A3 or Sequel FFT Game Wanted List

Rune174

Gil
If there was a 3rd game of the Advanced series, or a successful sequel to War of the Lions, what would you come to expect of it? Honestly, I enjoyed different concepts of all three. By taking those concepts while adding a few nifty functions, it would be a great game indeed. So here is a few things that would make the game a bit more replayable. If you find something that would be a great idea but isn't here, post it.

1. No more Judges:

The judge system severely hindered gameplay by limiting one's actions in lue of certain bonuses that made the game unnecessarily easy. While that only adds to the challenge, there are plenty of other factors that could do the same. In War of the Lions, if a person was knocked out, save for certain guest characters in the story, they each have 3 turns before the character 'dies'. Judges remove the dark cloud of death in certain situations.

If Judges could only play a minor role in the story, create an option to have them at the beginning, like offering the main character a law card as a major decition. Such a decision allows for certain bonuses should you choose one over the other:

-No Judge: Risk of permanently losing a character, but 10% more EXP and AP is awarded.

-Judge Present: Removes the Risk of death, Bonuses to certain attributes given the Privelages chosen.

2. Abilities and Equipment:

In Advanced and A2, one thing that they did right was making it so that one could only gain abilities by arming characters with various weapons or equipment. By earning enough AP (Ability Points), a character can master the equipment's ability and move on to another, retaining the skill learned and learn the next. The JP (Job Points) made the idea of leveling up a character's class tedious at best. Some skills cannot be learned unless a character is at a specified class level (See below).

3. Classes and Races:

The only race I really had a problem with was the Seeq so I'm exluding them from this review. All the others were fine and fitted perfectly in the game. Back on topic, Each race should be able to have equal opportunities to become the same class. Humans can become Assassins and Gunners, and Moogles should become Blue Mages and Archers. This goes on with all the races, although some are more efficient in one class over the other. Say Nu-Mou are selected as Gladiators, their growth would increase less gradually in their stats when they level up as opposed to Bangaa whose stats would increase significantly more. The opposite could be said the same for Bangaa if one decided to make them into a Black Mage, where the Nu-Mou would normally thrive in such a class.

4. Class Levels and Class Points:

Not to be confused with a character's base level, the class levels are determinant by the skills that a character learns, each valued at a specified number of class points (CP). When a skill is learned, that skill has a class point value that is accrued in a single level. When the value climbs to a certain threshold, a character's class level (CP) increases. Some skills require a certain class level in order to learn them. So if a characters class level is too low, some skills will be inaccessible, deeming him/her to be too inexperienced in order to learn it, and thus incapable of wielding that equipment. The same applies when a character wishes to progress in order to use another more useful classes.

Example: A human priest whose class level is at 4 could not wield a staff which could only be wielded by a character with a class level of 7.

5. New Game +:

This is an option that I've been hoping for since the earliest FFT game back in the PSX genre. Remember that first time you beat War of the Lions, and you found yourself unable to go back to the map screen and had to start over from scratch? I certainly do, and with the New Game + option, it could increase the replayability of the game. When a person beats this game, it would be boring just to simply go 'back' to the map screen, so why not simply start over. You can experience the entire story line all over again while retaining the skills and CL you have earned. Your equipment and base levels, however, will be reverted back to square one.

6. Facing:

In FFA and War of the Lions, facing was an important factor when combat was involved. If somebody simply attacked from the front, they had a significantly lower chance of hitting and decreases the damage dealt. In A2, it felt that only the damage was hindered while accuracy remained the same regardless of the facing. The return to the roots of facing will make this right again.

7. Weather and Time:

In all the games thus far, time has always been a factor in Final Fantasy. More often than not in reality, some weather can only be experienced during certain times of the year. In spring, rain would occur the most often, while snow would occur only in the winter. In certain regions in Ivalice, however, there could only be one type of weather. Far nothern regions could only experience snow, Areas along the oceans along the equator would experience alot of rain. Occasionally, one would come along an area during the summer and experience draughts. You get where I'm going with this. Anways, some forms of weather could impact how gameplay could be made :

[align=center]Be aware that some monsters or certain equipment gives immunities to these effects[/align]

Rain- Jumping height decreased by 50%
Snow- Movement is decreased by 25%
Draught- Damage Dealt and Recieved decreases by 10%
Moderate- Status remain unchanged

8. Terrain Hazzards and Traps:

As fans of War of the Lions and A2 are aware, some terrain have certain qualities that are harmful given certain conditions, as well as traps that inflict many different kinds of status ailments. All of which are not always laid by NPCs or characters (Much like the level down or doom traps).

