FFVII: AC Review

I enjoyed the movie. My only issue is with the English dub: It absolutely sucked. The emotions were barely there, and if there was any, it was really fake.

I was surprised with the movie since I thought it was just something to add on as a last ditch effort on Square, but it was pretty connected to the FFVII storyline.

The main issue was about Cloud dealing with his guilt at not being able to protect the people close to him, like Zack and Aeris.

But at the end when we finally see Aeris' face in full-view, and she basically tells him to get over it, and Zack's final farewell wave and the two leave hand-in-hand, and Cloud smiles.

It definitely gives closure. The whole thing with Sephiroth and the "spirits" was just used to give action in the film and to give Cloud a reason to face his demons.

At least that's what I think.

I got the movie, and... I liked it at first, but, then I didn't really like it afterwards. I guess it's because I didn't really get it... yet, I had to explain it to a friend when we watched the movie together...

I did enjoy this film and still enjoy it today. I have both the imported DVD, 2 disk DVD, OST and the PSP version. It was something many fans were waiting for and was a nice chance to see because I seen Spirits Within to be a disapointment to the FF series.

I got the imported version too ^^ just a shame my dvd player isnt multi region :wacky:

I did enjoy AC although I think it could have been thought out better. The whole geostigma thing seemed so random.
The fighting scenes were epic though & Reno & Rude just cracked me up.

I wish they didn't bring Sephiroth back though, it kinda ruined all the hard work in the game for me when he was beaten to a pulp in a matter of a couple of hours when I spent 70 odd hours pursuing him in the game

I might watch it again later actually

I love the film! The great action, dialog, dubbing and CGI really make for an immersive experience in my opinion. Although I must admit the story could of been way better the rest made up for it.

I kinda wished while I was watching it that I was watching it in the theatres and not straight to DVD.

It would have been sooo good in theatre to watch. My favorite thing about that movie is action scenes applenty. There was so much going on you couldn't help it. ^_^ it was satisfying to watch.

Agreed. The fighting is nice. Mainly because of the graphics, if you ask me. They look so real.

+
Some great acting.
Extremely visually impressive.
Some good humour in parts.

-
Soundtrack is mediocre at best, a few good tunes, but can't possibly match up to the original game.
Far too short, seemed more like a mini movie.
Storyline is very poor and confusing.
Gore censored. All those characters should have been killed from obtaining so much damage. It isn't an RPG, but a film.
There is hardly any backstory explained.
Nothing new to FFVII.

Overall, I think that Square should stick to games and let film companies do any spinoffs, etc. Its only redeeming feature is the visuals. If it was an hour longer, I might have been more forgiving.

6/10. I wonder why I haven't thrown that piece of sh* into the bin.

Last edited:
It was truly great. Really, with the awesome graphics and all.
But the greatest thing about the movie was the music. Really, one of the best soundtracks I ever heard :D

It was entertaining enough to watch the first time around, but after that first time, the movie rapidly lost its charm to me. For a movie bearing the Final Fantasy title, it had shockingly little focus on the actual storyline, and too much focus on (visually very impressive) fighting scenes. It might just be me, but I don't remember characters jumping around like that, pulling all sorts of impressive stunts, in the game. I really wish they would have stayed more loyal to the FF franchise, thought up a great storyline, and toned down the visuals a bit. It would probably have been less succesful that way, but in my opinion it would have been MUCH better.

If Square ever decides to make another FF movie, I'm hoping it will be more Final Fantasy and less Dragon Ball Z...

Advent Children

its got to be one of the greatest films ever and i've seen it tons of times but trying to get a copie of it mine got nicked and my life has lost meaning ever since.

i loved the film. i also wish the battle system to be used on the upcoming ff games. i havent completed 7 yet but the way the film was shown really helped me to understand what had happened. the voice acting was excellent and graphiclly its the best animated film i have seen. clouds dark persona and clothing really suited him and the final battle between sephiroth and cloud was really good

I really liked the movie, but it did have its flaws. The plot could have been fleshed out ALOT more, since it was very confusing and left you asking questions after you watched it. Some of the dialog was a bit strange.. and I think it needed less fight scenes and more scenes that actually explained what was going on. That said, I loved the graphics and seeing all of my favorite characters again.

It was a suprisingly good movie

Mod Edit: Please try to put more effort into your post, say 'why' you thought Advent Children was a good movie. Thank you. =]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this movie was good but way to short. At times i didnt even understand what was going on, but thats probally cause i didnt play FF7. Still if they make i movie i thought it would at least give full explanation on the story before the movie.

I saw this a couple years back and I must say I was impressed, Voice acting was great (only seen the japanesse one with subtitles), the animation was simply amazing and the story was wonderful. It did get confusing at times but I must say I enjoyed Advent children way more than I thought I would.

Back