Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light

Demon

Don't ruin my cuin
Veteran
Gil
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light is a DS game set for release on October 5th.

This game looks interesting to me. However, I am worried if I have to play as a 14 year old protagonist - I prefer playing characters a bit older than that.

I'm actually kind of optimistic about this one. It's done by the same guys who made FFIII and FFIV on the DS, III I didn't like but IV was a blast. It looks like it's going to be a throwback to the old school stuff plus some neat little features. I'll get my hands on it as soon as I'm done with Castlevania.

It's the reason I'm getting a DS, along with KH: 385/2days and Re:Coded.

I love the older games and the new crown system looks epic, so this is a must buy for me. Let's hope it lives up to our expectations!
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

Don't get me wrong, I like old-school, but I don't like the idea of it. In games like Secret of Mana, old school storylines, where the story went along with about three lines of dialouge every hour, didn't matter because it had awesome gameplay, multiplayer or alone. Games like FFIII were fine with it to, since it was what people were used to. I don't think that Square Enix is trying to bring back old-school, as much as just being lazy. With all the rediculous stuff they've done recently to get the media all over them, I wouldn't put it past them. Square Enix is slowly losing it's awesomeness. :sad3:

I bought this the other day, and I have to say, I'm impressed. Its really quite old school - the music can only be described as remastered 8-bit, and enemies actually pack quite a punch sometimes, especially since they usually move first. Plus you get absolutely no direction whatsoever, just like in the old days...I've gotten horrendously lost already. Combined with the Crown System - which I think is an interesting new spin on what is basically the same old job mechanic - it makes me feel like I'm playing a cuter version of FFIII.

I do NOT like the MP/AP system, though. Unless there is the opportunity to expand on your five-orb gauge, which I don't think there is, I find it to be terribly unbalanced. Even just attacking takes one orb away, and whilst you get one orb a turn back (unless you Boost, which is essentially the same as doing nothing...or possibly defending, since I took reduced damage when I did it, I think) that just means you can attack every turn, and it doesn't recharge after battles, so you'll eventually run out of orbs entirely, and enemies do hit quite hard, usually on the same character...I've had characters die quite a bit already, and its very aggravating. Not being able to select who you heal (or even attack, unless I'm missing something) is annoying as well.

The 15 items per person limit is sheer stupidity as well. Four pieces of equipment, plus tomes for magic, plus Potions. It doesn't leave much room left, and it seems a tad idiotic to me. Party inventory? Anyone on the development team ever heard of that? I guess not.

I doubt this will make up for the disappointment of FFXIII, but its going to be enjoyable, I think~

I haven't played it yet, but I have heard you do little more than dictate the action type, and the AI does what it's like with what freedom you give it, I think that kind of system will just annoy me so I may give it a miss :hmmm: I like having full control of the battlefield, not having the game play itself for me :rage:

If I wanted an AI to do the battle for me, i'd play persona :mokken:

Honestly, it sounds like a waste of my time and my money.
SE, instead of making a generic "old-school feel" RPG that seems like the old FFs, but isn't, how about you focus on making your main games not sucking.
In fact, instead of making crap like this, how about you remake V or VI for DS instead?

So at this point I guess my question would be, "How is it as a DS game exactly?"

Because you know, most DS games are pretty much the way the last two posters described :D.

It's kind of sounding like they're using the worst elements of a retro game though :hmmm:.

Im playing it right now, and so far its very good. Ive only got 4 crowns so far (Freelancer, wayfarer, w mage, b mage)

I got it, and I think that it's really fun.

I do think the limited character inventory is pretty dumb, but that's all that I'm not too keen on. Everything else is pretty enjoyable.

I think it is actually a great game to have people try if they want to get into FF. Everything is there from the older games, but it's much more simplistic in that you don't choose what enemies you attack or allies you help. That is all based upon your weapon and your spells.

Your long ranged weapons will automatically attack back row enemies first, and your melee weapons will automatically attack front row enemies. Attack spells that don't attack all the enemies at once will start with those in the back row. Healing spells will target either the character with the lowest HP or the lowest percentage of HP remaining (I'm not quite sure which yet, I haven't really paid attention to it).

The best part...when a character hits 0 HP, instead of just laying on the ground, they turn into a ghost and will stay as a ghost (even outside of battle) until you raise them.

I read on Gamespot that you can't even choose exactly who to attack or heal in battle, is that right?
You just select "Attack" or "Potion" or whatever and the game picks one out for you?

I read on Gamespot that you can't even choose exactly who to attack or heal in battle, is that right?
You just select "Attack" or "Potion" or whatever and the game picks one out for you?

Read my last post...I already covered that info.

But yes, the game automatically picks for you, but like I said, it's based upon the weapon/spell. Swords and the like will always start with front row enemies, while bows and the like start with back row enemies.

It's really no different than, for example, fighting a battle in FFIV and never manually choosing which enemy to attack (you just pick the enemy the game puts the cursor on first).

