Last game you finished?

The last game I can recall finishing was Bioshock Infinite last month, which I kinda had mixed feelings about. I definitely found it interesting and the characters and environments were very memorable. But, and this is always an issue I seem to have with first person shooters, I started to get kinda bored of playing it after about the fourth hour. I was intrigued enough to keep going. However, there was part of me that just wanted to get the game done and over with. I don't know why that always seems to happen with entries in that genre but it just happens. But I can honestly say that I certainly get why people were fond of it.

Finally! I've completed Watch Dogs, a game I would happily and succinctly describe as one of the most awkward and padded out experiences I've seen marketed as interactive entertainment worth the full moola.

All the standard Ubisoft fare is present and correct. Certain buildings that you have to infiltrate and grasp under your control. Tail sequences compounded by that Assassin's Creed problem of counting down a 20-second timer to mission failure simply because the person you are pursuing is just out of view even though they're perhaps only around the corner. Uninspired sidequests just to fill out the game's map with a diarrhoea's worth of mission icons to fill up around 30 hours of your spare time.

I wager Ubisoft intends to build Watch Dogs into a franchise. All the lore is there and it is frighteningly believable. We are already a generation where rapidly evolving technology plays an astounding part in our lives, shaping us and even managing to take control of some of us. Watch Dogs could have been a strong critique of our reliance and contentment towards over-convenience. We seek easy efficiency and we rarely stop to properly contemplate the consequences that would entail and the incremental sacrifices we make to technological aggregation. Yet beneath the lore and the vast space to do this, Watch Dogs curiously elects to make this a try-hard tale of vigilantism, spurred completely upon by the desire for vengeance.

Aiden Pearce has lost his niece and seeks to uncover the truth behind the "Merlaut Job" that screwed him and his family over in the first place. His sister implores him to let it go; his actions would compound the dangers hoisted upon them as a family. Aiden cannot let go; he cannot discard that very life that had wrecked him, his sister and his nephew to begin with, and it matters not how he attains his ultimate goal, even though it ultimately leads to the permanent exile and separation of his family. The narrative pushes a disappointing mixed message that should be obvious to any player paying adequate attention. The writing wants Aiden to be a flawed hero, but our sympathy for his plight is quickly tested when we countenance how much of a terrible individual he is; he wantonly murders and commits acts that severely push the mantra of "the ends justify the means". His degree of selfishness is compounded when Aiden only truly stops to contemplate the implications of his actions when there is a personal, direct effect, such as when his 9-year old nephew traumatically and unintentionally witnessed him on monitor murdering an entire squad of goons at the front of a building. Aiden makes a throwaway line upon discovering this, which immediately becomes naught and leads to nothing. The end of the game then has the gall to have Aiden monologue something about being a vigilante after all - he will punish whoever is necessary. He is the self-appointed judge, jury and executioner, and the narrative displays very little effort to criticise this, because instead it seeks to build some kind of superhero origin story. It dares to take a dreadful character whose sole, selfish intentions were eclipsed by the sheer, overreaching extents of atrocities he commits throughout the game, and mould him into some kind of altruistic hero. Fuck that.

It was harsh to see, but I did like the portrayal of the game's tertiary villain: Iraq. Here's a talented young man who had belonged in the military, was honourably discharged, and found himself climbing up the ranks of a violent gang because life dealt him a poor hand. Bereft of decent opportunities and legitimate avenues to success, characters like Iraq could only find sustenance in a life governed completely by cold business, with no morals or compassion to serve as psychological safety nets. He sits on a mountain of blackmail implicating virtually everyone of power in Chicago, yet is on the payroll of a man who represents the decadent moneyed of the city: Lucky Quinn. It's a rather tragic reflection of society - the perpetual puppetry of the less well-off by those who have it all. Quinn's portrayal...it's effective enough, but the man barely wanders beyond the boundaries of typical, sinister mob boss who is unsurprisingly the man Aiden Pearce is after all along.

