FFVII: AC Review

Serah

l'Cie,
Veteran
Gil
This is a thread created for people to give reviews on the movie, so we don't have all kinds of threads of people posting about the movie, please feel free to make your post here! What you did or didn't love about this movie. What do you feel that could have been changed, what could have been better. Do you feel certain characters needed more screentime? Please post your opinions here!

There's something weird......
Cloud Dudged the bullets easily but he couldn't touch Loz! thats pain in the ass..
and I think the bullets is faster than Loz, am I right?

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this movie. On one hand, it was nice to see all the characters nicely animated. The movie was fun to watch and it was great fan service. But that is what is was, fan service.

I was very anxious to see all my favorite characters again, but most of my absolute favorites were barely in the story. Yuffie is my favorite character but she doesn't show up until the end. Same with Cid, Cait Sith, and poor Red XIII only had one line! This part of the movie was a big let down for me.

I felt that the action was way too much. There just needed to be a break between the bahamut fight, the bike chase, the fight with Kadaj, and the fight with Sephiroth.

Speaking of Sephiroth, I really felt that bringing him back into the movie really brought down the ending of the game. I kind of wish that Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz were just the villians.

How the heck did Rufus survive that explosion? I think he was only brought back because he was such a popular character.

Also, why is Cloud suddenly so emo? He was over it by the end of the game. And who is this Denzel kid that seemed to come out of no where? Why isn't Barret with Marlene? Anyone who had never played the game would never know that he is her father.

To add some positive things, there were some scenes from this movie that I absolutely love. I thought Marlene's recap, although brief, was very well done and brought back memories of the game. So much, that I replayed VII shortly after I watched the movie and it had been years since I had played it last. The scene with Cloud and Aerith in the flower field actually brought tears to my eyes. Getting to watch Yuffie fight was a real treat for me, but I'm just being biased here. I liked the bahamut fight as a whole. And Cid was pretty badass with that spear. I liked watching Tseng and Elena make the net for Rufus to fall into. It's the only time we get to see Elena do something cool. When Aerith's rain was healing everyone that made me smile. The ending scene with Cloud finally getting to see Aerith also brought tears to my eyes.

So I guess I would give the movie 5 out of 10 stars. Enjoyable but could have been done better.

Speaking of Sephiroth, I really felt that bringing him back into the movie really brought down the ending of the game. I kind of wish that Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz were just the villians.

They wanted to bring him back, because the main antagonist of Final Fantasy VII was Sephiroth. They felt that it just wouldn't be the same if they couldn't bring back the main and have Cloud and Sephiroth fight. That was basically fan service IMO

How the heck did Rufus survive that explosion? I think he was only brought back because he was such a popular character.
I searched for this as well, but I dunno how the hell he survived that explosion. I own the Reunion Files and it never specifically says. I think they just kept him alive for plot reasons.

Also, why is Cloud suddenly so emo? He was over it by the end of the game. And who is this Denzel kid that seemed to come out of no where? Why isn't Barret with Marlene? Anyone who had never played the game would never know that he is her father.
If there is one thing that pisses me off it's people referring to Cloud being emo. Cloud is NOT emo in this movie. Cloud is struggling with pain, remorse and grief of Aerith's death and he still blames himself for her dying. Not to mention that he loved her, so that makes it even worse. The only way Cloud can ever reach forgiveness is forgiveness from Aerith herself. Also, Cloud is suffering from a terminal illness and he's ready to just give up living altogether.

Denzel was led to Cloud by Aerith. She brought Denzel to him just outside of her church. Read Case of Tifa and you'll find out more.

Barret is traveling to settle things about his past, leaving Marlene in the care of Tifa.

