Maria Class?

PipeDream92

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Title kinda says it all. Which is better, staves or bows for maria? I had just beaten the Emperor (first time u fight him), and then next time i tried to continue, turned out my save data was corrupt, so im starting over, and am wondering if there's any particular advantage to using staves? If neither are better, please list pros+cons for each.

Btw, the fact that maria was always in the back of the party, didn't prove to be much of a problem for me, at least not up until the point i was at

I'm not very far into this game, but seeing as I went the totally sexist (kiiiiiidding. Just kidding.) route and made her a mage too, having a bow and being in the back row just... made sense. I made her a Red Mage, without anything other than Cure/Life for Guy, and Cure/Life/basic Black Magic for Firion. She was actually my main damage dealer as well, since the bow I had was like.. awesome. I don't remember what it was though. =/ I would load up and check but my PSP is broken. :lew:

thanks for the quick reply, helped me out a lot, i think i'll have bow, but leave her in the front during the first little bit so she can gain some hp.
by the way, if you ever get your psp fixed, or play it on a different system, apparantly the ideal thing to do is have Maria as a white mage and Guy/Gus as a Black mage, just so ya know ;)

thanks again!

by the way, do you know if using a bow in the back has any effect on attack power, as opposed to using it in the front? it seems the only difference is that she is less likely to get hit in the back, do you know of any other advantages?

Mod edit: Please do not double post. I've merged your posts. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, characters in the back row only take half damage or so from physical attacks, but they do half damage with melee weapons. (Swords, axes, spears ect.)
They do normal damage with ranged weapons, like the bow, and magic.

I had her with bows the entire game. Its nice to have a ranged attacker /spellcaster with her. I tried other weapons but it all depends on how much experience she has with weapons

it's true, women are better with magic. :) jkjk

but seriously, i had her as my only spell caster and had her with bows. regardless, if you're gonna make her a spell caster, you're gonna want her in the back row. if that's the case, you might as well give her a ranged weapon.

maria is a healer. it really doesn't matter what weapons you give her. the neat thing about the battle system in FF2 is that you can have another character spam osmose on her, raising her MP max in no time

I made her my overall ranger/white mage character. I gave her the Vanish spell early on, then got a pretty strong bow way earlier than you're supposed to by getting lucky with the guards in Fynn. Afterwards, she more or less became my healer, with Firion and Guy doing most of the damage

I used her as a brawler, as a frontline, fists-only attacker. I beat the game with staying in that role and Firion as backline healer, but that was probably the worst idea possible lol. I didn't know jack about the game when I started, and just thought she'd look cool as a monk-type character. :D I don't regret it. It was fun, and she looked cool kicking butt and taking names, but that was more an aesthetic/roleplay decision than a well-considered statistical decision.

A lesson then may be that she can do okay regardless of her role, but is probably better suited for backline work.

Back