How important is your reputation?

Reputation is the last thing I worry about when I'm at school or anywhere outside of home. Back in middle school, I would care about what other kids think of me all of the time, and for reasons I never understood, kids would always make up shit about me, mostly saying I have a crush on him or her or whoever (half of them I didn't know existed), and they'd always bring down my reputation - but some of the rumors have lead to physical altercation. That's how much I used to care, but right now I couldn't give two damns about what the students think. I'm somewhat the same towards family, but at the same time I want them to respect what I do/what I am. My grandpa is very well aware that I don't focus on what other people think of me, and he's called me foolish for that before. But I'd rather be foolish than be the person hated by the entire family tree, and he doesn't care about that. But I find it very hypocritical of him to say that I should worry about my reputation when he doesn't even do that himself. But yeah, I'll do or say whatever I think is good for my image, not by what anyone else thinks .

Do you like to maintain a good reputation? Or have you hit the Apathy button at this point in life?

I keep a good reputation just being who I am in my opinion.

I never think, 'Oh I better not do that in case someone finds out and thinks I'm a terrible person etc etc.'

It's the decisions I make that give me a good reputation. I make decisions to do things because I know what's best for me. Not because I care about what other people think, but in the end these decisions give me good rep anyway. Win win situation.

Also do you take the risk of hanging out with certain questionable people? I hang out around a group of heavily tatoo'd folks in Tupelo, but in Oxford if people saw me hanging around these people, they would automatically think I'm weird/druggy/etc.. whatever stereotype people hold against tatoo'd people.

I don't really let myself be around people that I know aren't the most trustworthy. I'm more afraid of the trouble I could get in by hanging with them than I care about what someone would think of me hanging with those sort of people.

I care about what I want first over what I care about what people think.

So what about you? Do like to maintain a good reputation or is this life to short to worry about that? (chivalry is dead etc..)

Having a good reputation always matters when it comes to work of course but I don't try to maintain a good rep just to satisfy other people outside of work.

If I do something that will make you think less of me then tough. I'll do what I want and I'd like to think that I always do the right things anyway. You can't please everyone, so you may as well do what you want and forget about trying to keep everyone else happy.

Having enough reputation so that people understand me instead of greatly dislike me, is enough for me. Worrying about a greater scale of reputation than that, well that's for professionals or people who don't worry that life's too short (two separate groups, in my opinion).

I don't care about my reputation, per se...I wouldn't change who I was to 'fit in'. I care about people liking who I am.

Throughout school, I didn't try to hide my personality. I loved games and drawing and people knew this. I went to a girls school, so liking games and being a vegetarian were just two of several reasons why people thought I was odd.

Had I wanted to fit in, I could have pretended to like make-up and girly magazines. I could have pretended that drooling over topless men was a fun passtime and could have pretended that shopping for clothes was THE best thing ever. I could have pretended that I wanted to drink and could have eaten meat. But I saw no point.

Kids and teens will often judge those who are different and I wasn't going to be affected by peer pressure. The fact that people didn't talk to me did affect me - it made me unhappy, I became very self conscious and I had low self-esteem - but I am proud of the fact that I didn't change who I was.

As we grew up, people in my year actually started to admit that they had misjudged me. Some apologised for having judged who they saw and not getting to know who I was. They had seen that I was different on the surface but hadn't really tried to get to know me completely. We found that we DID have a lot of things in common. We had similar values, we enjoyed reading, we enjoyed learning, we enjoyed discussing who we REALLY liked/boyfriends.

I suppose that positive experience has made me even more determined to just be myself. I believe it'll work out in the end, even if things are difficult at first.

I care and I don't. Allow me to explain.

I do care because I like to present myself as a sort of person who doesn't give off the wrong vibe when either my name is brought up or I even show my face to said people that bring my name up. I would like to be perceived as a person who examplifies good taste and a good person. However, there are certain aspects of my reputation that I couldn't care less about.

There's a fact that i go by: Label yourself only to a degree, but do not let others label you to such a degrading label that you lose self-respect. Of course, that sounds like something out of a bad fortune cookie, so instead I would say that up to a point, I care about my rep. However, that is purely up to the point where I actually give a damn about what people say.

Well there it is. I care about my rep, but only up to a point. :grin:

:hmmm:

I care about my reputation to an extent.

I don't want to people to think badly of me and I don't want to get a bad reputation specially if it is for something that isn't true, like being a slut or something like that. But at the same time I don't really care so much about having a really good reputation... if that makes sense?

I'm quite content having no reputation rather than a bad one.

I don't care about reputation. I'm just being me. Whether or not people like me is up to them. I'm not trying to impress anybody, and I sure as hell am not changing for anybody. I was always very liked at all my schools because I was considered a good kid. I always had friends because they thought I was cool.

I did go out of my way to be nice to everybody, which backfired because I was taken advantage of. Now I'm just gonna be me. And I really don't care whether or not that messes with my reputation.

:)

My rep is important because I really need a job at this point... Other than that I really don't care... I mean, what happens, happens. Tomorrow is a new day. I've told people things and it really only makes me a better person for having said it.

My reputation is important to me because it allows me to demonstrate what type of a person I could be or can become. Reputation is nearly a tool that can be used for multiple purposes. For example: You can gain reputation on a job, at school, anywhere that revolves people around you. There are two types of reputation, the positive reputation and the negative reputation. The positive reputation is when you express yourself or do something in a positive way.

As for the negative reputation is when you express yourself in a negative way or by doing something incorrectly. It is important to maintain your reputation positively to gain more of it as you progress in your career. It will lead you to many opportunities depending on the level of reputation that you are at. Keep in mind that you can receive both positive and negative reputation depending on your performance. That is one of the reasons why some people hate about reputation.

Because it can go both ways and is not controllable.

Back