Guardian Angels

Smiley

Do me a favour, Keep smiling. I-it makes me happy
Veteran
Gil
This is something I find particularly interesting because its hardly ever talked about.

Being strictly brought up as a Christian, I have always been taught that a 'Guardian Angel' is with us from the time we're born, till the time we die. This angel protected us from the evils of the world, specifically temptation. Your guardian angel is your link with god, no matter what. Though your guardian angel is invisible, your faith and belief in them strengthens with prayer and weakens with sin.
^My belief, right here =)

In cartoons, when a character is faced with a tough decision, there appears to be an angel on one of their shoulders and a devil on the other. I always considered the angel to be your guardian angel.

Do you believe in guardian angels? why/why not?

This is obviously open to anyone of any religion, because I would love to hear your opinions on this =) If you think my belief is wrong, I don't mind. Just explain why.

That is all =)

If we're talking angels watching down on people from heaven, I'd say it's plausible.

If we're talking angels that just follow you around all the time to try to protect you, I'm not sure.

I'd like to think that everyone has a guardian angel or angels, but it's one of those things I'll probably never know in this lifetime.

In the Bible, the only two angels that are revealed by name are Michael and Gabriel. Although there's more because God said He has an angel for every purpose, I don't believe there is one for each specific person. The lowest rank of angels, well below the Seraphim, are allegedly the only ones that relay between man and God. To say everyone has their own angel is to say that God makes angels everyday.. and I think God is done making things for the time being.
When things go wrong, it is because angels are overwhelmed by demons. And this is how demonic possession occurs. On account of the world population growing, the angels are struggling even more and hence possessions happen more today than anytime in history. Allegedly, anyways.
Pretty much, there is a war going on I believe, if these beings exist, but revelation will not occur until God gives the go.

It seems a little egocentric to think that powerful beings would be created with the sole purpose of watching out for individuals. My disbelief in God obviously leads to my disbelief in Guardian Angels, but I've always found angels an interesting topic (going with the some of the older descriptions a lot of angels come across as downright creepy, and a few are genuine high-octane nightmare fuel). Even God aside, too many terrible things happen too arbitrarily to very good people for me to buy into there being protective forces watching out for each individual.

But rather than just rain on the parade, I'll throw in an interesting alternative. What if there's no external guardian angel? What if there is something watching out for you, but it's just an extension of your own being? Seems like it would make sense, still fit your definition (watches out for you, link to god) and it's a little less self important than having a custom-built protector.

I dunno about egocentric. The idea of guardian angels has always been a powerful concept, especially with the thought that 1/3 of them are trying to kill you everyday. If God meant for Himself to be the personal protector against evil, He wouldn't have needed angels for anything.
Besides, every branch of God including Christians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, etc. share a common concept of angels. It kinda just goes with the general belief.

Last edited:
(Since you were raised Christian, I'll bring that up. I know they exist in other religions, but like how you're describing them. Though there is a similar belief in Kirama Katibin (Angels who record how much good and bad you do)

Jesus Christ said children had Guardian Angels. Here is the verse from Matthew:

Matthew 18
10 “Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.”
Children have Guardian Angels until they reach the age of accountability. The Angels keep them safe and protected.

There is a verse indicating that Adult Christians have them as well:

Hebrews 1
14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?
There's even a Catholic prayer about one person's Guardian Angel:

Angel of God, my guardian dearto whom God's love commits me here.Ever this day/night be at my sideto light, to guard, to rule and guide.Amen.
So yes, I believe in them. Though they are there to protect the children. We as adults must stay right to God to maintain His protection. :)

I know my Guardian Angel was there when I was a child. God's angel saved me from a really ill moment. Though the Angel saved me, God commanded it. So they both have been looking out for me :)

This is an easy way to look at it:

At the top you got the Seraphim, who are the caretakers of God. They relay to the Cherubim, who personally carry out the orders from Him. Below them are the Thrones that council the angels below. This is the 'First Sphere' of the hierarchy.

Below them are Dominions, Virtues, and Powers. They guide the angels below with the council of the Thrones. Each one has their own set of duties, shown by their names. This is the second sphere.

The third sphere are the Principalities, Archangels, and lastly, Angels. Pretty much, you can think of the archangels as generals and angels as foot soldiers.

Lucifer was, of course, a Seraphim. Archangels had to protect Eden from him. Angels have to fight away the angels that followed him. It just goes hand in hand if you ask me.

I am Christian...but I do not believe in guardian angels. I believe that God has his own angels, yes. ...However I do not believe that we have them in those family members and friends that we have that are found in Heaven. I do believe that God uses people to do good works for him...and therefore others. Like when we had a car start on fire in one of our neighboring counties and there was a young boy who was stuck in it with his mom desperately trying to pull him from it. "Coincidentally" there was an off-duty fireman who lived in one of the houses where the car stopped, saw the scene, and went out to go and rescue this boy. He saved his life. He had massive burns to his face and lost an ear, but he is still alive thanks to that man. Coincidence? No. It was a miracle.

Some people so lovingly think that we have family members and etc...watching over us from Heaven. When I think of Heaven I think of a place of paradise. There is no pain, no suffering, and no sorrow. Why on Earth do you think God would place our family and friends up there to enjoy their heavenly existence ... only to indulge in our sorrows and times of hardship here on Earth? Would that really be much of a Heaven... for them having to worry and share in our pains here?

However, maybe he does allow them to see us during better times...or whatever. I don't presume to know his master plan. I just know that when I see Heaven someday, I'll probably be so happy I won't be worrying about those who I left behind. I know I'll see them again someday.

Back