Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Cloud x Aerith

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Zack x Aerith

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • I don't care...

Votes: 16 21.1%

• Total voters
frigging character designers at square keeping us on the edge, giving us a glimmer of hope that our Tifa/Cloud/Aeris would work out just how we dreamed and then they suck it aaaaaall
away any nothing happened leaving us to have this argument over and over again in circles till the end of time, I wish that they would finally make a spin off where its confirmed either way lol

Cloud x Aerith is the canon pairing of Final Fantasy VII:

From the very beginning of Final Fantasy VII, Cloud Strife was romantically interested in Aerith Gainsborough. This is stated in Square Enix’s Final Fantasy VII Dismantled:

Cloud: Here I met a Flower Girl.
She’s a girl with impressive eyes. She’s around my age, or elder by one or two years. But the innocent radiance in her eyes simply makes her suddenly look younger.
Aerith: “Excuse me, what happened?”
She asked me the question, and then I bought a flower from her, which is rare in Midgar. Maybe she’s pleased that the flower was sold, because the worried look on her face had vanished. If this smile costs only one gil, it is a good purchase.

After finding Aerith physically attractive, Cloud agrees to protect her from the Turks. He agrees to protect her for the price of a romantic date. This romantic date is on Square Enix’s For the One I Love (FTOIL) page:

tumblr_inline_n4ggksvkjd1qh6wo2.jpg

The stated purpose of the FTOIL page is this:

Through the long journeys,
the love of the protagonists develop. Occasionally they become separated, but the two’s value to one another gives them the great strength to overcome whatever crisis may come.

The FTOIL page is giving examples of protagonists and their love developing. It specifically states, “…the two’s value to one another…” This means the FTOIL page is talking about mutual romantic feelings. Therefore, Cloud and Aerith both develop romantic value to one another during the course of the Gold Saucer date.

Unlike the high affection Highwind scene, Cloud and Aerith’s date is thenormal outcome according to Square Enix’s Final Fantasy VII Dismantled:

In Aerith’s case, if you play the game normally, the partner that generally comes will be Aerith.

tumblr_inline_n4ggxs9RKY1qh6wo2.gif

Here is further evidence of the Cloud x Aerith date being canon:

• #111: The Planet’s largest amusement park is run by Dio. Cloud and company visit this place many times in their battle. They meet Cait Sith here. A PROMISED date [there is only one promised date in the game] that ends in a magical night. In the city of desire that floats above the sands, the light memory of the two people is asleep even now…Aerith: “I think I must have seen him again, in you… But you’re different. Things are different… No, Cloud… I’m searching for you…” ~Final Fantasy Art Collection

• “Oh, Cloud…I enjoyed our date at the Gold Saucer. The view from the gondola that night was really beautiful. I’ll never forget it. I’ll never forget you, Cloud…” ~Aerith, Final Fantasy VII Dismantled, Square Enix

Cloud also tells Marlene he "hopes" Aerith likes him according to Square Enix’s Final Fantasy VII 25th Anniversary Ultimania:

Marlene is a sharp girl — Even though she’s only 4 years old, Marlene is perceptive and well attuned to the woman mind. The scene where she ascertains that Aerith has favor for Cloud and tells him so, then says “I won’t tell Tifa!” demonstrates this grownup behavior.

In order for Marlene to say, "I won’t tell Tifa!" Cloud is required to say, "Let’s hope so":

tumblr_inline_n4gh7kjZL01qh6wo2.jpg

tumblr_inline_n4gh7tiIZv1qh6wo2.jpg

tumblr_inline_n4gh822Ndw1qh6wo2.jpg

Finally, an official French translation of Square Enix’s On the Way to a Smilewas recently released. Cloud is stated to be Aerith’s amant (lover in French). We now know, according to the official French translation, which of the two definitions to apply to the Japanese word koibito:

JAPANESE: クラウドは女の友人であり、恋人であり
FRENCH: “Cloud avait ete son ami, et son amant.”
ENGLISH: “Cloud was the woman’s friend, and lover.”

So Clerith is canon in France ??

yes.

and in Germany.

and in Japan.

:lew:

that said, just because cloud is aerith's lover NOW doesn't mean Cloud can't or won't get with anyone else in the future. i personally don't see any evidence for him getting with anyone (including tifa) but it's not like it'd be impossible for nomura to pull a titanic and make cloud have a second best until he gets to the promised land with aerith. :lew:

yes.

and in Germany.

and in Japan.

:lew:

So it's just America, England, Australia etc that believe that Cloti is canon ? Well America and England basically.

that said, just because cloud is aerith's lover NOW doesn't mean Cloud can't or won't get with anyone else in the future. i personally don't see any evidence for him getting with anyone (including tifa) but it's not like it'd be impossible for nomura to pull a titanic and make cloud have a second best until he gets to the promised land with aerith. :lew:

Oh agree !

Though with the mental abuse and mental damage he's been through, I can picture Cloud being single for a very, very long time.

yeah Cloti is very possible too.

So is this the end of the LTD ? It's closed for me personally.