To add some positive things, there were some scenes from this movie that I absolutely love. I thought Marlene's recap, although brief, was very well done and brought back memories of the game. So much, that I replayed VII shortly after I watched the movie and it had been years since I had played it last. The scene with Cloud and Aerith in the flower field actually brought tears to my eyes. Getting to watch Yuffie fight was a real treat for me, but I'm just being biased here. I liked the bahamut fight as a whole. And Cid was pretty badass with that spear. I liked watching Tseng and Elena make the net for Rufus to fall into. It's the only time we get to see Elena do something cool. When Aerith's rain was healing everyone that made me smile. The ending scene with Cloud finally getting to see Aerith also brought tears to my eyes.

So I guess I would give the movie 5 out of 10 stars. Enjoyable but could have been done better.
I hope that clears some things up for you. You should read Maiden Who Travels the Planet and Case of Tifa if you want more further answers to the movie. Remember this takes place 2 years after the original game.

This just has to be the greatest movie I've ever seen! I loved all the scenes, characters and the music is just to die for. I'm currently listening to the AC tunes on the jukebox. *Hums the rock version of One Winged Angel* This has to be bowed down to. Did it get nominated for anything or received any sort of award?

Well, I'll just post my "review" from another thread.

Final Fantasy: Advent Children was a terrible movie. Sure, from a true fan of VII's point of view, it was just big orgasm after another, but me, I was actually hoping for some substance to come out of VII. In that respect, I was quite sorely let down.

Sure, Advent Children was very pretty to look at, but beyond that no substance whatsoever. The story was weak, the characterizations (beyond token cameos for no reason other than to say they were there) were boring, and cinematography was blah. It was fanboy service. As a movie, it was worse than something Uwe Boll would have come up with.

I thought it was a very good movie. Made me cry when I first saw it and still, makes me cry now. Made me laugh as well.
I watch it in Japanese with English subs. For some reason they sensor the swearing and miss translate it. -_-

There's somethin weird......
Cloud Dudged the bullets easly but he couldn't touch Loz! thats pain in the ass..
and I think the bullets is faster than Loz, am I right?

i actually think he was faster then the bullets, considering he was, in my eyes, warping around instead of running or jumping, when looking at the glow that's following him, but i'm not sure ofc

further, i watched the movie 5 minutes ago and i enjoyed it a lot i could follow the story in a certain degree, so it's possible to understand what's happening without having played the game, which is a great +point

additionally, the fighting scenes were awesome, fast movement, nice camera angles and movement, was great

i didn't really like the fights on the motorcycles, but there were only 2, so it wasn't that bad, it's fine to look at for the first time, but it becomes pretty boring at a 2nd time

an overall score i would give: 9.5/10

I have mixed feelings about AC.

Good things:

The obvious higlights of this movie is the outstanding and completely stunning CGI mastery. It is absolutely hyper-realistic and just blew me away that is reason enough to watch, just to make sure it's really that good. The other great critizism about the film was the beautifully choreographed action scenes they were slick, fast and flowed from one action to the other with eye-blistering speed and grace; each scene was an amazing specticle. The characters also made the transision to 3D very nicely (especially Tifa, she looks great!).

The music in the film was also very nice with some of my favourites including the score (and quire) played during the Bahamut Sin fight scene and the remix of The One Winged Angel.
Voice talents were great although it did take me a while to gt used to Tifa's and Cait Sith's is still bugging me a bit because I just didn't imagine him with a scotish accent.

The bad things about this movie was:

Reno and Rude were initially, within the game, cool and collected villains that you thought were utter badasses because of there cool talking, confident, attitudes (well, more Reno than Rude). However, in the film they're just comedians and I was quite shocked by this; it was funny at first but then I just thought what happened to their cooler personas.

The other bad point would have to be my biggest gripe of them all. Advent Children just didn't have much story telling in it. It seemed as if it was a compilation of fight scenes with the occassional dialogue stashed in between. I expecyed to see more scenes such as the one where Tifa and Marlene speaking in the church as well as ones like Vincent explaining to Cloud. When I think Final Fantasy I think a juicy amount of story telling (those bits in between that divides the fighting and draws the player in with engrossing dialogue), however, AC didn't have that and although it was great, as I watched it more and more it starts to run dry cause there isn't much to watch besides the fighting and the odd bits between.

