FF Music NieR Gestalt & Replicant Soundtracks

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
I know I can't be the only one that thinks that NieR had some of the greatest fucking video game music made in the last 15 years. :mokken:

Needless to say, even if you don't like the game, odds are you'll love the music. In a short amount of time, the OST has boosted up to the top 5 most played in my Winamp tunes. It is, by far, my favorite soundtrack from a video game of all time. Which wasn't easy, because Chrono Cross had been sitting up there for fucking years.

So, what did you guys think of the OST? Any favorite tracks? Good points? Bad points? Discuss here. :mokken:

You are definetely not alone in thinking this. This is easily the greatest video game soundtrack made EVER, and it's going to be difficult for anything in the future to top. Every OST I hear now is going to be measured against this, and probably found lacking. I've always been extremely fond of vocal tracks in video games, but NieR takes it to a whole different level. I mean, how often do you hear tribal-esque vocals in video games? The variety of vocals makes this something special. That most of the songs don't have identifiable lyrics helps, as well - it'd definetely ruin the effect in some of the tracks.

Favourite tracks? Blu Bird (I fell in love with this the second I heard it on the main site), Cold Steel Coffin (this creeped me out...that it's a town theme is astonishing as well, it could easily be a boss theme), Song of Ancients - Fate (mostly because of when it plays and because, like Hollow Dreams, it has both Popola and Devola singing in it), Ashes of Dreams - New (such a sad song to end the game with...plus it has identifiable lyrics, making it somewhat unique) and Snow in Summer (this is eerie, as well...the perfect song for a post-apocalyptic world, and a good start to the game) are my favourites...although I love every song on this OST.

The acappella version of The Wretched Automatons is one of my favourites, as well. It sounds even more incredible without the accompanying instruments. I'm quite fond of the Hansel Und Gretel Blu Bird remix. I've also heard some rips on Youtube - The Incomplete Stone sounds much better as just a vocal track, and the version of Shadowlord that plays
when you're fighting Grimoire Noir
is pretty good.

I can't think of anything bad to say about this soundtrack, other than that there isn't enough of it, and that it's doubtful anything that follows it will ever be able to measure up to it...

Back