Which game?

Hilda Garde III

Gil
I have never had a chance to play any of the Tactics games, but they do sound great and i love the battle style.

I need advice.

Which one should i play first?
I'm more about story/characters/music than gameplay, which do you think is the best and why?

I've only played one, the very first one for the PS1, and I think to start off you may want to begin with that one (its also downloadable in the PSN store on the PSP). One thing I definitely enjoyed about the game was the battle system. Ignoring the main character and the guests that come into the party now and then, you get to make up your own team players and assign them different jobs and what not. The ones I make I always base off my friends and their jobs by their personality and ego, but of course if you do play the game you can personalize them anyway you want to. The storyline was very good around the beginning, but once you reach the end of the middle of it, it actually gets even better. I remember getting stuck at one time around that point and getting even more hooked once I got passed the part. But yes, I recommend the first of the series. I think you'll get a clearer understanding of the other Tactics games if you start off with this one.

Edit: Wait. . .do you mean FFTactics games or the tactic like play in FFXII? (just totally fail posted.)

Last edited:
I'm slighty confused, but to hell with it.
I'm going to assume you're talking about FFTactics, and possibly Tactics Advance and A2 as well.

If you're more into storyline than gameplay, I'd definitely go for Tactics. (The PSP version is subtitled "The War of the Lions".)
Tactics is very political and has deep and complex moral dilemmas in parts of the game, but it plays like a BITCH.
Maybe I just wasn't very good at it, I dunno, but I found the battle system in Tactics to be pretty hard, and it got harder and harder the more I played through the game.
However, the story and the characters really are very interesting, and a treat to watch develop. If you don't mind difficult/slightly unbalanced gameplay, this is the one for you.

As for the 'Advance' games...well, aside from a slight link in the Prologue/Epilogue, the two are virtually unrelated.
The first Tactics Advance game (for GBA) was great. I loved playing it, I found the controls very user-friendly and intuitive, the story was alright (not great) and the game just had an undeniable charm. I couldn't help but love most of the characters - but in a different way from in Tactics.

However, Tactics A2, IMO, eclipses the first Tactics Advance in every way.
Combat is more balanced, more fun, and even more intuitive, the characters are even more vibrant and interesting (plus, there are late-game cameos from XII), the storyline was a vast improvement over TA, and numerous other tweaks and additions meant that it felt like a whole new game - and it was.

To summarise, I personally felt that Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift was superior in terms of how fun it was to play, hands down.
However, something about the maturity and depth of Tactics, coupled with a plethora of interesting and morally ambiguous characters, means that this is the definitive Ivalice game in terms of story development, and if you don't mind more challenging gameplay and a steeper learning curve, then I'd recommend this game instead.

Yeah, I noticed this was in the Final Fantasy XII section, so that's why I got so confused all of the sudden. Just a misplacement error I see, but glad I could help~

(its also downloadable in the PSN store on the PSP)
I just wanted to add, that you can also download it for the PS3 (I think it cost me $9.99) and is well worth it. The PSP version has much better polish obviously and vastly improved translation. Technically it's a much better game (and has a couple of new classes and Balthier in it). I, however am really enjoying the original, the dated graphics add a little nostalgia and the (sometimes dreadful) translation actually adds a little spice to the experience.

While the Gameboy Advance (FFTA) and Nintendo DS (FFTA2) are pretty good (I wish my friend hadn't stolen them and then sold them...): ), I think for the experience of what started it all you need to play the original FFT first. FFT: War of the Lions is a good updated version of the original, so I'd recommend that.

Unless you want to go old school and play the PS1 version. Either one is good.

Back