FFVII: AC Review

Meh, my opinion of the movie is pretty short... I thought it was utter crap... This was definitely a movie for the most die hard of fans. Anyway, it’s not really my taste in anime, the graphics and animation were beautiful, but the fighting sequences were like watching the Matrix on crack which just became borderline ridiculous toward the end.

I think the movie was the best action, sci-movie and anime that exists.

More action then bla-bla and lots of swords. Also, you understand FFVII a little better for those who hadn't played FFVII.

I'm not fond of this movie. The only cons I can think of was: 'Wow awesome pretty graphics!' The animation and characters looked great/hot.

The plot was just plain stupid. The whole geostigma diseases was just to throw in there. Kadaj and his little gang that look like escaped from the loony house. The fight between Cloud and Sephiroth was just pure fan service. (Although I must admit it was kinda cool.....)

Fight scenes were just stupid as well. The whole flying around in the air and perfectly landing on their motorcycles was just ridiculous. Sure, action movies have impossible action scenes and this is a fantasy game after all but the game its self wasn't like this. In FFVII the motorcycle seen was at least somewhat realistic. Friggin Yazoo can't AIM!!!!

The movie was basically fan service. All it was for to show Square Enix how much they can make off this game.

i love the film, the graphics are amazing and the fight sequences were great. watched it twice in a row the first day i bought it.
the only downfall was the voice for Cait Sith...a little annoying to say the least.
but overall, fantastic.
[wicked soundtrack might i add]

Sure, action movies have impossible action scenes and this is a fantasy game after all but the game its self wasn't like this. In FFVII the motorcycle seen was at least somewhat realistic.

If they made it to look like in AC the game would be on 10 discs not 4, think about it...

If they made it to look like in AC the game would be on 10 discs not 4, think about it...

What? No I'm saying is the Motorcycle fight between Cloud and the crazy sliver haired gang fight was over done. With the fancy motorcycles flying in the air, and some how landing on their motorcycle perfectly while their motorcycle is going 200 MPH. In FFVII the motorcycle game its self is more realistic. You know, Cloud isn't jumping off his motorcycle while it flies into the air etc.

And what I'm saying is that if the PSone had better capabilities they may have done the mini game like that, but the game would have been of 10 discs and not 4, cause the effects and stuff would take up a lot of space...
I really enjoyed all the fights in AC, to honest I would have been a bit disappointed if they were anything less. Also you really can't compare the fights in the game to the fights in AC...

And what I'm saying is that if the PSone had better capabilities they may have done the mini game like that, but the game would have been of 10 discs and not 4, cause the effects and stuff would take up a lot of space...

Actually the game was on 3 discs not 4. And I highly doubt, even if the PSX did have better graphics capabilities, that the motorcycle scene and minigame would have been like AC. It's an RPG after all, not an action game.

On topic, I didn't really care for the movie at all. The graphics were nice but other than that, I thought it was pretty lame. I didn't like the plot. It seemed kind of cobbled together at the last moment.

I didn't like that most of the main characters were only in the movie for like 5 minutes. Cloud really annoyed me. I went from being sort of indifferent to Cloud to outright not liking him after the movie.

Some of the fights were okay but a lot of them were cheesy (the Bahamut battle for example).

Cerridwen said:
The movie was basically fan service. All it was for to show Square Enix how much they can make off this game.

Concur.

No really comparing them. o_O Just saying that the AC were all fancy and basically fan service. The fights were entertaining I give it that.

Heh, I don't think they had the technology back then and PSone could hold a certain amount of power.

As for the motorcycle game in pretty uber ps3 graphics....Well we just have to wait until if Square does make FFVII on the ps3. Knowing Square they might change things from the original probably.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. The way the movie looked was great, especially how the battle scenes played out. I thought the plot was actually pretty good, and atleast a decent way to bring back sephiroth.

I think including Aerith was a bit too much fanservice, but overall, i thought it was a great movie.

i personally thought that the FF VII advent children movie was great my fave part in it was the fight scene against that demon thing which its name always escapes me.
but great movie overall (and yes i know i said great twice i just love that movie sad i know)

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed this. The way the movie looked was great, especially how the battle scenes played out. I thought the plot was actually pretty good, and atleast a decent way to bring back sephiroth.

I think including Aerith was a bit too much fanservice, but overall, i thought it was a great movie.

And I think you're wrong considering the plans Square had in mind for all of this. They stated that if Sephiroth still existed than Aerith must exist as well. In the Reunion Files they also stated that they wanted to make it so that Aerith was still by Cloud's side, even if in spirit. Aerith being in the movie wasn't just fanservice, but a comfort center for Cloud as well which he needed. Because of her, he knows that he doesn't have to suffer anymore. He now understands that it wasn't his fault she died, and that she's still right by his side and always will be.

And I think you're wrong considering the plans Square had in mind for all of this. They stated that if Sephiroth still existed than Aerith must exist as well. In the Reunion Files they also stated that they wanted to make it so that Aerith was still by Cloud's side, even if in spirit. Aerith being in the movie wasn't just fanservice, but a comfort center for Cloud as well which he needed. Because of her, he knows that he doesn't have to suffer anymore. He now understands that it wasn't his fault she died, and that she's still right by his side and always will be.