So it's just America, England, Australia etc that believe that Cloti is canon ? Well America and England basically.

Well, officially speaking--clerith IS canon because they were called lovers BY square enix/nojima. However, cloti fans are arguing that this new canon doesn't apply to countries that haven't had it translated yet. So, since Japan, Germany, and France all labeled them as lovers, it only counts for those countries... at least that's what c/t fans want.

But that doesn't make any sense to me. That would mean each country had their own standard of canon and that seems strange to me. Very strange.

IMO, using the 'it's not in our language' argument is silly--if it's been stated in any language it's canon.

Oh agree !

Though with the mental abuse and mental damage he's been through, I can picture Cloud being single for a very, very long time.

yeah Cloti is very possible too.

Same. I personally think Cloud is happy staying alone (at least romantically).

So is this the end of the LTD ? It's closed for me personally.
Yes. No matter how the compilation turns out after this (whether Cloud is also said to be tifa's lover in the future) it won't ever change the fact that during FFVII Cloud chose Aerith to love and they both acted on their love... which, of course, ends the LTD.

^_^

I personally think that Cloud loved both of these ladies, but in my opinion, he wasn't capable of having any kind of relationship in the state that he was in. He always comes across in the games and related media as asexual, not having any interest in having a romantic partner at all, and seems to me to be highly uncomfortable when either lady gets too close. With all of his self esteem and mental issues, that's not really surprising. Through the storyline, he shows a deep emotional attachment to both, but it is never, ever truly shown that he has a preference for one or the other. He loves them both, wants to protect them both, wants them both to be happy and safe. He's a nice guy, loyal and respectful despite everything he has to endure, but come on, the poor kid doesn't get a moments peace to even think about girlfriends and everything he does with both ladies can be seen as him trying to make them happy and trying to be normal... not necessarily as him preferring one to the other. And after everything calms down, he's just too traumatized. I wish people wouldn't argue about this, and just enjoy the possibility that if he had had the chance, he could of had something very beautiful with either of these ladies. Honestly, whether you prefer to think of him with Tifa or Aeris, or even somebody else in the game, it's all good in my book. It's a nice thought, that he could of loved and been loved instead of the way things turned out. But I suppose, that's what fanfiction or our imaginations are for, giving him that happy ending, or even just a little love, that he never managed to enjoy in his life.

who do you think matches more, Cloud with Tifa or Aeris?
Aerith being the Chosen one of the planet and the central figure of Ff7, while Tifa being Clouds overall childhood friend and never to be separable from Cloud...

yepp. sorry mee. i would like to see Cloudo marrying Tifa. Aeris already is with Zack in the life stream while Tifa is perfect to be together forever with Cloud

Reactions: Six
I think it's pretty obvious to most here that I'm a CloTi lover. Cloud and Tifa seem like the much better fit to me. Always preferred Aerith and Zack, not because she's "dead", but I just don't see it with Cloud, personally.

#teamcloti! :D

I haven't read any of the above responses, but I also am team CloTi as well. The love triangle of this game is kind of interesting though, since Aerith really is drawn to Cloud because of her affections for Zack, which of course is the main backstory for Cloud. For me, and I'm sure a lot of people, I find a lot of love triangles to be a bit cliche, but I like how the dynamic between the three (four?) works, it's just interesting and you feel for each one of them. It really adds a bit of that extra spark to the story.
Always preferred Aerith and Zack, not because she's "dead", but I just don't see it with Cloud, personally.

Me too! :D I think their personalities match more ideally, but in death it makes their story a bit more sweet. Both of them are a bit silly in their own rights, and I think for Cloud & Tifa, while Tifa is a bit less serious, just fits better as a couple.

Whereas I'm not a huge fan of the characters of Tifa and Aerith being very often compared in competition with each other (as though one has to be lesser in order for the other to be seen as valid and strong), I do agree with Miko that the dynamic is presented in a far more interesting way in FFVII than your typical love triangle. I think both Tifa and Aerith would actually work out for Cloud since they each bring out a different side of him, and both challenge him to become a better person and present him with a very different world view from the one he holds.

In saying that, I admit to being completely biased towards Aerith being with Zack, and Tifa with Cloud. I saw more of a meaningful connection between Aerith and Zack during Crisis Core and their scenes together were always so sweet. Admittedly, it feels a little uncomfortable seeing Aerith and Cloud in a romantic light with the question of whether or not their connection is heavily based on some sort of trauma bond (i.e. their shared yet independent greif at having lost Zack). This does make the dynamic of their relationship very interesting though and would have given a lot to unpack if Jenoviroth hadn't coming swooping in :whistle2:

Tifa and Cloud on the other hand feels like a very relatable relationship. It's realistic, awkward too (which can be funny at times) and does feel very emotionally intense at times. I like the fact that Cloud is there for Tifa (fails miserably but at least he's trying) and that Tifa calls Cloud out on his BS - I can just feel the stress and exasperation she must get right to her core sometimes :lew: , it's all very refreshingly authentic.

Back