Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
23rtxs4.jpg

I'm usually a casual kind of artist when it comes to drawing, so I've never really had much experience with more "realistic" kind of sketches. Therefore I'm still technically an amateur, and I'm not expecting the following pieces of work to be perfect in any way. I'm putting this together and I'll hopefully add more and more pieces as time goes by and build up a collection.

The following pieces in this first post are posted in chronological order. Comments and critiques are welcome. =D

2075lxg.jpg

1) Serah. My first attempt. Notice I've coloured in her eyes (when I probably shouldn't have) and that her eyes themselves look a little weird. And I can't get her expression right. She looks really nervous here.

j17vr8.jpg

2) Snow and Serah. Serah's face still looks weird (it was not meant to look like that at all). The guns......kind of suck. I must have been sleepy when I tried to draw them because they don't even look like guns at all. In fact, ignore that they're there.

2mru1ol.jpg

3) Raines. I've just noticed that he's not fully shaded in. There are bits that are still blank. And his face also looks odd.

103ubna.jpg

4) Yeah...weird monster there. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, this was my entry to the Birthweek drawing competition.

34q5umc.jpg

5) Stella. I really shouldn't have coloured in her eyes at all. It does ruin it in my opinion. And I personally think her face should be slightly wider.

whmkoo.jpg

6) And for something non-FF related: RE's Claire Redfield. If the shading is off, it was probably because I only had an HB pencil at hand. I love this one, although I'm still uncomfortable with her facial shape.

Last edited:
I think Raines and Stella was my favorite out of the drawing's that you posted up. I really like the detail of Raines you did really good with his clothing. I'm sure you put a lot of effort and hard work into it and i like it =) Even though Stella's face (like you've said) could maybe be a little wider, it look amazing I think. I'm no artist myself so, I can't exactly give you constructive advice but, keep practicing! =D

Would love to see more later on =]

I rather like the touches with the eye colours

I love your shading and detail, though some of the faces do need some work (it's my major drawback, and your faces are WAY better than mine) bit more toning on them I think is what they need, just to give them a tad more depth - you've nailed it on the last one :ryan:

You've got a really good eye for detail, the finer points, especially on the detailing of clothing and the hair is all brilliant (the last one is my favourite :ryan:)

Really good stuff, keep it up!!

Excellent work Olivia, looking good on Claire and Cid. Those two stand out above the rest! Keep up the good work, and eager to see more.

Thank you, everyone! And I do agree, it's the faces that are my weakness. Capturing the right facial mood on paper....isn't easy at all, and I'll work on that.

Well, seeing as the Birthweek Drawing Competition is finally over, I can now add in the entry I made. It should be put in the first post about now.

Olivia you showed me all of these througout the week and I just love them. You did a great job on all of them and I would say I really Like the Claire one. It looks like her alot actually. Also Stella despite her narrow face looks like the real one. The Lightning one is also great. Even if the faces are not right for some of em Olivia, Just be happy You tried. Cause I can not draw like you xD. Cid Raines one of the toughest characters to draw! I mean You did great! <333 Hey remember if you ever wanna show me anything else Go for it! And I am glad you chose that title! For the thread anyway xD

I really cannot find a flaw in the Claire drawing. That's by far my favorite one out of the bunch. Looks extremely realistic. :8F:

As for the Stella one, which is my second favorite, I think you did her face perfectly. I've seen some people go overboard with the wideness of people's faces and in the end it just looks... bloated. So I think you did it just slim enough.

The only thing that I can mention as critique would be the faces, but going from top to bottom it's greatly improved.

OMG Fleur I didn't know you can draw so well :D I really like the one with lightning you captured her highly complex uniform damn Tetsuya Nomura he makes ppl think twice about drawing his creations. You did a great job and the chocobos expression priceless X3
Hope you do more I enjoy your work:D

/blows cobwebs aside

Almost forgot I had this thread - may as well revive it. Well, I haven't done much over the past year or so, only a couple of pieces depicting a couple of my RP characters.

Wiselconceptart.png

Brigadier General Wisel concept art - FFXIII: The Butterfly Effect

ocVA9.jpg

Gemma Clancy - Destiny

Wisel looks too anime-ish there, and the camera I used was crappy, so the quality suffered a bit. I know the close-up of her face looks totally off to me, but I was simply more focused in showcasing her armour and weapons rather than make a realistic sketch - which in this case is anything but realistic. :lew:

Drawing Gemma took me absolutely ages. I did use a model to base her on and I'm actually quite happy with the result. I tried to aim for that emotionless look on her face (to go with her character), and I guess it looks convincing enough.

