Personality traits of your parents

Dr. Percival Cox

My old posts make me cringe
Veteran
Gil
What certain personality quirks do you take from your parents? Do you feel pride in the habits you've obtained from your parents or are you ashamed? Do your parents have traits that you hate or admire? The point is for you to analyze how you differ from your parents.

I've developed certain traits from both my mother and father. From my mom, I got my ability to forgive, my acceptance of other's beliefs, and I'm unable to hold a grudge. From my father, I learned...Well, I haven't really picked up any good traits. I'm short on patience, I'm contradicting, and I'm stubborn in my debates (I'm aware of how that contradicts what I learned from my mom but I'm kind of a nut job anyway). He's got a few other really bad traits but I'm not going to go into that because I'm trying not to turn this into a rant. Of course, it's worth noting that it's been said numerous times that we're individual human beings with free will and the ability to shape ourselves in a way that makes us unique. On the other hand, it's been proven that certain psychological traits become part of the child when exposed to a constant negative atmosphere. I find sometimes that I can be just like my dad and I really hate that. I'm not trying to entirely blame him for all the negative little things about me. That wouldn't be fair. But to say that he's had no effect on my psyche would be bullshit. Trying to change a thinking pattern is a very difficult thing to do and can't be done quickly.

Anyway, take the time to look over yourselves and all of the things that your parents do that you find yourself doing and deicde whether or not your feel content with it.

Interesting topic is interesting.

I find myself comparing my behaviors to my parents often. Like way too often. Anyway, we'll start with my least favored parent: mon pere. My dad has this terrible tendency to play the blame game, he always victimizes himself, and points the finger at other people. Granted, I don't do this however what he does have that I've miraculously picked up is tons and tons of tolerance. He never looks down on someone for being different whether it be because of their sexual orientation or their religion or culture--he's very accepting and willing to learn. In that sense I admire him a lot since I've become increasingly (if it's even possible) more tolerant of people.

From my mother I've gotten the short fuse. My mother can't wait in long lines, she constantly gives in to (nonviolent) road rage and seethes for a while only to go off, ignore you, and cool down. I do the exact same thing. It could just be a learned behavior, something I picked up instinctively since she's raised me half of my life as both mommy and daddy. I associate the bulk of my traits from her anyway. My altruism I get from her, she's willing to help someone if they need it, lend someone something if it's necessary, but she respects the same kindness in return. My stubbornness and unwillingness to ever shut the hell up is also from her . . . except . . . well we butt heads sometimes because of this. Oh God I could go on forever, even my sense of humor is somewhat influenced from her: really sarcastic, witty, and biting. But the biggest traits that I've gotten from her so far is my love and appreciation of art, my creativity, and my drive. Also I left one more thing out, coldness, my mom can be somewhat . . . hard to approach or rather she's not really super talkative. She's not like a social butterfly, more of a wallflower until she gets comfy with people.

I'm the exact same way which is weird. The looks? That's ultimately from my dad. My aunt constantly points how much we look alike. Same straight nose, long-lashed eyes, long face, etc.

