Zettai Hero Project: Absolute Victory Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman - The title enough should be enough to convince you of how awesome this game is. Nippon Ichi really surpassed themselves with this one, I was laughing with just the intro, and it just got better as time went on. Plus it has that trademark grindfest feel to it, with a horrendous amount of customization, and it's bloody difficult to boot.

2. Star Ocean: First Departure - Second Evolution was good, but this was better, because the characters were just so much more likeable...as were their voices. Ronyx is easily the most awesome member of the Kenny family, and there was some actual emotion to the storyline, which wasn't really present in Second Evolution.

3. Hexyz Force - This is one of those under-appreciated anime games that very few people have heard of and even less have played. Despite the lack of voice acting (which may be a good thing as far as some people are concerned) it's a very, very fun game, with a great story (two stories in fact, which overlap every now and then) a simple battle system, and incredible graphics and soundtrack. I really enjoyed playing it~

4. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - If it wasn't for the existence of FFXII, I'd label this the best Final Fantasy game in existence. It has an incredible storyline and very addicting gameplay...oh, and a Balthier cameo. Can't go wrong with that.

5. Tales of Eternia - Almost forgot to mention this. Eternia had a great storyline, and it lasted me quite a while, as well. I'd say this was better than Vesperia, although not quite as good as Symphonia. It was never particularly hard, but it was quite epic...plus Meredy is absolutely ADORABLE.

1. Dissidia Final Fantasy (and soon to be Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy) - IMO, it's every Final Fantasy fan's dream game. All your favorite heroes and villains gathered together fighting one another. How can you not love beating up Cloud with Terra?

2. Final Fanatsy Tactics: War of the Lions - Pretty fun game, but one that I have to be in the mood to play. I'm currently trying to max out the jobs before I progress the story more.

3. Final Fantasy I & II - I put these two together on this list since simply remakes, but I play them both often.

4. Star Ocean: Second Evolution - I would have included First Departure, but that one doesn't hold my attention as well as Second Evolution. Fairly fast paced game.

5. Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2 - Since they are pretty similar, I can't really pick which one I think is better. An interesting RPG, I think it makes killing stuff fun.

If I were to have done this in April, everything would be shifted down a spot (thus pushing Phantasy Star off completely) due to Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection. With IV being my favorite Final Fantasy of all time, that game will get most of my attention.

Admittedly, I don't have many games on my PSP yet and a few of them are the PS1 Classics but here goes!

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - immersive and brilliant RPG that has an excellent level of depth in regards to both gameplay and story. Somewhat difficult at times, however.

2. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth - Same as above, really.

3. Final Fantasy 9 - My favourite PS1 RPG on my PSP? Hell yeah!

4. Final Fantasy 7 - My second favourite PS1 RPG on my PSP? ...you see where I'm going with that.

5. Grandia - I remember playing this years ago, I never fininished until recently but it has a certain charm about it.

1. Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep: I do love the Kingdom Hearts series, and I found this to be quite enjoyable. Pretty good voice acting (Aqua is not the best though), music is unbelievable, graphics are very good for the PSP, and the story.. I'm still completing

2. Final Fantasy Dissidia: I know I said this game got kind of boring to me, but I still play it here and there. It has a great cast of characters, a bunch of remixed songs, and kick-ass battle system.

3. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core: Story about Zack, what else can I say??

4. Final Fantasy I & II: I loved them because the first two weren't available to me, and I wanted to try them. Also love the remixes :)

5. Oh darn, I can't think of any :(

Jeanne D'Arc.
Although it calls itself a tactical RPG, it's more like a normal JRPG, but with a grid. At least it still has some significant tactical elements, unlike Astonishia story. (which is still worth playing if only for the hilarious dialogue) But JD rocks, I love it to bits, and it's hilarious that this ''tactical rpg'' uses a historical figure seeped in religious matter, but has nothing to do with religion haha.
The game is terribly cliché, but it's all done very well. Not one beastman, but THREE.