Well, I'll just post my "review" from another thread.

Final Fantasy: Advent Children was a terrible movie. Sure, from a true fan of VII's point of view, it was just big orgasm after another, but me, I was actually hoping for some substance to come out of VII. In that respect, I was quite sorely let down.

Sure, Advent Children was very pretty to look at, but beyond that no substance whatsoever. The story was weak, the characterizations (beyond token cameos for no reason other than to say they were there) were boring, and cinematography was blah. It was fanboy service. As a movie, it was worse than something Uwe Boll would have come up with.

You win. I couldn't have said it better myself at all. I knew somebody was going to throw Uwe in, I'm amazed he got thrown in there so early.
The plot was as limp and lifeless as diluted koolaid, and I'm sorry, YES, I thought Cloud was emo. In all seriousness. He went through the struggle during the game, his sadness shouldn't have been an overwhelming sea of pain and angst. Sure, he loved Aeris, but when the world is falling apart and you are a hero, you HAVE to act, you have to move on. It seemed almost as though his angst was the only thing keeping the movie from being one giant fight. It is really really sad that the movie turned out so crappy, what with a whole team working on it and all. I say they should make an actual story, a good long one, about two hours long. Really beef it up, think about the complexities of the characters and their relationships with one another...
I mean...so much could have been done...

Good Points:
The graphics was cool, everything was nicely designed. Square Enix never fails in this area, 10/10...
The changes that was made, everyone's grown up looks, cloud's new bike, his new weapon and new omnislash was cool...
The plot was nicely done but it wasnt perfect caused I figured if I didnt play the game I would have been lost.

Bad points:
Maybe it would be better if they explained more about Geostigma, how it infected the people and why it only affected the children and not adults and stuff...
And whenever cloud was in a fix, Aerith kept coming out to 'save' him or encourage him. Once or twice is ok, but coming out three or four times isnt it a bit too much? Just my 2cents...

Overall:
It was very well done, I am more than happy with the movie. Despite an action film it included humor like Reno and Rude. Fight scenes were not too long but not too short either. I'll give it a 9/10 overall... If i thought of anything else I'll write it inside again... :D

Bad points:
Maybe it would be better if they explained more about Geostigma, how it infected the people and why it only affected the children and not adults and stuff...
Well we remember that Rufus Shinra and both Cloud were infected with Geostigma. Maybe it infected the children first because of their vulnerablity to illnesses and it was taking longer with the adults than the kids.

And whenever cloud was in a fix, Aerith kept coming out to 'save' him or encourage him. Once or twice is ok, but coming out three or four times isnt it a bit too much? Just my 2cents...
Aerith is Cloud's pillar of strength. She didn't come for him, Cloud reached out to her. Especially in the Forgotten City. It's painful for him to go there and he's constantly reminded of her there. In the Reunion Files Nomura stated that he still wanted to make it as though Aerith was still by Cloud's side. Her conciousness lives on in him and that is why she's always there when he's at his weakest points. So there are no bad points about her being there when he needs her most at all. Cloud and Aerith truly have feelings for one another and just because she's dead in the literal sense doesn't mean he doesn't still love her and she can't be there for him anymore.

ohh... Thanks again Lady Aerith for that. You are really like a walking FF7:AC encyclopedia. ha ha. I shall go get a copy of the Reunion Files first before posting anything more.

By the way your fanfic is really nicely written. I started reading yesterday and have read up til chapter 7. Good job done. Look forward to more of your writings. =)

LOL! I have the Reunion Files and playing FFVII since 1997 to thank for that ;) I'm glad I could make things more clearer for you :D

I'm also very glad to hear you're reading my fanfic and enjoying it as well :D It's been a long road writing it but I'm over halfway done with it.

I've already stated more than once it's a book. There is no link. You have to buy it or borrow it from somebody. You can get it off of ebay.

I'll giv it 10 as the fighting scenes were awsome, the motor bike chase was one of the best and the finishing omnislash to sephiroth was classic.

Back