Last edited:
Good thread! =)​

Anyways, I have some bad traits and good i guess from both of them.
Unfortunately, more bad traits from my dad then my mom =/
------
Mom:
Forgiveness- My mom was always a forgiving person and I tend to forgive easily.
Procrastination- I remember chatting with my mom one day after she got a call from one of my teachers because I didn't do the work due to procrastination she told me that she was the same way xD
Competitive edge- I have to say, i'm a poor loser and I get it from my mom. Whether it be in a sporting event or a board game I am very competitive.
Looks- I very much look like my mom xD. I remember one day we were at the store and some guy says: "Are you two sisters? because you guys look like twins." Goooooooooooooood timmmesssss. :rofl:
Shyness- My mom (especially at parties) would tend to be the quiet one unless addressed. I guess i'm that way too =/ I wish I was more outgoing like my dad. I tend to laugh a lot when I don't know what to say lol.
Adventurous- I love to travel and go to new places/ try new foods instead of being stuck doing the same thing I like getting out and doing things.
All I could think of for her atm but, i'll add more later if I think of something.
------
Dad:
Selfishness- I'm selfish for the most part. I was a total brat when I was younger and wouldn't share 'cause i'm selfish.
Laziness- I'm absolutely lazy and it takes some motivation. It kind of bugs me. If i wasn't so lazy maybe I could get more things done xD.
Short-tempered- Even though i'm a nice person, I can get mad easily. Though i've gotten better, still.
Stubborn- I'm ssssssssssoooo freakin' stubborn like, no lie. We can go back and back and forth but i'll always be right.
Impatient- My dad would always complain: "What's taking so long Amy for the damn food?" He just could not waaaiit. I'm very impatient too.
Rebelliousness- I was always the first to act out. I would constantly be getting in fights with my dad because we are so much alike. I also tend to have a bad-mouth.
Worry Wart- My dad was constantly stressed out. Even though it may not always seem like it, I worry about little things. Like in school, I would worry about grades etc etc.
Closed off- I don't think i've said this on the forums but my father was in a previous marriage before my mom-- and she was the man in the relationship.She was the one making the money etc etc I guess do to the failure of their marriage he's had a lot of trust issues and he's a toughie to break down. Some here. Maybe not trust issues but more so being closed off. I rather keep it to myself.
----
Pretty much sum's up who I am :monster:
Even though I have flaws (more so from my dad) I'm proud of who I am. So, i'm not ashamed at all. It's what sets us all apart.​

I've got both my parents quick tempers, mother especially, and the main thing i get from her, which is the bane of BOTH our lives is rage reacting to a situation. If only we could let outselves calm down THEN react to whatever it is that has wound us up. Seriously, we KNOW we are doing it as well, but the heat of the moment. That's probably the biggest flaw I've gotten off her - oh and the fact I don't tend to be very open about how I'm feeling about stuff, summat I HAVE been working on recently (well trying) bottling things up is never a good idea, coz then i rage react, its like a vicious circle xD

I think Ive probably got my dads alcoholic tendencies... not sure if that counts as a personality trait...well no it could I guess, addictive personality...or whatever.... easily addicted to shit ]:

I've got my dads sense of humour as well - easily excitable. Probably his laid back attitude as well (when Im not having a rage) though, luckily I got my mothers sensible side when it comes to life, if i cant afford it I wont have it, though I do on occasion, have a splurge, as long as I know all it means is money will be abit tight rather than in place of a bill or something important. I'm glad I got summat useful off one of them, I seem to have got their worst traits all rolled into me :8F:

Nice topic. I may even drop down a post myself, but not right now, I've got to think on it a little more. But anyways, moving to the appropriate section.

*Thread moved to Costa del Sol*

Ive got my parents temper, both have quick tempers. I look like my mum when she was my age, freaks my dad out lol. Got my mums height, sadly :( my dads pretty tall and mums small. My hair was blonde like my dads when I was younger, then it went brunette like mums. Got Dads eyes and his attitude. Dads humor and love of old comedys is something I like, mum likes soap operas and that kinda crap. So Im a good mixture of the pair of them.

I pick up most of my traits form my Mom really, I am barely like my Dad. I mean Me and my mom are nearly the same in the way we think but I can't say I took any trait or anything like that from my Dad.

Mom; Lets see I took my clumsiness from her, my stubbornness, my cleanliness for sure, my anger fits, my sensitivity, love of Science and crying easily was definitely one I took from her -- I know cause people say that we fake it ;)

Last edited:
I'm more like my mother, and my brother is the spitting image of my father, it's quite scary. They're at each others throats all the time, and my brother swears he's nothing like my dad, even though he's basically his mini-me.

Anyhoo. Although I'm more like my mother, I still have a few of my father's traits, I think.

Mum's traits.

