Barnes & Noble and the Like

Warbsywoo

Hellodia.
Veteran
Gil
Once you step in to a booksore [like the aforementioned Barnes & Noble], what kinds of books do you make a beeline towards?

Personally, I make a beeline for the design/home improvement books in the very back. My interest has never been any higher for it and the bookstore usually has a ton of books on the subject. I usually check out the magazines [mostly the gaming/travel/photoshop ones], then the humor section, where there's always something that you'd like to purchase. I frequent the history and the language sections of it too. :hmmm:

Needless to say, I always walk out of bookstores with a bunch of books in hand, meaning I spend about $50 everytime I go there without fail. :(

I usually head for the Bargain Books section first just to see if they have anything worthwhile. :lew:

I'll browse the fantasy section, the manga section, the language/travel section and then the classics section. Barnes and Noble usually has those lovely complete works collections with pretty covers. I have Edgar Allan Poe, Grimms Fairytales, Hans Christian Andersen and Arabian Nights. I've been meaning to pick up a Shakespeare one but I haven't had time.

I also browse the journals since I like to collect pretty ones. I seem to never write in them though. :hmmm:

I haven't been to Barnes and Noble or Borders in a while though. I spend way too much money whenever I go into a book store. :sad3:

The first thing I go for whenever I enter a bookstore is always the new releases display. It's usually pretty much right in front of you as you enter the store, and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised to find exactly what I came in for on that display. After that I usually steer straight for the fantasy/sci fi section. Or the horror or comic book section.

I usually go for the fantasy/sci fi section, the historical nonfiction section, and sometimes the home crafts (origami, clay working, cooking etc.). I usually don't buy anything though, I already have a backlog of at least 7 books I'm supposed to be reading but haven't yet; and I also usually just wander around hopefully trying to figure out what part of the shelf my book would be on if it ever got published; although if I publish it myself like I'd like to, it will never be allowed into a major bookstore, because they only accept ones from the big publishing companies :sad3:

I head straight to where my nose leads me...their coffee shop. xD But I don't actually buy anything from there, so I head either straight to their art and children section. I don't know why, but I'm such a sucker for the children's section, even when I was only a teenager! I have to get at least one book for my daughter and if she's with me, we'll sit down and read a few books.

Freddie Mercury said:
I also browse the journals since I like to collect pretty ones. I seem to never write in them though. :hmmm:

Same. I tend to just browse the journals though; I don't think I've ever bought a journal from Barnes & Nobles before since they're so expensive, but I love their leather-covered type.

From time to time I'll check out the computer designs & graphics section as well. I think the last time I went to Barnes, I bought a drawing book to practice my skills, but I haven't been using it as much as I would like.

Whenever I visit Waterstones or a similar bookstore, the first thing I would see are the bestsellers and the latest releases sections. It tends to be the latter that I pay more attention in, particularly if I've read a favourable review about a certain book before and if someone has suggested it to me. I do pay considerable attention to reviews beforehand as there's nothing worse than spending money (Waterstones isn't exactly cheap) on something that I could hate.

The crime and thrillers section would be next and then the travel books. Then I would just look around the various genres around the store and see what gets my attention based on how captivating the blurbs are and the first paragraph of a book. It's just me, but if an opening paragraph or page doesn't hook me, then I don't bother with it.

I don't usually go to book stores unless there is a book I want to get. So in that case, I usually head to the section that book SHOULD be in. I say should because I don't know how many times books will be one genre, but stuck in the section of a different genre.

For example, I have these Legend of Zelda manga, and when the last one had come out, I went to the book store after checking their site to see if they had it in stock (which they did). So when I got there, I went to the spot where the books were. However, this book was not with them, even though they said they had them. I just assumed they had sold out and their site hadn't updated.

About a month later, after checking the store various times, I finally asked someone. He went straight to the same spot I had been looking, and was surprised to see they weren't there, but he knew they had that book in stock. So he checked the computer, and the book I had been looking for was stuck in the children's manga section. :gasp:

Now, in this case maybe that's where it belonged, but when most of their stock of that series was on the end cap of a bookshelf, and the rest of their stock, INCLUDING the newest book is halfway across the store, that was a little unexpected.

I always head for the Arts and Crafts section, because I'm always looking to see if there's a how-to-draw book that was released that I could use to improve my artistic skill. That I can check out the graphic novel section if I feel the need to. Lately there hasn't been any manga on the shelves I'm interested in so I usually read manga online. And I always buy a coffee from their Starbucks before I leave.

I always like to head towards the Sci Fi and Fantasy books first. After that I usually go to the new and bestseller section because I always find something I'm looking for in there. They're more expensive because most of them are hardcover, but it also gives me an idea if I find a new book that I find really well, I can go back and look for older books by the same author

The first section I usually go to when I walk into a Barns and Noble is the Graphic Novel/Manga section. I used to buy these types of books very often in the past, and it used to be the only section I'd bother looking at. However, I find it easier to read them online. Even if I don't plan on buying anything, I still like flipping through the books.

Next, I'd probably go to the sci-fi/fantasy section. I used to be into Star Wars novels, but I've recently gotten into an author named Stephen R. Lawhead, so I've been reading a lot of his books. Then, I'd go to the classics section; there are a lot of old books that are still really good. If I'm in the mood for Greek tragedy, I'd check out the poetry section, too.

Anything to do with language and linguistics is viable, too.

I usually race to the manga section and browse for something interesting, then I race to the magazine section to browse through some music, videogame, and graphic mags. Then I'm either browsing music for interesting CDs or sitting at the cafe place reading a book I dont ever plan on purchasing. Thats my usual routine but I switch things up based in the layout of the bookstore ex. The mag section is closer to the entrance than the manga, etc.

I actually never go straight for reading books.

I always go straight to the stationery and journals. Especially Vera Bradley. I mean, that's how a book starts out!

Barnes and Noble...how I love it :gonk:

...and as far as where I go first when I get in the store, it usually depends :lew: Sometimes I know exactly what I need when I go into the store...either it being a school book, or a book I can use to study with...like an NCLEX exam book (which now that I think of it, I could probably use an updated version of mine :damon:), or if its a book thats come out recently that I really want..and the last case of that was I think was one of the Harry Potter books.

When I go in just to mingle a bit and etc...usually I float over to the nursing books to see if theres anything interesting there...then I float over to the religious/inspirational books, to the fiction/nonfiction books, and then I'll look at the sale books and the books on the tables that are close to the registers on my way to check out.

However, I wonder if my love of the store will change when I get my Kindle for Christmas. I'm excited about the prospect of not having a bunch of books laying around my house and etc...but there's something sentimental about having an actual book to buy and be in your hands. :(

Especially Vera Bradley.
...and OMG I KNOW! :raye:

I saw those cute tote bags and I totally wanted one. They wanted $50 for one of the purple ones and I had to resist at all costs. I absolutely love her stuff :(

I always go towards the bargains first and see if there's anything I like and then I head over to the fantasy and teen romance/adventure sections.

I also tend to have a look at cook books and such but not as often. I have so many cook books now though it's not funny. The sad thing is I rarely use them. :sad3:

I recently went to a $5 bookstore with my mate and got a lot of awesome books, one of which was Torment. The second book in the Fallen series.

Bargains are best!

I never shot straight for a book. I went for the video game magazines first. Then I'd shoot straight to the WWE page in the magazine (or WWF, depending on the time). After that, I'd go into the mystery/sci fi area. That's always been my type of book. Mystery is great. I've always liked those detective books. But yeah, those were my go to book types. I kinda miss going to B&N. Haven't been there in a while.

Back