Attack spells always start with the back row. Beneficial spells (like Shell and Protect) start with the person casting it, then I'm not sure what determines who comes next. Healing spells will heal whomever has the lowest health remaining or lowest percentage of health remaining (I'm not really sure which, I haven't paid much attention)

Sorry, totally missed your post. Dunno how. >.>

Thanks for the info though, that's cleared things up.
Doesn't sound as bad as I initially thought. Although, I'll probably still give it a miss.
Doesn't seem like my cup of tea at the moment.

Brought this game a few days ago, and I'm loving it. It's just like playing a modern version of Final Fantasy 3 and Final Fantasy 2. The new battle system is really good, it looks like it could make the game too simple, but the difficultly of the monsters and the bosses make up for it. I'm really not used to Final Fantasy princesses being a bitch, and the princess in this game is a bit bitchy, and kind of makes you wonder if SE struggled to try and make a girl that's not a damsel in distress but isn't a stereotypical manly tough girl, but think it was Enix's influence. There's too much Dragon Quest formats in this game, like the familiar Dragon Quest like characters, like the princess, having animals in your party, and being able to put some money in a bank, and loosing your money if you fail in a boss battle or just a fight.

Usually I wouldn't mind having Dragon Quest things in a game, but this is meant to be a Final Fantasy game to remember the old times, and have memories of the older games. It kind of spoils the game alot. Apart from that it's a really good FF.

I tried this game and I did'nt fell like it's FF it's way too different (music does not sound like FF). but then in the other hand I've just played 15min so dont take this post too seriously.

when i bough this game i was surprised , well first there is no opening movie ... and second the graphics are bad , and third the battle system is very very bad cuz u cant choose who u want to attack or heal etc . and also there are no espers to summon and no jobs , there is only the crown system wich adds few things for example a crown to use the run abilitie , ffiii is so much better than the 4 heroes of light

Here goes my bad attempt at reviving an old thread. *Raise!*
Seriously though, I've been playing Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light recently && I have to say that there are many pros and cons to it (as with any game). I first started playing this game around its release date, but I easily became frustrated with the game's mechanics && the difficulty of it all, so I gave up. However! After replaying the game, I began to appreciate the old school, classic feel of it. I'm still playing it now, but here's my take on it:

Pros
- Somewhat simplistic storyline (the mission to "save your town" becomes "save the world"), but there are a lot of unexpected plot twists! Plus, there are some side quests for more crowns && "ultimate weapons," but I'm not gonna spoil anything... ^^;

- The characters actually have relateable personalities and there's a good amount of character development and interaction/dialogue. It's mostly light-hearted (nothing too deep), but I think it works out well in this game.

- The crown system is a pretty interesting take on the traditional job class system. Plus, multiple crowns = more fun && customization! Each crown is unique && valuable in it's own way && can be upgraded/expanded upon. Also, I like how each crown has it's own set of gear/armor~

- Ready for a challenge? Although the "chibi-like" graphics may suggest that this is a "kiddie" game, don't be fooled. Battles can be awfully challenging if you aren't prepared or leveled up enough. Even regular non-boss battles can be somewhat daunting... *sighh* However! I consider this a pro because the challenging nature of the game motivates the player to keep leveling (after they have screamed out loudly in rage && frustration, that is).

Cons (some of these were mentioned in earlier posts, but...)
- There isn't enough direction in terms of the storyline. Although it's somewhat linear, you have to approach several NPCs just to get a HINT at what you're supposed to be doing next. So yeah, this definitely contrasts from contemporary RPGs that sometimes "spoon feed" you directions.

- The AP system is incredibly ANNOYING. AP (obviously "Action Points," but I'd rather call them "Annoying Points") is the key to battling in this game. You get a max of 5AP && attacks/moves can take anywhere from 1AP~4AP it seems. This is especially detrimental to White Mages/Black Mages because most of their high level magic consumes about 3AP... There's no MP in this game. x_x The process of regaining and maintaining an adequate amount of AP every turn can equate to life or death in some battles, particularly boss battles.

- ALSO! Battles can be quite frustrating because the system is not truly turn-based. So, who goes first? You, or the enemy? Who the hell knows. There is no "Speed' attribute in this game, so it's difficult to predict. Although you can input commands for each character, there is no specific target selected (this includes healing spells && items). The game "graciously" and automatically chooses your target for you, which may or may not work out well for you in some cases. Honestly, sometimes you have to throw strategy out of the window for this game && solely rely on brute strength && high level magic spells! xD

So, there's Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light in a nutshell. Overall, I thoroughly enjoy playing this game && I hope to beat it fairly soon! :3 I'm not gonna lie though-- this game can be awfully frustrating && I don't appreciate having to grind level for boss battles... =__= But that's part of the challenge I suppose. I hope there are others out there who enjoy this game as well, 'cause it seems like most people are somewhat disappointed by it or dislike it. xD;

Back