Swamps: If stepped in, the character will instantly become poisoned.

Volcanic: After a certain number of turns, the volcano will erupt, damaging all characters on the map.

Lava: Being in a lava filled environment damages those who are not protected from the intense heat.

Deep Water/Snow: Characters in deep water/snow cannot perform actions.

The judges were fine in FFTA2. The problem with them in the original was that the penalties for accidentally breaking the law were way too harsh. In A2 it was changed so that your clan got a signifigant bonus until you broke the law and if you managed not to break it for the entirity of the battle, then you got some bonus gil or items or equipment. You can certainly play FFTA2 wholely ignoring the Judges and law system.

I've seen way too much hate directed at the Seeq and for the life of me I can't understand in the least. It seems to me they would be perfectly acceptable if it weren't for not having enough classes and not having any proper high-tier abilities. But if one merely fixes them from a mechanical perspective, they would be fine.

There really isn't any reason all races should be all classes. The races are distinctly different enough that it would remove sort of their essence to give them the same classes at this point. Furthermore, if the races are at all different in terms of stats then someone would simply be wholely subpar in certain classes. However, they should, for the most part, have access to the same sorts of abilities so you don't have to specifically be race X in order to catch a monster, steal an item or use an ice element attack. The fundamental mechanics should be available to all races.

There are also a number of races that could be added to the game-- the Revgaji (should be from the start), the Aegyl (almost certainly a late-game addition) and the Gariff are chief amongst them, but also it would seem reasonable to allow Baknamy or Urutan to be able to equip weapons and armor and somehow get added to your clan then learn a decent set of various abilities even if they only have one "class"--

For instance a Baknamy could be equipped with daggers, claws, maces, light armor, etc. and be able to learn Blind, Goblin Punch, Leap, Magic Hammer, Mug (50% attack damage and use a random 'steal' action), Mutilate, Silence, Sleep, Tranq, Absorb Damage, Archer Bane, Bonecrusher, Counter, Critical Berserk, Magic Counter, Return Fire, Avoid Traps, Death Strike, Item Lore, Resistance, Spellbound as well as being locked into "Item" as their secondary action list.

The Urutan would have a similar list of abilities it could utilize. Perhaps it would be best if the Gariff were utilized in a similar way but would gain select warrior and geomancer abilities. But the monsterous clan members should be a mid to late game recruitable utilizing some sort of 'charm' or 'catch' ability.

The class level seems too restrictive. And if you recruit a character late in the game and want to switch classes, you are not going to want to have to worry about equiping them with excessively poor equipment because their class level isn't very high.

I loved A2 and TWOTL, I loved the judge system in FFTA as well, but I do think having the equip item to learn ability is a much better idea, as I am way ahead of my self on TWOTL as a ninja in just chapter 2, whereas if you limit learning to what items are available then you can prevent too much over powering your characters and you actually end up losing out because if your stuck with the lower classes your stat groth rate isn't brilliant.

I would love to see another tactics, with the judge system of FFTA so you actually have some form of control by using cards or changing the day on which you fight, not being able to die while the judge was there and learning abilities from items (which I always loved since I first saw it in FF9) to prevent getting access to the higher class jobs before your really meant to.

I would also like to see a few more classes (like being able to unlock the judge class if you master 10 jobs or something like that) more weapons and maybe special equipment that only mastered jobs can equip. I would like to see more abilities as well.

Ok, I'm gonna be repeating a couple of aspects that you guys have mentioned, but here we go.

For a start, I'd prefer a sequel to TWOTL. That first Tactics game was amazing, where as the Advanced games were a bit too bright and colourful for my liking. Still good though.

I wouldn't want the judges hanging around. They could ruin a fun battle with stupidly hard laws to bypass with the wrong party. "Do not attack" and "Do not use white magic" are the sort of thing I mean.

