Seymour as the best FF villain

I completely agree actually I'm kinda biased because he's definitely in my top three favorite characters but I just thought he was such a great villian and character in general there's so many dimensions to him and it all makes perfect sense the nihilism and messianic complex his childhood was tragic and cruel he basically never had a father he was rejected by everyone for being a mixed breed he was banished to live in exile then the one person who stayed with him and loved him his mom sacrifices herself to become anima for him to use against sin, so his views are actually completely understandable he grew up in isolation which all his experiences with the people of spira and just life in general where negative then the isolation for so many years reinforced and essentially manifested those views so of course he didn't want to destroy sin when that's the reason his mother had to die so he basically tried to do the opposite become sin the whole time genuinely believing the death of spira will also culminate into its salvation, long story short you can see how his mental well being and views on life could get so skewed, I also really liked his themes they were so eeire and just amazing compositions of music imo, really havnt even touched upon all the cruel deceptive and evil things he did over the course of the game or his infatuation with yuna who in a way was a means to an end but he also really did care for her, so idk I just think he was a great interesting and complex character and definitely top 3 if not the greatest villian in the serious the only thing you could really argue is probably just that some of the other villians came closer to achieving their goal and were portrayed as having a lot more power than Seymour

I'd say Seymour is one of the most memorable FF villains, but maybe not for the right reasons. There were a few too many boss fights with him, and particularly annoying boss fights at that. Everything about his character was intended to make you hate him, and at that he is successful, so on the one hand I do credit his creators. I just wouldn't be able to give Seymour himself any praise, even if he is a great villain. So I don't know. Objectively, I feel he falls just short of being a truly great villain. At first he appears to be the main antagonist in FFX but then as it goes on you learn that he was basically just filler to give you an antagonist hold-over until the real deal was revealed. And at that he's not quite successful, even. Eventually he falls into the background, only being important when he shows up out of nowhere to give you yet another boss fight or annoy you by otherwise throwing kinks in the plot. During this time he's far more talk than action, so there's not a lot of weight to his philosophies. When the talk works it is compelling for a villain, but it does fall flat at times.

All that being said, there are actually several FF villains that suffer from some of the same problems. I think in Seymour's case it just feels worse because as a character he's so eminently hate-able :lew: But as I said, that in itself might make him the best villain, depending on how you look at it.

Back