If you were a different gender..

Geez, I came here just thinking 'hey, I'd cosplay as all the characters I can't pull off as a dude', and then I see all...this :wacky:

No but really, it would be kinda nice. There aren't lots of solid cosplay opportunities for guys, plus the activity itself is more popular among women, so while I wouldn't say there's a stigma attached to it as myself I probably wouldn't feel very comfortable doing it anyhow. But I appreciate great cosplays of my favorite characters and I've always found it an interesting hobby.

Just want to quickly say after seeing the title that gender and sex are not the same thing. Presumably the thread starter wanted to ask what we would do if we suddenly woke up biologically as another sex, as gender is a social construction. But anyway, I would presumably randomly wake up as a male.

I would capitalise on the greatest advantage that a man has over a woman (besides not having to deal with what we have to regularly deal with) that is: being able to pee wherever you want and without much mess or fuss. I would drink so much liquid that my bladder would be at near bursting point. I would then find a bush and revel in the glorious novelty of just being able to quickly answer the call of nature just as primordial order had intended, zip up and walk off. I may even aim my newly acquired hose and have fun targeting at whatever while I'm doing it. Peeing would never have been so much fun!

And in the meantime, I would be curious to experience what having nutsacks is like. It can't be comfortable to squeeze yourself in tight jeans with your prized possessions be squashed in there like that. Actually, would I want to experience the feeling? Maybe some thoughts are better left untouched. Heck, do I even want to think about what sex might be like from the other perspective?

Aside from what I have just written above (dear lord...), I suppose on an average day it won't be as dramatic as change as I would initially believe it to be. This assumes for the purpose of this thread that my friends and acquaintances aren't going to bat an eyelid at my sudden remarkable biological transformation. The people I know and socially interact with are typically people who are rather comfortable with being in a casual environment with members of the opposite sex, so there likely won't be some instant alienation you would expect to find among 11-year olds. I will continue to work and go through with my usual daily routines before nature decides to fix itself and revert me back to normal.

I have to warn you that man-peeing standing up isn't 100% mess free. I guess women are more restricted with where and when they can go (either when they are out in the wild, or perhaps they are queuing up for 10 minutes waiting for their turn), but once they do go I'm sure they're at least over the bowl - although I guess there is much room for error there too. Men? They have to stand sometimes at quite a height from the bowl (or urinal), and then when the stream of urine gushes out and hits it then it can splash back. That's before considering that in public urinals some men don't step close enough to the urinal bowl (either because of exaggerated concepts of how long their member is, or because they want to avoid the splash-back effect). Because some men don't stand close enough to the bowl then it can go all over the floor. Once one man does that then the person who follows (and doesn't want to stand in a puddle of someone else's making) has to step even further back, and before the end of the night the room has become Lake Wee.

As for the other stuff... This is why manspreading shaming on public transport goes too far. It's a bad thing if a man is taking far too much space up and isn't considering the people around him, but if he is simply spreading a little bit, or there is nobody else about him then that is no bad thing at all. It's what needs to be done if there is to be any chance of the man having children, etc. It's less about male privilege than it is about not wanting to squash the most delicate part of a man. It would be akin to asking women to wrap a band of cloth around their breasts to flatten them so that there is more space on the train. Well, okay, not quite, but yeah...

-

As for myself... It would be an interesting experience to be Tiresias and become a woman for a day (or more), but it isn't one I've thought about much.

I think it would be a bit weird if I started fondling myself, etc, so I wouldn't do anything sexual. Although it'll probably be easier to get into a relationship as a woman, I don't think I'd want to be followed around by men so much. I guess I could be a lesbian woman, but it would be cruel to pursue romance under false pretenses.

I guess it would be interesting where friendships, etc, are concerned. As a woman I might receive more emotional support from peers. I could then have the luxury of deciding whether that's too much to bear (the constant phone calls and hugs, etc - although I'm not saying that all women get this support, but there is a higher chance of it), and perhaps I'd like to be back to being myself and keeping private.

There's not much else I could do which would be different. I'd still be me.

Back