Silent Hill Origins
Well, if you're a fan of Silent Hill, there are better titles in the franchise, but for a SH game that wasn't made by Team Silent, this certainly does deserve some rec. Personally, I think that the story sort of lacks, since the ''origin'' basically centers around Travis's messed up childhood, but eh, gotta love a man who gets into fistfights with roadkill.
I hated how the alternate universe worked though, and how you were free to switch between it and the normal (normal lol) world at will. I find the whole choice thing lame, since you didn't have a choice but to follow specific switching orders in order to solve puzzles or advance plot. Spontaneous switching is way better, where you've no control at all.
Still, I liked the game good enough.

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together
Some fans are discontent with this because it's actually nothing like the original. But eh, if you like tactical RPG's, you can't go wrong with this, at least on PSP.

Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions
While I totally abhor the inclusion of that guy from FFTA2 being in my badass, dark original Tactics, this port is just great, plus I really love the reworked, more knightly dialogue.

Dreams do not fill a man's stomach or makes soft the packed earth on which he beds!

Come on, that's awesome.

I can't think of anything else that isn't a classic PS1 game I'd get from the PSN, so I'll just go ahead and say Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection.

1. Final Fantasy VI - I've been playing this on my PSP and it's simply incredible.
  2. Tales of Eternia - My first PSP game and my first real introduction to the Tales series. It's not quite Final Fantasy, but it's still very good.
  3. Tekken: Dark Resurrection - This game is incredibly addictive and fun to play and is one of the first I really enjoyed on the PSP. I haven't played it in a while but I have a lot of good memories of it. The gameplay's very good, the music and levels are well designed and compliment one another perfectly, and each small character story is quite fun too!
  4. Star Ocean: Second Evolution - Nicely designed. I haven't played nearly enough of it yet, but I have high expectations, so... :hmm:
  5. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth - Good story and characters, fairly nice gameplay, incredible music. It's always good to experience an old classic! :)

In no particular order except #1 .

5) God Eaters: Burst - Slightly monotonous but still pretty enjoyable. It's like Monster Hunter mixed with Shin Megami Tensei. I loved the art style. Though fighting the same monsters in the same, like, 8 maps does start feeling a little tedious. But worth mentioning.

4) God of War: Ghost of Sparta - I've always had a fairly love/hate relationship with this series. Hated the first one. Loved the second one. Found the third game to be oddly forgettable. And I enjoyed both of the PSP titles. Never played the cell phone game, but I've yet to personally meet anyone who has so...eh. Part of the reason I enjoyed the PSP games so much is because they were both fun as hell and fairly short, which I feel can actually work in a game's favor cause it helps prevent it from becoming too "samey". Also, it's because Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta were the only games in the series where I actually kinda felt bad for Kratos. It's one thing for a character to just be an anti-hero. It's even okay for them to border on being a villain. But Kratos is just absolutely rotten and completely unlikable. I could probably overlook it if he was just amoral or even immoral if they made his character engaging enough, but unfortunately they also made him a complete idiot who's constantly betrayed because he can't figure out that maybe all those gods you pissed off from being an insufferable prick might have other agendas. Anyways, awesome game with memorable sets and probably one of my all time favorite final boss fights.

3) Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite - I was kinda reluctant to put this game on here because because, in all honesty, I never really got that far into it. I enjoyed what I played but found myself constantly distracted by other things. I'd hope to get around to finishing it one day, or at the very least playing more of it. It was a damn good game and I absolutely understand why people love it.

2) Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - While my love for the KH franchise has dwindled significantly in the last few years, Birth by Sleep was phenomenal. Engaging writing, memorable characters, and great game mechanics. Plus, two really awesome performances from Mark Hamil and Leonard Nimoy. Probably the best game in the entire series.

1) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - I know run this series into the ground talking about but I don't care. I think I put more hours on my Peace Walker file than any game in recent memory with roughly 130 hours. I haven't played the game in a while but I couldn't put that game down when I played it and I haven't played any game that much since. It was just that good.

Gods Eater: Burst
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

It's hard for me to name 5 good PSP games as I mostly play remakes of older games and psone classics on it. If you booted up my PSP right now, all you'd find is the old FF games, Disgaea 1 & 2 and God Eater.