The rest is sadly, rather peripheral. Clara is a very decent character who I felt would have made a better protagonist, is annoyingly is killed off simply to tug at the heartstrings and provide Aiden with some boosted emotional adrenaline to hunt down his old mentor. The whole story of Maurice is annoyingly hidden in scattered voice logs as part of Ubisoft's standard collectathon in their games, but the material you can excavate truly paints the man in a particularly tragic light. He is reduced to a state of insanity at the end - a broken man who had never wanted to kill Aiden, let alone his 6-year old niece, but for the sake of his family being threatened with being sold off to human traffickers, had no choice or agency in the matter. Then there's all of Blume and ctOS itself. DedSec, committed to watching the watchdogs, is laughably peripheral that they don't matter. Criticisms of Blume are desperately weak, if there are even any. There are small little details like ctOS rigging a mayoral election using a very clever, subtle, psychological method involving the Fibonacci sequence and....that's it. ALL OF THAT IS PERIPHERAL. The game's story has no interest in any of that. It's just the Aiden Pearce revenge/rise of Batman story.

6/10. The novelty of using cameras to explore a restricted area and to blow up enemies unsuspectingly is definitely enticing enough to begin with, but as the game plods on, I simply grew impatient with each new mission, and I just wanted to shoot my way through horde after horde. It's a tremendous shame that the game adheres first and foremost to Aiden Pearce and his weak revenge story, while concealing the genuinely intriguing elements deep below the surface. Clara, Bellwether, the Fibonacci sequence, a proper critique of the dangers of technological over-convenience, the hands operating such a dangerous machine, and the follies of vigilantism. There was so much the game could have focused on instead.

Last edited:
The last game that I had finished was Final Fantasy X2 Remastered
I haven't played the game in years, so it was refreshing to be able to go through the game and replay it again. I'd say that it was worth buying for X and X2 HD on the PS3.. the added content was alright, with the capture, though I never really used it. My main mission for playing Final Fantasy X2 was to get the 100% and the best ending seeing that I've never done that.

Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Wow, I have to congratulate Bioware on making a DECENT and damn good entry in the Dragon Age series. I honestly thought I would not like Inquisition simply because the story tore up after the middle of II, and became so stupid.

Anyway, let me get to the pros and cons of this game. I rate it 8/10 and that is being generous. It easily could have been a 10 if they added much more closure.

Pros

- Game feels very rewarding when you make decisions. It encourages you to choose wisely or pay the consequences.
- The game has an interesting story, and the sith lord bullshit from Star wars (Dragon Age II) is not really present.
- Amazing lore and many codexes for said lore.
- Sera. Seriously, Sera's banter is AMAZING. She is just so funny and succeeds at pretty much pissing everyone off. She only likes females though so if you want to get with her, you need to make a female on purpose (like me) I really do not get the hate for her, but that is another topic all in itself.
- The villain is not a cheap cop out and is actually interesting at times.
- The combat, while pretty much the same can be interesting at times.
- If you like Romance, DA: I takes it to a whole new level, unlike DA II which had characters engaging in sexual acts with clothes on.
- You are the fucking Inquisitor! You COMMAND EVERYTHING and own a castle. What is not to like about that?
-Punching Solas in the face is so worth it because he is an idiot.
- Cassandra. A perfectly likeable character, one who is warrior like, and not lovey dovey.
- Encourages multiple playthroughs. I took a human mage, but there is a lot more dialogue if I take an elf (which I will do on my next run).
- Game is incredibly funny and nothing beats getting drunk with your companions.
-Romancing characters makes extremely funny banter appear during battle.
-Some characters tease each other. Sera and Vivienne have a Britain vs France thing going on which is HILARIOUS.
- You really feel like you own everything in the game, and it is just so awesome.

Cons

-Very glitchy at times. I was stuck and the game crashed on me a few times.
- No representation of Hawke (your DA II character) after her plotpoint is done.
-Cannot replicate your DA II character, and you are forced to try to make her/him from scratch
-Cole. Seriously, this person really is a useless character and he has such a boring story. I am not even sure why he is a companion.
- Everything you do in the end feels terrible because the ending is so bland.
- Making Key decisions will not always change the story. Advisors have no approval points, and siding with them is useless unless you want additional talk.
- MOUNTAIN HIKING
- Still images in the ending.
-Cliffhanger ending that suggests DLC.
- Not much towns, and mostly every area is just an expanse.
-Red Lyrium and Templars vs Mages is still part of the story, sadly.
-Doesn't flow correctly. You can have one big mission and then are forced to do small missions before another big mission.
- The party mission is very frustrating and interesting. Unfortunately, you are so limited to what you do in this mission, and are kicked out of the party if you be too much of a smartarse.
- Josephine's romance is weird and almost not there. If you chose to romance her, all you get is a hug and some snuggling + a dance. She is very professional and really does not love you unless you do.
- Knight Enchanter is OVERPOWERED. I solo'd the last boss using it. It just makes the game so unfair.
- Need to go on a website to import your DA history to Inquisition. Annoying, and sometimes the right choices fail to appear in your game.

