im gay

Really I couldn't care less. :lew: Being bi myself, my friends reacted as though I'd just told them something like going to the cinema/any other mildly interesting thing. I got a few raised eyebrows and a couple of questions, but that was it.

I sometimes get the piss taken out of me by friends, yeah, but that really shows me how comfortable they are with my sexuality. If they were trying too hard to seem understanding I'd know they were insecure. the fact that most of my friends are straight shows how little of importance it is. Argor's picture actually says it perfectly. It doesn't matter who you fuck at the end of the day. The only person that needs to be OK with it is you. :wacky:

Straight, gay, black, white, small person, red hair, hermaphrodite, amputee, mentally disabled.. You're all the effin same.

Personally I have never had someone come out "directly" to me. I mean my stance on this is fairly liberal on this subject but sexual orientation is probably the most heavily predjudiced (if that's a word) upon. What I have run across is when people assume a fella is gay, that he is automatically more feminine.

I know this is not true, because a baseball buddy of mine went a bit nutty, then at the end of his mental phase finally came out. To me, it was a bit odd that he came out, but I think honestly he's more bisexual than anything else. He's a greedy bastard, he wants it all! =P. I kid..

There is only one major problem with people's logic here. I don't see a heterosexual fella hanging with a group of gay guys alone, nor do I see the same with a girl. The reason is while your stereotypes might be liberal, if the person you like doesn't know you or even does, homosexuality openness is all too new in today's society. So the association is to automatically assume that you too are gay.

I don't have too much to worry about, because being married is as good as being gay, because all women are off limits.

Though someone did bring up an interesting subject of marriage and sex and what not. My stance is this:

1) If you marry the opposite sex knowing you are gay, and they are unaware. Shame on you.

2) If you marry the opposite sex with them know you are gay/bi, and are just wanting the benefits... whatever everyone is taking shortcuts.

3) If you never really had sexual relations with a woman or even have but feel more attracted towards the same sex.. well at this point I hope you would know what you like. So marriage at this point, well I can't blame you, and hopefully your partner is in understanding.

4) Ultimately marriage is about friendship in the end as well. No one, and I do mean no one, has a perfect marriage.

When I was in high school, it was very diverse and there were a lot of homosexuals and bi-sexual's. I mean, I try my best not to judge based on sexuality. Just because they aren't exactly straight doesn't mean they aren't good people/friends. I've only had one of my friends tell me that they were bi-sexual and well, I wasn't really surprised just because the way she acted she wasn't so shy about it and, I kinda suspected it even though she was 'playing around.' I still love her nonetheless and if it were any of my other friends, i'd accept them the way they are. =)

I don't care how you identify yourself (not meant negatively). Do what makes you happy and what you enjoy. I used to know some guys who liked guys, in undergrad. But I lost tough with them as tends to happen when everyone moves on. But I would be surprised if I never was friends with a girl who liked girls- I was probably just unaware.

If a friend came out to me, I would think 2 things. 1- good for you! 2- you think highly enough of me to confide in me and thats a compliment.

In response to the OP;

Howd you think ud feel though if a good mate orrrrr a family member came out and told you this?
I get so tired of this question.

Here is what my reaction would be:

Person: I'm gay.
Me: And... are you going to do a backflip or something? That would be awesome.

Honestly. I couldn't care what your orientation is. Gay, straight, bi -- does it really matter what you do in your most personal and intimate life? (And I don't just mean physical intimacy, romance is also very personal and intimate as well.) Does it have anything to do with the price of tea in China? No? Okay, then, well, now I know, so what? Seriously, such a huge deal is being made out of being gay or not, it's getting downright ridiculous. It's like people think it's apocalyptic or something. Like being gay makes you another species.

Though, to be quite honest, the media is milking the drama for all its worth. And it isn't helping ANYONE, just causing MORE DRAMA; the only thing the media is good for these days, it seems.

So I'm a bit weary of being told this by people on forums, campus, wherever, as if some huge reaction were expected. I'm rather glad to disappoint. In my opinion, what you do, how you live, and whoever you live and love with, isn't any of my damn business. Nor is whatever I do and whoever I live and love with is anyone else's damn business. In the great scope of things, there's far more huge and momentous things out there.

Id never disown a mate over his sexuality, theyre still the same bloke/lassie afterall they just like things a little differnt. I admit it would be weeeeird hearing it. Id probadly try too hard to make things seem normal and id end up looking like i was acting strange. But honestly it doesnt bother me when i think about it.
Nor would I, and anyone who would probably wouldn't have friends even remotely gay or bi because all those friends are probably in the same Bible Study club. ALL of them.

Now, when a friend comes 'out of the closet', would it be awkward at first? Well, yeah, why wouldn't it be? It's a very personal thing you're being told. Is it something you expect to hear? No, why should it be? Not precisely something you ever expect to hear from a friend or family member, or anyone else in that case. It just isn't. Not like there is a social taboo preventing this from being talked about casually, but considering the personal nature of the subject, it's like talking about what kind of underwear you prefer to wear in a very quiet room that's packed with people. And being told something unexpected is always -- no matter the subject -- going to cause a moment of setback and then a shrug, 'okay', and back to the usual routine. Being gay gets no special treatment in this regard.

The awkwardness comes from the person being told this, thinking, "well, what should I do now?" The only real answer is nothing. Just continue on. But the fact you're being told this means a reaction is clearly expected, so what reaction would be appropriate? That's where the awkward part comes in -- uncertainty of what to do next. The topic is so sensitive, it's ridiculous. Like trying to play hopscotch in a minefield. Unlike the underwear example above, you can't exactly start trading pros and cons of the subject. You can explain why you like this underwear instead of that underwear. What are you going to say about your orientation? "I'm not"? Doesn't quite feel the same, does it?