The hair was an absolute bitch to do, as were the lips. It's always the lips that I struggle with. No matter how often I attempt at the lips, they always end up looking absolutely weird. Here I'm just a little dissatisfied with the positioning (too far to the right of her face?). Her eye does seem overly wide, which was probably because I'm still influenced by manga and anime designs in a way. Shading not perfect I acknowledge as I only had one HB pencil.

I am sure that sketch took you ages to do Livi.. but you know what? It was all worth it in the end. I absolutely love that sketch of Gemma and I think you did a fantastic job on it. She really does look emotionless so you did a good job there! The lips are actually very well done in my opinion. The hair is amazing.. even if it was a bitch to do.. like you say. I always love your art Livi and it is just getting better! The lips do not look weird at all, but hey I am happy to see you liked what you sketched. Very amazing job here if I do say so myself.

Hrm, as a fellow artist, I come with advice!

I think one of the first things you want to focus on is the lips. By making such strong outlines of the lips you make them pop out a lot and look kinda awkward. Try making softer outlines of the lips and experiment with erasing some of the lining completely, so that you end up with only half-outlines of the lips, and see how that looks. The outline of the limps must be soft while still giving the general shape. :3 Try it out and you'll see it makes faces look much more sophisticated!

On the other hand, I think you have a wonderful eye and hand-work for detail and I really envy that! I haven't worked on paper with pencils for a while but I still remember what a nightmare it is to work without smudges and you're doing great! Plus you have lovely handwriting. :3 Keep it up! *gives cookie*

Oh awesome, thank you so much for the compliments and the tip! I think I may have done something similar to that before, but nevertheless I still wasn't happy with the final thing. The perfectionist in me hardly ever lets me off and at times I may end up rubbing out what was perhaps already a decent-looking facial feature. xD

Oh, thanks for posting, I almost forgot to update this thread. To those of you who do follow the Destiny SU/D thread, you'll probably have already seen it. Here's my second character from the Destiny RP:

vofIY.jpg

Lucie Robinson - Destiny

Lips are totally off in this one, as are her spookily large anime eyes again. I think I totally need some more practice drawing faces properly. It's always the part I leave till the end, even if I'm already shading the rest of the body. :olivia:

Lucie does not look all too bad as I have said before. In fact I think she looks really great. You are always freaking out over the lips though Livi! xD The lips are not bad as I have told you before. Well, I thought the eyes were pretty well done as well. I love the whole drawing of Lucie. Just remember that you did well here. Even if you spent a huge amount of time on it. Oh and remember that you actually draw your RP characters and not take some random image off the internet. :olivia: You only use a model image and they look pretty accurate when comparing them in the end. :yay: I like Lucie a lot and she is almost up there with Gemma. :lew: You know I love your drawings.. so keep them coming. :adri:

=) You're welcome sweetie, I'm always willing to lend advice as well as receive it too! Keep up the good work. *gives a cookie*

Update tiemz

6MyzC.png

To those signing up for the Witches of Aether RP, you'll probably know who this is supposed to be.

I think I got better, though body proportion is still a little odd. I'm looking at the rather big head more than anything, though I suppose I can push it and say it could be to do with camera perspective or something. Still, it's an all-round good piece in my opinion and I'm pleased about it. :ryan:

She reminded me of FFX Yuna at first for some reason xD. I absolutely love her. I am glad you are pleased about it, Livi :ryan: I am glad you think you did a good job this time around. Despite the other rp's being canceled, I still love your previous pieces. I really love her character so far, and the sketch is just so good. <3 As I always say, at least you take the time to draw your characters, because in my opinion they are just so lovely. Very beautiful job, Livi! :yay: I really love the hair and I think the body is just fine. :ryan:

My first go at sketching two of my friends. :ryan:

Still in progress, as you can see.

uBC3z4H.jpg

aPnaQHf.jpg

Now to see if I can actually get this finished.

My first go at sketching two of my friends. :ryan:

Still in progress, as you can see.

uBC3z4H.jpg

aPnaQHf.jpg

Now to see if I can actually get this finished.
I am jealous of your talent *cries in a corner* if only I could draw half as good as that, keep up the fantastic work :D

And (sort of?) done!

I'm hesitant to do anymore tweaking, because I'm going to end up leaving a few more unsightly creases on the paper at this rate, so I ended it here. I had wanted to tweak her face a bit, especially the eyes and mouth, but despite her currently looking older than she is, I was absolutely terrified of it going badly wrong.

~Full resolution~

kPFKryO.jpg

Back