Seymour as the best FF villain

Nah he isnt he is just crazy nuts but never to the level of Kefka. A good villain is one that you hate and i never hated Seymour he was annoying.

Exdeath: He killed Galuf and manipulated Lenna, i hate him
Kefka: He killed Leo, not bad.
Sephiroth: He killed Aerith, i hate him
Ultimecia: Nothing too bad to consider her a villain, I couldnt careless.
Kuja: He did some bad deeds but i cant take him seriously with that outfit.
Seymour: He didnt do anything worth remember he just was nutcase but not hateable.
Vayne: What exactly he did? He is even a villain?

A villain can kill a lot of people but is when the villain kill a character that is memorable.

Seymour is an awful villain, as gaudy as his hairstyle and as sickening as his open kimono. Its not only his horrible character design, its his stock FF plan of destroying everything to create some twisted form of peace. Makes no sense.
long live Kefka

Name one other FF villain who has had the idea of destroying the world to save it.

Protip: there isn't one.

Calling his plan "StocK FF" is a total falsehood.

If you wanna go there.. Outside the final fantasy series there are tons of villains who want to destroy the world to "save". Off the top of my head, Krelian from xenogears. Ultimecia wanted to return the world to nothingness for similar reasons I suppose. Ghaleon from lunar silver star story sort of.

Ultimecia wanted to do Time Kompression to save her own worthless life and even then that's only implied in one sentence of dialogue.

Also Seymour is nothing like Krelian. He's Grahf.
GRAHF
"You still don't understand... even after your contact with the Existence? I came to understand after my contact with the Existence that, even if Deus was destroyed...... as long as humans still inhabit this land, Miang... Elhaym, will be born time and again. Then all living things may as well perish along with Deus itself. That's the only path to freedom. The path to release us from the eternal cycles of life, the tragedies of history and the spell of fate!"

Also three examples is not "a ton".

And let's say you had a ton of examples.

Do you know what I could get a ton of examples of as well? A villain who wants to kill everyone for no reason. (Kefka, Exdeath), a villain who wants to rule the world (The Emperor, Kuja, several others) and the list goes on and on.

Final Fantasy did not originate anything whatsoever. Everything it has ever done was done dozens if not hundreds of times before and several of those instances were probably better-written too.

Seymour isn't unique and neither is any other FF villain. The only question is if they are enjoyable or well-written.

Well.. True that Grahf also shares the same motivation but so does Krelian. He wanted to return everything to the wave dimension originally. He wanted to save mankind from its corrupted state.

Yes but the methods and overall result are kinda different. The Wave Dimension the Existence is from has no concept of individuality. Krelian's idea was to take all of humanity thee because then our meager differences like race and religious views would no longer matter. We'd all be one and thus there'd be no more suffering.

Grahf is the one who had the same ideas as Seymour in that he thought life was so cruel that the best thing to do was to kill everyone. It's euthanasia on a massive scale.

Krelian was mere suggesting an alternate way of living if you get what I mean.

Really, I just liked Grahf a lot while I didn't like Krelian. XD I don't mean to be so nitpicky.

Hahahaha Seymour will forever remain a personal favourite of mine and my brother's. That guy is fucking hilarious. Hilarious hair, hilarious clothes, hilarious views of death.

"Allow Kimahri to die and release him from his suffering."

HAHA! Excellent. Just excellent.

I feel like he's a improvement of Sephiroth. He goes bad because how close he was towards his Mum and a event that his Mum caused. Though unlike Sephiroth he actually has a personality. :mokken:

But best Villain ? Nah I've give that award to either Garland, Kefka or Paramecia. Though Kuja will forever be my fave.:cali:

I would say Seymour is the second best FF villain, after Vayne Solidor, who has much more character depth than he does. Seymour has a villain's presence, though: a permanently smug character design, a wonderfully cultured and soft-spoken voice - probably the only good voice in FFX, come to think of it - and the tenacity of a cockroach in his continually stubborn refusal to just DIE and leave us alone. Seymour's constant returning from the grave is what made him a successful villain, to me: death was no boundary at all to his ambitions, he just kept on coming back to stick the middle finger up at the party. He made for an excellent antagonistic presence throughout the game, and had an interesting nihilistic messianic complex. But Vayne is still better.