The Reunion Files was a way for Square to justify the fanservice - basically they needed a way to finagle the fanservice into the most accessible part of the merchandise (i.e. the movie) while still working out a BS loophole for those who actually notice the inconsistencies and awful logic. The existence of Sephiroth was definitely fanservice as well, and even more nonsensical than Aeris' inclusion in the movie.

The movie was something great to watch, everything but the baptism part...
For those wondering what the devil I be saying, watch the movie closely at the end where one kid is still infected and cloud places him in the water inside the church was a tad much.

Besides that part the fight scenes were great.

eisprinz said:
The Reunion Files was a way for Square to justify the fanservice - basically they needed a way to finagle the fanservice into the most accessible part of the merchandise (i.e. the movie) while still working out a BS loophole for those who actually notice the inconsistencies and awful logic. The existence of Sephiroth was definitely fanservice as well, and even more nonsensical than Aeris' inclusion in the movie.
And why does it seem like almost every single time I make a post in FFVII you have to come in, spout off your two cents and contradict everything I say, including my own opinions? Here lately you're coming across as a real jerk and quite frankly, I'm getting sick of it.

Also Sky, that wasn't baptism. That was Aerith's Great Gospel healing waters and the only thing that could cure the geostigma. That had absolutely nothing to do with baptism.

I didn't like the movie at all. I thought the plot was awful (not that I think VII's plot is good anyway. I'm up to the end of the first disk, and still I find it boring and uneventful) and the animation was way too OMGz teH COOlz£rs! The fight scenes were beyond ridiculous ... They just prove how truly ridiculous Nomura's designs are. Yeah, lets just hold a ten-tonne Buster Sword around with one hand as if it's a bloody feather. Yeah, that nine foot katana won't deteriorate at all because of it's size, oh, of course not.

(Yes, I am bringing realism into Final Fantasy. Why? Because FFVII is all futuristic and realistic.)

Oh lord, the villains. HA. Oh geez, so intimidating. The whole Geostigma thing wasn't really explored that well. Sephiroth's "Big Plan" ... made of such epic phailure. The plan in itself is pretty generic-EVUL ... and the fact that it wasn't even remotely explored makes it suck even more. He was on screen for about 7 minutes, if my memory serves me correctly. Hardly enough time to slaughter the entire crew that owned you last time and prove his Godly status since he's supposedly the most powerful FF character ever ... The whole idea of any of the SHM trio becoming Sephiroth was just plain absurd.

The Bahamut scene.
WHAT THE FUCK?
If that is a goddamn dragon, then Yuna is a slut ... oh, would you look at that, she is. Nomura's doing, again. But still, what the hell? It's a cyborg mutant with completely redundant metal wings ... And it gets owned in about 5 minutes of it's summoning? After a call from the crew, of course. They help out small-penised hero to fly about ... 500 feet in the air ... by throwing him? O_O Yeah, I can see how that works ...

In my opinion, Advent Children is utter fanservice. Was the Reunion Files written before or after AC was released? If it was written afterwards, it was probably to fill in all the bloody gaps AC left. The fanservice part of AC was pretty much all of the fight scenes, and just having all of the (in my opinion, pretty rubbish) characters in CGI-glory ... not that any of them actually did much ... All you needed was a mini-game of undressing Tifa and the fanwank service would have been complete.

I was so happy when Tifa got ruffed up. It was lulz-worthy. The one thing that annoys me the most about AC:

They didn't even say Aerith's name! ¬.¬ After all of the references to her, they didn't say her name! I still want to know how to officially say it.

*Readies a watery shield* Let the flames begin *le sigh*

I havent watch the whole movie, only Bahamuth and Sephiroth fights and don´t really want to see more. Fights are cool but I have limit for too many anti-gravity anime leaps. Movie also is well animated, everything looks good but the story seems very weak, and those 3 gay looking brothers are annoying.

And it is nothing like FFVII is. It doesnt have the same appeal FFVII has. AC is only for fanservice, I don´t consider it as main canon although I don´t think any FF Compilation is good enough to be main canon. Its more like FFVII 2000.

come on guys it wasnt that bad!! it waz the teams first attempt at making a movie and i think it turned out pretty well. yes the movie had problems and didnt explain things very well (hence why we prob have reunion files, on the way to a smile, ultimania book, ect.) but neither did the game. and as for it not being realistic, nomura stated that this movie waznt suppossed to b realistic and that they didnt even attempt to make it that way. they're making advent children complete tho, which adds in cuts and bruises and a few extra scenes, so mayb yall will like that better.

Actually it was a great movie,better than FF:TSW.

The AC movie had lots of action and lots of great scene and the best thing in the movie..there was no romance! And the fighting parts were the best! I mean I don't like Cloud but the way he fight is awesome.

i absolutely loved the film Advent Children, it had a great story line and the CGI was superb, not to mention all the kwl moves that happened in the fight scenes, it totally rocked and i have been watching it every chance i get hehe

Back