We both live in the land of going to do. I've noticed this lately. She'll say she'd going to do something, and then do it days/weeks later, I'm just the same xD If my dad says he's going to do something, it gets done when he says it is.

Humour. My mum's very sarcastic and witty, I think I get that off her. We always have a lot of fun banter, the two of us.

Competitiveness. Me and my mum always like to win. It's awful when we argue, we always try and have the last word.

Money management. My mum likes to spend her money, she says it's called disposable income for a reason. I agree with her. I'm awful with money, if I've got it, I'll spend it.

Temper. My mum doesn't lose her temper often, she normally walks away from an argument if she can, or she'll say her piece and be done with it. I tend to do the same. But when we lose our temper... it's explosive, and scary.

I can't think of any thing more direct, but I'm a lot like my mum. Like, we both try and stay out of arguments that go on in the house, while my brother and dad will not let go at all, we're both more likely to just walk away. I also agree with my mother more than anyone else in the world, we have the same morals and beliefs, so we don't clash that often.

Dad's traits.

Stubbornness. Once my father gets an idea into his head, he will not let it go. I'm just the same, really.

Work ethic. My Dad very much believes that if you start something, you have to finish it. And while it may take me ages to actually start something, once I do, I always try and finish it.

That's about it. I don't have much in common with my dad really. When I'm in the car with my mum, we can chat till the cows come home. I've been known to sit in the car with my dad, in silence, for two hours >_>

There's probably more, but I can't think right now. I may edit later xD

I think it's pretty even on both sides really.

Mom's traits:

-We are both shy and reserved at social events.
-Nerds, we watch a lot of movies and play video games. She likes to play The Legend of Zelda while I like Final Fantasy. She likes to watch when I play FF13. xD
-Calm and low tempered
-Hardworking
-Humorous
-Kind
-Tends to not listen when not interested in the conversation subject.

Dad's traits:

-We are both a bit desorientated and have short memories. XD
-Bad manners lol
-Unpatient
-Humourous
-Honest
-Hardworking

I'm not so proud of the bad manners and shy and reserved part, but generally I am proud of the personlity traits I got from my parents.

Honestly, the single one that I can pick up is the bad temper that I get from Mother. Her and I get upset very easily and just snap towards anyone and at any rate, we don't care who they are or if we're right to snap. We just do. Though, I can say that I'm a little better than Mother, I anger easily and quickly for reasonable matters, Mother just gets annoyed and pissed at almost everything.

Just in the same, I'm better at regaining my composure than Mother is. It only takes me about 4 minutes while Mother can stay angry for the rest of the day...and maybe the ext day, too. o_o

The only real personality trait that I share with either and both of my parents is my anger/aggressiveness. I tend to get pissed off quite quickly and end up taking things to heart even if there meant as a joke and I usually end up getting agressive towards them.

As a bunch of drunk dickheads who thought they where all that found out on saturday night last week :hmmm:
Three broken knuckles from that incident and thats how I have obtained most of my injuries in the recent years.

I think I might need to see someone about it because its getting me into quite a bit of trouble around where i live with all the guys who know the ones who picked a fight last saturday.....

(Sorry if I got sidetracked tis the easiest way to vent my anger without violence)

Well let's see here...

Mom:

Shyness. Actually I've learned to grow out of it these past few years, but I definitely got this trait from her. I heard from others who knew her well that she was quite the shy one, especially with boys, and I was the same while growing up. Well, although please don't ask me how I was able to have a baby at age 17. I guess I'm not always that shy. ;)

Likes to be alone. Oh yes, I was such a hermit up until I was 14. I loved being alone, my room locked and I won't come out. Needless to say, my mom was also the same. Heck, she locked me and my brother in our room when we were kids just so we can take naps. The way she saw it was: "take your nap or you don't go outside to play." Ah, funny memories. But I guess I sorta adapted to that routine, even though I grew up without her. And even now, I still like being by myself although I don't typically prefer it these days. It depends who I'm with.