By far, he was not the best villain. He was charismatic, sometimes charming of course. His evil bled through his words like hot caramel on a cold sundae. Nobody can deny that, he could melt stone.

Unfortunately for him, there is a very good technical reason for this. He was the first voice acted villain in the FF series. With that, comes a certain amount of elevation. His character was very much portrayed through his voice acting (which was very well done, make no mistake.)

Personally, I believe that if he wasn’t given the semi-English accent, he would not have succeeded as a villain. That alone, with some (I hate to say it) good scripting pushed him far as a man who should not and will not be trusted.

I will admit however, he is the best villain to be voiced. Yes, this includes Sephiroth from Advent Children (seriously, I hated that voice, and all the others!!!) But, this does not and must not distinguish him from the non-voiced FF baddies.

When all is said and done, he barely achieved anything in the grand scheme of the story. His character appeared more as a progressive piece to the story, rather than the protagonist. Let’s face it; he barely stumbled through the third quarter of the story. As a villain, he should have had a bigger impact in the world around him, rather than a man with a vision.

With that in mind, there is almost a scale to the impact he has on both the story and the world in which it is set. I imagine many of you would hate this reference, but I am throwing it out anyway. He is the Rufus from FFVII to the Sephiroth (played in FFX by Sin, Tidus’ father, Unalisca, being “Jenova” for want of a better term.) That is not the ground work of a good villain ladies and gentlemen.

A Villain should be someone, not only with the character of Seymour, he (or she) should also have the ability to make so much more of themselves. By that, I mean to be not only a side story. Please, don’t get me wrong, Seymour certainty rocked FFX, but his ambitions and impact left me (personal opinion) disappointed.

Of course, I imagine you are wondering, if Seymour didn’t cut the cheese, who did? A good question, by all accounts. By no specific order, I shall answer, as well as give flaws to these baddies (it’s only fair!)

Sephiroth, we all know him. I imagine many here love him (as much as you can a villain.) He made his goal almost complete, he had reputation, stories and background. These points made him an opponent to fear, he was not a man to trifle with. His mastery of material and the lifestream was one of the focal points of the FFVII story. His downfall was that he did not interact an awful lot with the characters. That said, he did interact a lot with the world around him.

Kefka, do I need to say more? He was the grand villain in the FF series. I imagine many of you are thinking “well, you have an FFVI avatar, you’re a fan girl!” Only, I am not, that is not my fave FF in the series. I picked it because she is the only main character (by main, I mean headset of the story) who is female and has a decent backstory (I’m looking at you, Lightning!)
Let’s be fair now, Kefka was the only villain who actually achieved his goals. Not only that, but he achieved them in style, a style of which will always leave a creepy, but loathing aftertaste. I said I would outline each examples shortcomings, but seeing as Kefkas only shortcoming is that he wasn’t dragged kicking and screaming to the age of 3D and voice, I do feel that I have robbed you of this moment, I apologise. To place a band aid to this wound, I would like to add the following; I would have given him either Seymour’s voice, or Gary Oldman.

Lastly, Kuja. Let’s face it; he’s not exactly a million miles away from Seymour. He has fantastic hair, a stylish outfit and we all imagine him with a British accent ( I personally imagine him voiced by John Rhys Meyers, amusing as I also thing Steiner sounds similar to John Rhys Davies, in his Sliders days.)
His impact was a big shift on the driving force of the story. Not only that, but it pulled the characters left right and centre to deal with their own personal issues. I’ll relent on this, when I say his main weakness was that he took a nose dive towards the end. That said, he was not only the pull of the story (Seymour) but the central theme for a lot of the backstory of the main characters, something Seymour failed to provide.

Then, we have Rufus of Shinra, the man I compared to Seymour earlier on in this article. Yes, he proved a worthy opponent when given the chance to fight him (I’ll give you that Seymour gives more in the way of combat), but he is, after all, a story puller. Something that many other villains have given, along with a lot more.