Those are pretty much my complaints and likes of the game. I am going to do a second run on nightmare since I have already done hard.

I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of rpg games or DA in general.

Hyrule Warriors - One of the few Wii U game I have atm that's not entirely fueled by online hijinx like Kart or Smash. Anyone that's played the Dynasty Warrior series will know what it's about but at the heart and soul of it a hack and slash game with the focus on repetitive gameplay where you go through thousands of enemies and simple objectives to clear maps but the Zelda license and mass amount of fanservice on show makes up for most of the shallow gameplay to an extent. Defo a game I'd recommend for long term fans (from OoT onwards) to have at least some consideration as it is pretty fun and has a fair bit of meat to it in terms of content but it's not the deepest game of all time.

The last game I finished is Mass Effect

I fell in love with the damn game... I have to admit the side-quest were quite repetitive as far as the debris, artifacts, places..

But I loved it a lot. Even though I suck, I put at least 25 hours into the game :gasp: better than what you can play these days. I'm really excited for the second game. I just started the game and the beginning of it was already so exciting! I really don't like space all that much, but this game is a good sci-fi. I can't wait to be able to explore the other planets. :cali:

The last game I finished was Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360. It was the first FF game I have ever played in my life. I saw it in Walmart for $15 got curious about the cover art, I always like games with strong female protaganists in them and I want to at least try them. But I have to say that I enjoyed LR a lot. Now I realize LR is the 3rd FF game in the FF-XIII trilogy, I will have to go back in time to XIII and XIII-2.

Anyway I am on board with FF now.
Congrats Square Enix, you got a new fan (although you won me over with Tomb Raider last year too).

The last game I have finished is Mass Effect 2

I would say that the second game is a great improvement from the first one. It was good being able to see my old crew, and get Garrus and Tali back. I can't wait to get Liara in the third one.

I liked how this game focused more on the story than the side quests. I felt the whole time in the first game, I was doing side missions. I would say melee is more convenient as well. I also liked the upgrading of my weapons and ship instead of just buying better weapons. I felt that the conversations I'm able to have is more in-depth than that of the first game.

My favorite new character had to be Jacob for sure. I'm hoping i'll be able to see him in the third one as well.

I had put 42 hours in the second game. I felt that this game has a lot of value behind it, and it was damn worth the purchase. :cali:

I do want to bring up Jack though: Maybe someone else will agree? Doesn't she look like Miley Cyrus crossed with Britney Spears in 2007 when she shaved her head? :wacky:

britney_spears_head_shaved.jpg
+
1149.jpg
=
tumblr_m02dnpcn7x1qgwjmxo1_500.gif

I called her Miley the whole game. :lew:

Too bad she wasn't loyal :hmmm: she died in the ending for me.

Last edited:
The Wolf Among Us

Anyone familiar with the recent telltale games ( the walking dead ) Will know what to expect in terms of gameplay from the Wolf among us. I use the term gameplay loosely as it really is more of an interactive story with enough elements to be considered a game. I have to admit i wasnt 'in the know' about the game before buying it i simply heard it was good but i had no idea it was about fairytale characters living in NYC. That would likely have put me off buying it for a while but colour me surprised as it really worked. I get a kick from seeing such well known characters such as Belle from Beauty and the beast working in Brothels to make ends meet.