Dad:

Temper. Believe it or not, I've got a major one. The catch is, I'm also like my mom: I'm quiet about it and I'm able to control it. My dad can be the worst jackass in the world by throwing insults left and right and would go on about it for days, but all these years, not once did I ever talk back to him. I just took it, but each time it pisses me off. Well actually there is that one time (5 years ago) I yelled at him in front of my mom back in the Philippines and walked out of the house. I had forgotten about my daughter and left her there with all that arguing all around us - see what temper can do to someone? Not my proudest moment. But other than that, I've learned to suppress my anger; and if you do catch a glimpse of my temper, you'll know I'm holding the rest of it back.

I can't really think of anything else other than that from my dad. Thank God.

So to summarize: Mom's traits + Dad's traits =

Sense of humor. I obviously did not get this one from either one. :smartass:

Last edited:
I'm a bit of both.

I hate some traits and like others.

My mother is the one I get my habits from mainly.

I have very good values and morals from her upbringing but I also have had paranoia, a short-temper etc been passed down and it's very hard to get rid of those traits as it's how I was brought up and embedded in me pretty much. =/

Most traits I get from Mother. Great morals/values, honest, considerate, patient, not judgmental, but very direct/blunt (and even more so than her), and a perfectionist to a fault.

I don't know my Father that well, so I couldn't really say there.

I have to correct someone if I know what they said is wrong, not because it annoys me but because the information is incorrect. I have seen my dad do this too, so I might get it from him I guess. I sit the same way as him too

I use a lot of the same phrases as my mam does though

Ill start with my dad sense its the postive one,Im not very good at facial qualties so i cant tell you anything on that. But from my dad I get my niceness from him,my dad is a super nice person and every time he makes a promise and says he gonna do something (example if he says he will pick you up he's always their) I got that from him and thats why I feel so strongly at sticking by whatever I say its like a sin to me If I let someone day when their counting on me. I get my honesty and hard labor from him,he gets the job done and thats exactly me, I like getting everything done on time or before, I do all my work when i was in school I never stood in the hallway im always early (was a teachers pet too). My whole reason to why i believe in treating others like they treat you is because of my dad he's the same way.

Now reading that you may think im the nicest person in the world right? well ill let you think whatever after i tell you the negative my mom

My mom has an attitude problem,she's pissed off alot,angry person and when she gets mad yes she's not scared to hurt you (never forget seeing my mom beat the holy hell out of one of her friends she just met) I get all of this from my mom and alot of it. Even she realized i had her attitude (she never stops telling people that and i wish she would stop) I hated it, cause I never liked the idea that I get pissed at the stupidness things, was really angry alot late middle school and freshman year upto mid junior year. I got pissed at alot of stuff. However the thing im glad about it is my dads traits which kept me leveled and im gneerally nice, its why if your nice to me and im really nice back, if your mean then im meaner. I also heard my mom was a bully but I never bullied anyone mainly my dads traits stopped me from doing that. I hated it so much but at the same time it was a GOOD thing, because of it I never got picked on and nobody wanted to mess with me in high school a few tried but failed. that attitude of mine is what kept me strong, Im never scared to stand upto others if i have to cause im not a weakling. I decided I needed to better myself so although i will always have this trait I still changed how quickly i get pissed off, freshman year never forget one girl was just asking for it and nobody knew me at all, but when they saw me holding her up agaisnt the board in the air choking her they looked pretty scared if you ask me. people who went to school me have all seen my outburts angry moments in class yes in front of a teacher i just didnt care (yet their confused im a good student and i never get in trouble my dads trait helped me stay good and loyal) In my junior year I successfully bettered myself and got rid of most of my moms angry habits, now I still ge tpissed but not as easily, and not over stupid things... i knew i succeed when a teacher who i had every year (was my teacher in 9th and 10th and i took her class just because in 11th cause i love her) told me i changed since she first saw me in 9th grade. Now a days Im generally nice and yes I speak my mind, but if you piss me off I cant help but act like my mom your gonna pay.