So, being uncertain and wary right after hearing this from a someone who is close to you -- be it friend or relative -- is perfectly understandable. After a long while, I've finally made the typical response that I explained in the first quote. The best reaction is, in the simplest form, no reaction at all. But it takes a while to actually realize that. :\

Personally, I'd like to put a funny and unexpected spin on it, myself. ^_^ For example, if a friend of mine (let's say a girl) were to say to me one day, "I like women" I'd be ecstatic. This is perfect! We can go clubbing or something and she can flirt with the all the girls and I can flirt with all the guys to myself! :dave: Neither of us encroaching on the other's fishing waters! A perfect strategy! And if it were a guy that said this to me, well, just as good! He gets all the gay guys to himself and I get all the straight guys to myself. Divide and conquer! I get no bad 'fish', he gets no bad 'fish', everyone's happy! The great part is, when you think about it, all of it is true. Which makes it even better! :wacky:

Many of my friends are gay, and they're some of the coolest people I know. Honestly it doesn't matter what you are to me. I follow the motto if you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. I'm not gonna be mean or anything because of that. I have alot of respect for gay people. They must have to deal with alot of BS from other people.

While I myself am not gay, I certainly don't mind being around gay people.

Family is the same. I really don't care whether they are or not. They're still the same person they always have been.

It would be like

Person : .... I'm Gay

Me :...... And ?

Person : You're not offended or shocked by this or anything ?

Me : Nupe.

Holy necroposts, Batman!

I'd be rather indifferent to the whole thing. I mean, especially if this was someone I was close friends with for years, I wouldn't go being any different towards them just because he/she turns out to be gay. I'd still be there and support them like I would any other friend. Although, I have known people to suddenly "out that they're gay" simply to get attention, or to use it as an excuse to start groping women and being all like "Oh, it doesn't mean anything because I'm GAY!" They're the type that I feel like smacking, incredibly hard, in the face. -_- Because that's just disgusting.

But if they're genuine about it, then as far as I'm concerned, they're still the exact same person that I've been friends with for so many years.

One of the most remarkable people I know is bi-sexual. Well, he has an ex-wife and kids, but professes in being gay because quote "Women are too damn difficult" LOL.

I was pretty much homeless for a about a year- I was living from A to B, working random jobs, floating around, etc., and he made things a lot better for me. The thing is, he didn't owe me anything, he just did because he's a good man. He helped me lay some roots and keep on on keeping on. There has been nothing weird about him as a friend just because of his lifestyle.

I have another friend whom I've known for ten years now who just recently came out and said he was bi-sexual. The thing is, I and a few other people have always had a suspicion, like all the way back to high school even, though never enough to be able to declare it. So it wasn't surprising to hear him come out with it.
The irony is that I think the only person that feels weird about it is him. Now when he does something nice, he feels the need to be all super bro-like, I guess because he doesn't want to make it seem like he's attracted to his buddies lol.

I wouldn't care if my friends came out and told me they were gay. Like... I honestly couldn't care less :wacky: but one thing that does kinda bother me is lately EVERYONE is bi-sexual...if someone comes out to me as bi-sexual i kinda don't really believe them hahaha I dunno, I think it's because I am starting to get the impression that being bi-sexual is the 'In thing' right now and every man, woman and their dog are coming out as Bi.

Though I wouldn't hate them if they did, I'd just be kinda like thinking :ahmed: Are you really bi or are you just saying you are :ahmed:

Wasn't it all those emo types who are like "I'm bi curious"? I mean, come on... :oy: And then their emo counterparts are like "That is so hot! Let's date!" And there is never a time when you see them dating someone of the same gender. Bunch of weirdos. :mokken:

I've never had a friend or family member tell me personally that they're gay. I do have friends and family members that are gay though. I support them 100%, and I'd do the same if a friend or family member tried to seek me out for the purpose of telling me. Who cares if somebody likes the same sex? Does it really matter? I think its bullshit people disown their own friends and family just because they're gay. Absolutely awful.
Time to grow up and get passed hate. It's 2015, people.

Howd you think ud feel though if a good mate orrrrr a family member came out and told you this?

I would be grateful that they had enough trust to share that with me. Especially when we live in a world where people are scared to do such things because of the potential repercussions. But honestly, I really don't care if a person is straight or gay or bi or whatever else there might be. Someone else's sexuality has no bearing on me and we should all be free to make our own decisions without judgement.

All I care about is someone's personality and how they choose to act towards others.

Personally, I like girls and guys (and technically people who identify as other things too, but that's a complicated subject so let's not get into it) and I never felt the need to come out. Everyone knows though. I've dated who I wanted to and made no secret of it because I shouldn't have to. Homosexuality is still sort of frowned upon here though, so whenever someone comes out to me (whether we're close or not; I have had practical strangers come out to me before because they were in awe of my openness), I do my best to be supportive and reassuring. Usually I'm like, "Hey cool. Let me know if anyone gives you any trouble." It only gets discussed further if the person in question wants to discuss it further.

TBH I really don't understand what's so "disturbing" or "unnatural" or "gross" about being LGBT in any way. I have no respect for people who are weirded out or worse by the fact I don't discriminate on potential partners because of their gender.

Personally, I prefer women, but if someone chose to share such an intimate aspect of their lives with me, whoever it is, I would respect them for having the courage to do so and would support them.

Back