The biggest advantage it has over the walking dead imo is the action scenes. Thers a lot of fights and although theyre dead simple theyre pretty exciting. Though its silly that you can use any shoulder button for any of the button prompts. For example when it prompts you to press l2 or l1 it makes no difference, r1 will work. I think it kills a bit of the tension in the fight scenes as it makes them too easy but meh theyre still fun. Another pro is that you can make your character a really brutal and agressive person ( he is the big bad wolf afterall ) or a man who fights with his words. Its definitely more fun being the aggressor but the game definitely tries to ward you down the path of non violence. Something that irked me a little though it makes sense i guess cuz no one likes a bastard. You didnt have that option in the walking dead with lee or clem.

A shite post short its a good story thats a lot of fun to see unfold. Youl beat it in 5-6 hours so i wouldnt pay too much for it if your considering picking it up. I think the current £15 asking price is almost fair but a tenner is what its worth imo.
If you loved the walking dead and want something similar this is most definitely for you. Personally i prefer telltale games in the style of Tales of monkey island and back to the future but the worlds your haggis.
Oh yeah and its a piss easy platinum if your a trophy whoor.
@Ed Elric she well looks like mental britney :gasp:

I last beat Asuras wrath, pokemon pearl ruby, and platinum, and resident evil 2 and 3.

Oh oh oh, what do you think of Asura's Wrath? I saw trailers and everything but never got around to actually buying it for myself.

The last game I finished was probably Omega Ruby. I think something is lost in the 3D pokemon games. The 2D ones just had more charm, y'know? I also finished up FF7 which for some reason I didn't like the story as much this time around. I think it's because I had to pay more attention to it all for the LP and the lifestream stuff really bored me to tears when I couldn't just skip through the text :lew:.

I haven't been gaming quite as much lately...back to Suikoden 2! :sir:

Oh oh oh, what do you think of Asura's Wrath? I saw trailers and everything but never got around to actually buying it for myself.

The last game I finished was probably Omega Ruby. I think something is lost in the 3D pokemon games. The 2D ones just had more charm, y'know? I also finished up FF7 which for some reason I didn't like the story as much this time around. I think it's because I had to pay more attention to it all for the LP and the lifestream stuff really bored me to tears when I couldn't just skip through the text :lew:.

What??? How the heck ddi you get suikoden 2? I thought asura's wrath was amazing. A bit challenging but mainly too easy on easy mode didn't die not once. You are a God and your fellow Gods banish you and you must fight them and the evil invaders called the Gouka or something like that. Excellent game indeed.

What??? How the heck ddi you get suikoden 2? I thought asura's wrath was amazing. A bit challenging but mainly too easy on easy mode didn't die not once. You are a God and your fellow Gods banish you and you must fight them and the evil invaders called the Gouka or something like that. Excellent game indeed.

Ahhhh, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll probably pick it up sometime. Maybe it'll come to Plus?

I got Suikoden 2 from PSN. $10 :).

-------------------------------------------------

Just yesterday, I beat Suikoden 2 and it's a pretty damn great game. A few little annoyances (mostly the strategic battles being so slow and dull) but I loved it overall :).

Tales of Hearts R for the PS VIta.

The game was so lovey dovey, hero saves chick and then saves world. A whole lot of cliches. It was a great game, nonetheless, and I consider it to be one the better games in the Tales of series. I liked the fast paced battles and the translation was pretty spot on. Some reviewers said that the translation wasn't that good, but I saw no issues. Definitely one of the golden games for the otherwise barren Vita. :awesome:

Twisted metal 3 for ps1 and mortal Kombat for snes. I bought vampire rain and devil kings for ps2. Just thought I'dpost it here while I'm here.

I have suikoden 1 for ps1, suikoden 3 for ps2, suikoden 4 for ps2, and suikoden tactics for ps2.

Castlevania:Circle of the moon

I replayed it recently since i acquired a GBA SP awhile back, It was still as hard as i remembered it. Dragon Zombie boss fight is still the hardest of all fights in the game, dracula's second form being a very close second.

I finished Resident Evil Revelations 2 last, and I've been replaying it on the harder difficulties. It was a suprising return to form on Capcom's part, and the game actually feels like a horror title. The game is pretty fun, and it has alot of unlockables and other nice extras.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Definitely my top favourite game of all time, which finally, on the third play through, I've been able to fully complete. I started the game on Christmas Day and I expected it to take me a lot longer to 100% since I can get sidetracked so easily, particularly when horseback archery becomes a thing!

Back