I also get my strong sense of courage from my mom, dont know if any of you are a wrestling fan (but she's like a beth phoneix) very physical and because of it I considered myself a strong willed person, its why im not scared of anything cause I know I can fend for myself. And lastly Talking smack,trash talking,etc I also get from my mom, I rarely insult people and enver enjoyed it for fun but when you do see me bad mouthing someone yes i got it from her. I also cuss because of my mom, she cusses way too much and my dad doesnt it, so i know the reason I cuss alot is because my mom does it and always did it around us when we was little :I

Hmmm Its a strange I always wondering whyI like japanese stuff, i like japanese culture,music,games,etc My mom no way she doesnt like anything like that or cloe to it. But i think my dad would be the reason why cause he likes karate stuff,bruce lee and jet li and all that so he might be the reason.

Overall Even though I didnt like my moms traits It did help me through my school days, and its why im such a strong person so im thankful for that. Im so nice ebcause of my dad but my moms traits keeps me leveled at nice and bad which is why i stick to treating others how they treat you (why i beleive in that and ill respond well to negative or postive sides) xD

:hmmm: I can't say I've got many traits off my mum besides her looks. I was more of a daddy's girl so my personality grew to mimic his.

From dad I inherited:
Stubbornness,
Short temper,
Good manners,
Sense of humour,
Sarcasm.

The first two are not such great things hahaha but I am glad I have his sense of humour :grin:

I got the habit of winding people up from my father. He used to do it to me until I realised what he was doing. Now I do it to him and watch him rage. I'm also quite argumentative which I get from him. I swear a lot and so does he, but so does everyone.

Besides that there's not a lot. I learnt what I didn't like about my parents and stopped doing it. I don't know who I inherited my general miserableness from, but I had a great grandfather or something like that who topped himself so that's probably where.
A lot of my family are cunts, but far worse than me.

I got my sense of elitism from both my parents, but I am a member of the elite so that's fully justified.
I also have a superb sense of humour which I got from both parents.
My humility is something I had to learn.

This is an interesting thread idea :lew:

I swear, it is true though. Its amazing what we pick up from our parents. I was watching the news last month and they had a brief excerpt about how when your mom eats certain things while she is pregnant with you, that you'll likely end up liking them yourself when you get older. They showed how babies whose moms ate green beans while they were pregnant ended up loving them when they started eating solid foods...and you could definitely tell the ones who didn't like them by the faces they made and how they tried to get away from the spoon...and all I could think about was that was one of those "can't make me!" moments :wacky:

...Anyways. Truth be told. I'm a bit of a clone of my dad. We get along really well and we also share a lot of the same personality traits. We are both pretty quiet and keep-to-ourselves kind of people. But, we do like spending time with our friends on occaision and etc. We also have the same brand of humor :lew: Very little of me has any of the traits of my mom...except maybe I get a little of OCD from her. I like things pretty clean and I take my perfectionism with me to work. Other than that we are really different people.

I suppose my general bitchiness comes from my mother. She is never, ever satisfied with anything, and neither am I; we're both extremely critical and have ridiculously high expectations that no mortal or god could ever hope to satisfy. Although my endless criticism of things is something I developed during my youth to annoy her, because she was constantly pissing me off with her bitchiness...she still DOES piss me off with it. The bitchiness I inherited from her, but the manner in which I convey it is all me; she's more "blatantly subtle" about things, whereas I'm painfully direct about it.

I didn't really inherit anything from my father. I used to have his temper, but have since learned to suppress it (which people might believe to be BS, but believe me, you'd know if I was angry, I'd get infracted within five minutes) and mother would say (and has said, repeatedly, every time she's annoyed with me) that I've inherited my stubborness from him as well. We both have this alarming habit of immediately spending any money as soon as it enters our hands as well, on things that we don't really need.

Back