What Genre of Music Do You Like?

Testra

CHANGE!, You can believe in
Gil
Does anyone else have such a mixed taste in music?
I listen to anything from Eminem to Eyes Set To Kill and pretty much anything in between.

I certainly don't. Some people seem to think that having an eclectic in music is something of which to be proud, like being well read, I disagree. Also some people take pride in the fact that they listen to really obscure bands.
As I said, I don't listen to a very wide range of music, I'd say Rock and Alternative are about 90% of what I listen to.

If I like a song, I like it. I don't listen to everything a band, group or solo artist does because I like one of their songs. I wouldn't call my taste in music "eclectic". I'm not even sure if I have a specific taste in music, I just like what I like. If I like a song by a metal band, and another song by a cheesy pop group, that doesn't make me any less of a person than one who listens to one specific type of music. But it doesn't make me any better either, just different.

I'd say I listen to a wide variety of music but I definitely have my preferences. :hmmm:

I can pretty much listen to anything that sounds good but like fairydust said, I might like one or two songs by a band but not really listen to or enjoy the rest of their music (AC/DC is a perfect example). I'd say my tastes lean mostly towards classic rock, rock and alternative but I do branch out to other genres a bit as well.

@ .:fairydust:. thats pretty much my views on my tastes in music. I listened to a couple of songs by a band and like them I add them to my list of music, usually it means adding a new genre to my list :O

I'm basically the same as fairydust, I'm not restricted to any certain genre of music. The only things I don't like are country and rap, otherwise, I like anything out there, from orchestra to metal to alternative to retardation. If you asked me what bands I like, I wouldn't have an answer. Haha.

An infinite list of songs is what my itunes is currently looking like :O I keep meaning to sort the damn thing out but the prospect of spending five days six hours and 32 minutes finding out whether or not I want each song still is too daunting and tiring even in my mind :D

Seeing as how the title of the thread was not at all detrimental to the actual topic of the thread, I took the liberty of changing the thread title to something more appropriate. This is also a good generic topic, so I'm going to sticky it as well. :awesome:

*Thread title editted and stickied*

Most things I listen to are either alternative, classic rock, metal or instrumental rock. I do have the occassional oddity in my collection. Something in the pop area and possibly in the reggae area as well. The only things I don't listen to are rap and country. But I pretty much like a song from any other genre.

I'l listen to most shit really, bar RnB and Hip Hop, if I like the sound of it, then that'll do, I never really know what shit falls into what genres anyway - I find it just depends what mood Im in, I might have a bit of Ramstein on one day, Mariah the next :8F:

:P excactly my friends all try and find something to do with my taste in music to take the piss out of but to be honest if they wanna waste their lives listening to the same shite over and over again then I wont stop them :P

I certainly don't. Some people seem to think that having an eclectic in music is something of which to be proud, like being well read, I disagree. Also some people take pride in the fact that they listen to really obscure bands.

I agree. Listening to everything isn't even poor taste. It's no taste. Besides, listening to anything from African chant music to grindcore and classical would be eclectic. Listening to everything they play on the radio isn't.

Personally I only ever really listen to classic rock and heavy metal. Occasionally I will put on some blues, old school rythm and blues or even some country, but all that stuff comes from the same roots really, so it's all rock'n roll to me...

Well I'm one of those people that listen to everything except for some reason I've tried country and can't really tolerate it. So sue me.

But otherwise than that I listen to: classic rock, indie rock, synth rock, folk rock, heavy rock, heavy metal, neue deutsch harte, industrial rock, Christian rock, garage rock, punk rock, pop, power pop (stfu, it's awesome in averaged out doses :) ), pop/rock, J-pop, J-rock, J-Urban, K-pop, K-rock, K-Urban (Epik High all freaking day!), hip-hop (underground only, folks), dance, electronica, ambient, house, nu-jazz, r&b, and yeah there's a lot more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

As I said, I don't listen to a very wide range of music, I'd say Rock and Alternative are about 90% of what I listen to.

I'll have to say about the same. 90% of what I listen to is definitely my favourite. Punk Rock Alternative. I don't go out of my ways to find songs out of that genre either.

However, if I hear a rap song, that I might actually like, (there's some Eminem songs out there and a few others I can't remember the name of) that I actually like as well.

So basically, if I like a song, I like it, whether it be country, pop, R&B, Hip Hop, or screamo for all I care.

In the end, I'm just the same old punk rock chick I suppose. :hmmm: It's where my heart is at. :ryan: That, and good lyrics. <3

The only person I can really blame for my mixed tastes in music is my father for he brought me up listening to the likes of techno, gary numan and James along with later on introducing me to Eminem and The Madness. From then on if I liked a song by any band, artist or group I liked it. Simple as really.

Although my taste in music has caused me to take many a beating when the local dickheads decide to go out and about 'Grunger' or 'Emo' bashing. -__- Simple minded creatures they are.

But nonetheless if I like a band or artists work I will more then likely end up listening to them again.

Rock (Classic and some modern)
Metal
Some Alternative

Those are my big three, although I have a slight (read; VERY) limited taste for some pop music and I generally like the older stuff by Perry Como or Bing Crosby for relaxing/winding down in the evening. Now, I fully acknowledge that some pop songs are catchy, but catchy doesn't always equal good.

Rap: I've found the only time I like any rap is when it's couched in an actual song (you know, with instruments and whatnot). Case in point; Gorillaz.

Old 80's pop techno, and Hard Rock from any day. I really liked the Punk stuff, not Simple Plan, Simple Plan is not Punk Simple Plan sucks -- More like Green Day (Old School) and Blink 182.

I think that each genre of music is unique and deserves recognition. It is just people expressing themselves in the way that they know. I love all genres of music i think that they are just different things telling the same stories in a different way.

I like a veriety of music really.

If I like it I like it ya know? I don't really care what genre it is.

I like mostly

Rock

Hip Hop

some rap

R&B

a little country

Alternative

you name it.

I mainly listen to songs for their lyrics and their beat. If it's got me hooked then it's good :ryan: If it really has good lyrics that I can connect to then its a plus.

I used to just listen to music because I liked how it sounded but more recently I have started listening to the lyrics within the songs and the personal meaning within the lyrics of the songs, I also depending on the content of the lyrics I feel some of the songs I listen to narrate my life perfectly.

It makes me feel as if the songs where written to show how I've been feeling even though they weren't.

Does anybody know what I mean?

Back