I’ll leave you with that, ladies and gentlemen. Some of you may be throwing roses of course, others may be throwing fists. Whichever you may be, it is entirely your interpretation of the matter, I cannot and will not change that for you, it is yours to keep.
I shall however, give what I can, this small token of advice. Play as many FF as you can, screw graphics and sound quality, live for the story. Let’s face it, star wars has rubbish effects, but we enjoy the story as is, why not establish the same ethos for gaming? I’m not saying that you should rush out and play the “top dog” of the FF series (apparently, 7), but play them all, make up your own mind. Is voice characterisation really the be all and end all of a character? Or, can you determine character from sound, with your own connections with the words and acts delivered by the devious characters many have lived and grown up with?

xXx

Last edited:
Seymour was great, best FF villain though? Maybe. My personal favorite is Kuja and I would certainly rank Kefka and ExDeath over Seymour. Seymour had potential but since Sin was already set up as the final boss I don't think they could have done much else with him. I liked him though, his voice actor was amazing and I remember struggling on each of his boss battles in my first playthrough.

I would say Seymour is the second best FF villain, after Vayne Solidor, who has much more character depth than he does. Seymour has a villain's presence, though: a permanently smug character design, a wonderfully cultured and soft-spoken voice - probably the only good voice in FFX, come to think of it - and the tenacity of a cockroach in his continually stubborn refusal to just DIE and leave us alone. Seymour's constant returning from the grave is what made him a successful villain, to me: death was no boundary at all to his ambitions, he just kept on coming back to stick the middle finger up at the party. He made for an excellent antagonistic presence throughout the game, and had an interesting nihilistic messianic complex. But Vayne is still better.

This is a pretty wonderful description. I disagree about Vayne though. He was boring as fuck, and forgettable to me.

I do not think Seymour was the best FF Villain.
I do think he was creepy and a good Villain, definitely better than someone like Sephiroth, but still not the best.

I think someone like Kuja or Kefka were much more evil than Seymour and they did a lot worse (eg Kuja actually destroying an entire planet)

Seymour's psychopathic tendencies are dulled by his kosher intelligence, which has it's pros and cons. I say Seymour is a mix between Kefka and Kuja.

I quite liked Seymour because, in all the worlds where his villain plan would actually be insane, Spira is the one world where it actually makes perfect sense. I dare say it was a genius idea, and I suppose genius and madness aren't too far off the same line.

I won't say he was the best, but he was one of my favorites. He displays so many distasteful character traits that it's easy to get to know him in FFX and this leads to a gamer's delight when you ultimately take him down toward the end of the game.

He's a typical power hungry, terrorizing, and despicable antagonist that you build up emotion for throughout the game so he's going to have an impacting memory on this game when your through with it and moved on.

However, you put him in the same category OR argue against him being the same "Best villain" as Sephiroth, Kuja, and Kefka as well.

I do not think Seymour was the best FF Villain.
I do think he was creepy and a good Villain, definitely better than someone like Sephiroth, but still not the best.

I think someone like Kuja or Kefka were much more evil than Seymour and they did a lot worse (eg Kuja actually destroying an entire planet)

i agree with my pal dildirongero Squidward. he wasn't my favourite villain, he was good i think but ffix is my favourite and kuja's theme tune is so great. kuja was my favourite because he was a little brat.

No, Ultimecia is the best Finaru Fantaji villain, but I like Seyour as a villain.
He is odd enough and creepy enough to stand out, with his soft voice and his huge throbbing veiny head. And the fact that he doesn't wear a shirt a lot of the time even though he is not in very good shape, a bit like my neighbour in that respect.

Honestly, He is a total badass, but not as dangerous as the other villains in the FF series. He is very powerful, and he has good Charisma. And his sick intentions were pretty cool too.

Nah, I didn't find Seymour to be that of a badass Villain, maybe one reason is that because he's not the Final Boss though you'll fight him a couple of times throughout the game. Another is that he'd been overshadowed by Sin. In the game we'd seen Sin destroyed Kilika and the Crusader/Al Bhed Alliance in Mushroom Rock, not just that those 2 events has cool graphics but they are totally destructive. Seymour might have killed Kinoc and a lot of Ronsos but all of those are off screen, we'd never seen those events when they happen, we just know that they had happened. In my personal opinion, I didn't see much action on his part as a villain aside from seeing him plotting schemes and appearing as a Boss. The worst thing that I'd seen him doing as a bad guy in the game was kissing Yuna, aside from that all he did was talk, scheme his evil plans, and then appear during the boss fight and nothing more.

Back