I'd like a serious storyline with a dark atmosphere, like TWOTL. Loads of backstabbing, blood and betrayal would be the best case scenario for me.

A system where the characters don't die for good if they stay down for a few turns. This is the only thing I disliked in the original. Not nice :(

A few new classes to change things up a bit. Maybe some from FFX-2? Like lady luck, mascot and maybe some of the special dresspheres as a form of trance? Maybe the trance bar could fill every time you hit and get hit, like usual.

That's all I can think of right now :)

I couldn't stand the judges in FFTA! That just made me quit the game all together for a while.. I forced myself into beating it!

But a true sequel to FFT Would be amazing.. or even a prequel, maybe events of the 50 year war, or even the time of Ajora If they do a sequel maybe the event's of Delita's reign, or what happen to Ramza, or event's right after Delita's reign would be cool also.

I couldn't stand the judges in FFTA! That just made me quit the game all together for a while.. I forced myself into beating it!

But a true sequel to FFT Would be amazing.. or even a prequel, maybe events of the 50 year war, or even the time of Ajora If they do a sequel maybe the event's of Delita's reign, or what happen to Ramza, or event's right after Delita's reign would be cool also.

Ok, spoilers ahoy!
I thought Ramza died at the end of Tactics? Also, Delita definitely died, 'cause he stabbed himself after stabbing Olivia didn't he? *Foggy memory is foggy*

Ok, spoilers ahoy!
I thought Ramza died at the end of Tactics? Also, Delita definitely died, 'cause he stabbed himself after stabbing Olivia didn't he? *Foggy memory is foggy*

Delita was stabbed by Olivia, and then he stabbed her, but he survived the wound, cause he went on to be the great king, and Not sure if Ramza is dead or alive, if you remember when Orran and Valmafra (the one girl always with Delita when he worked for the church.) went to Alma's funeral (Ramza was know as a heretic so he couldn't have one) and after everyone left Orran saw Ramza and Alma riding on chocobo's

Ah, I forgot exactly how it happened with Delta and Olivia. As for Ramza and Alama riding, I presumed that was showing how Ramza and Alma are back together in the afterlife, shown as ghosts. Might just be a "leave to the gamers' imaginations" style ending with them :)

I didn't really mind the judges in A2, however I strongly disliked the judges in Advance. I like the fact that you don't have to worry about losing characters you spent a long time building up. The rewards granted by the bonus were nice, however I think they weren't absolutely necessary. However if they made an A3, which I would be very happy if they did, I would love to see many more jobs, abilities, weapons, races, and alot more sidequests. I loved the system that they used for missions in A2 because I felt like I had a lot more freedom to take a break from the story, and do some sidequests and such for awhile. It kept the game fresh and less tedious, and I would like to see more strategy rpgs use systems similar to it.

I loved FFTA2. It's one of my favourite FF games. Same goes for the original FFT, though as far as gameplay mechanics I think I'm starting to enjoy the FFTA system more than plain ol' FFT. Too easy to break the game by leveling the crap out of your characters using Tailwind and Focus over and over.

I've seen way too much hate directed at the Seeq and for the life of me I can't understand in the least. It seems to me they would be perfectly acceptable if it weren't for not having enough classes and not having any proper high-tier abilities. But if one merely fixes them from a mechanical perspective, they would be fine.
That surprises me; I've never much read up on the subject, but I thought the Seeq were great as a race. Only thing that bothered me was their lack of availability from the start, which I'm sure was done because they don't have as many job offerings.

There are also a number of races that could be added to the game-- the Revgaji (should be from the start), the Aegyl (almost certainly a late-game addition) and the Gariff are chief amongst them, but also it would seem reasonable to allow Baknamy or Urutan to be able to equip weapons and armor and somehow get added to your clan then learn a decent set of various abilities even if they only have one "class"--

I'm all for this, though if they maintain the old races I don't know if there's much point including the Aegyl, as the Gria are more or less identical gameplay-wise, as far as I can tell. (I always thought it was dumb that they didn't just use the Aegyl in the first place, rather than inventing a whole new race.)

Back