I think that uh... Gungnir, was it? Seemed like a cool game, but never got around to finishing it.

1. Star Ocean: First Departure - I love the Star Ocean series.
2. Star Ocean: Second Evolution - Same as 1.
3. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth - A great port of the PS1 game.
4. Persona 3 Portable - A port of the PS2 game that lets you play as a female. Although I did not like it as much.
5. Lunar: Silver Star Harmony - An excellent port of the PS1 game, but with better voice acting.

This is a tricky one as I don't want to make a list of ports... So I will do one list of Exclusives & another of ports

Exclusives:
1. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Crisis Core took me a long time to get into, I'm not sure why but as soon as I focused on it I was hooked! It was a great idea for a Spin-off and well executed. I did have an issue where I got really far into the repetitive side missions to have my save glitch out my progress to 0% but beyond that it was a solid game and one I'd love a HD Port of! Also, I'm curious to see if it will stand the test of time past this upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake...

2. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
One of the best entries in the series! This game really dove deep into the series lore and was very compelling. Features a good amount of Disney worlds most well represented despite the limitations of the console and the combat system was even better than the console counter-parts! The shoulder cycle system was brilliant for dishing out moves on the fly! But what makes this game even better is the PS4 version! Seriously, that game is near perfect and probably my favourite game in the series to play with the controls mapped out on a Dual Analogue controller. If you're into Kingdom Hearts, you can't miss out on this!

3. Dissidia 012: Duo Decui-Whatever!
Loved this game! I don't usually play arcade type games like this but really dug the combat system, the sequel expanded upon the original with a World Map and fun quest mode. Being a compilation title of multiple FF's it not going to have a stand out narrative, but it tried and was competent enough for fans.

4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
I feel conflicted on this, while it was a very good game with plenty of scope in missions and it's Mother base training I felt the story took a nose drive from here on out in the series. The tech was far to futuristic for the time period which messes a lot of the canon up and I just didn't like the story overall as much. Much like the KH:BBS the port to PS3 is the superior version due to dual-analogue functionality. I will say the game offered a brilliant co-op mode where you could do the story missions with a buddy. But I spent a good 80-100 hours on this so can't complain really.

5. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Very solid God of War entry worthy of the series and shouldn't be passed up... … … Once again though you can play this on the PS3 for a superior experience but this game doesn't have a 3D camera like the other 2 game so it's perfectly enjoyable on the original device!

Ports:
1. Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, 4, Tactics

Yes, YES, YESSS, YESSSSS & YESSSSSS!!!!! This is what made the console stand out for me, them beautiful FF ports, I still find this the best way to play all of these titles, the 2D sprites in these versions are crisp and still have a lovely 16-bit feel - How I wish the iOS ports of V & VI were the same but they're abysmal! Final Fantasy 3 on PSP is the 3D Remake from the DS and while a Japan exclusive it is fully playable in English - Or you can opt for the PC Steam version now to be fair.

2. Shadow of Destiny
Well, this was unexpected, a port of one of my favourite games of all time? Yes please! The interesting difference is that they added more NPC's around the town and the whole game has a different set of voice overs - I preferred the originals but still having Shadow of Memories on the go is very appealing!

3. Tekken Dark Resurrection
Play this game to death at College, superior to Tekken 5 with a few new characters!

4. Star Ocean - First Departure & Second Story
I admit I played the Second Story on PS1 after beating the PSP port of Star Ocean 1 but t=The First Departure was a great experience - Looking forward to the PS4 Upscale version in December!

5. MediEvil: Resurrection
Another great port but much like the upcoming PS4 Remake ignores the 2nd game - Why?

Last edited:
in no particular order:

• Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
  • .hack//Link
  • Bleach games (Heat the Soul and Soul Carnival)

Interesting you both mention Persona 3 on PSP, wasn't that version heavily condensed on the exploration side? I screenshots of having to move a cursor over isometric view areas which was enough to put me off - I did play Persona 3 FES on PS2 and enjoyed it though. On that matter I wish they actually released both parts to Persona 2 worldwide. I'd have actually tried it then....

Back