What Genre of Music Do You Like?

Rap and hip-hop mainly...........but also RnB

But don't get me wrong on the rap.............

I don't listen to people like Lil Wayne,Drake,Soulja Boy etc

I more listen to people like Tupac,Eazy-E,Big-L,Nas,Eminem etc...........

So I guess you could say classic,old-school rap

That is the best sort of Rap in my opinion even though in recent times I think that apart from a few of his new songs Eminem is slowly losing his touch.

Does anyone else think this or is it just me?
I mean his music just doesn't have the same depth, seeing as he spent most of his relapse album slagging his mother off and blaming her for the way he is etc..

Progressive Rock/Progressive Metal like Tool, The Mars Volta, Smashing Pumpkins, King Crimson and tons of related bands.

But, also, Gorillaz and Depeche Mode are among my favorites.

That is the best sort of Rap in my opinion even though in recent times I think that apart from a few of his new songs Eminem is slowly losing his touch.

Does anyone else think this or is it just me?
I mean his music just doesn't have the same depth, seeing as he spent most of his relapse album slagging his mother off and blaming her for the way he is etc..

True I agree eminem is losing his touch,but he is trying to get back realeasing a few songs lately......As well as other artists such as Snoop Dogg and Nas......But altogether Rap/Hip-Hop was best in the 90's,it will probably never get back to normal with the death of Tupac and Biggie.

But now................

HipHopIsDead.jpg

That is true although I didn't get to listen to much Rap whilst in the 90's I am slowly making up for that by trying to listen to as much of the old school stuff as I can...

Not afraid is a pretty decent track in my opinion though the video is distracting from the lyrics as he decides he wants to become superman towards the end of the video. :hmmm: although it probably ties into the lyrics....

According to my last.fm account here are my top genres:
trueargoroverall.png

I guess that's essentially what I listen to. I can't lie, as it says it there. When I'm listening to music on my computer or my ipod or whatever those are the genres that I listen to most.

That said, those are only tags on last.fm. What is considered one genre by one person might be classed as another genre by somebody else. I've never been clear on genre distinctions. Some artists jump genre freely as they are being creative, and others are just quite bizarre and perhaps do not fit easily into a genre.

To me I listen to songs and artists, not genres. I find it hard to pick out what kind of genre some of the artists I listen to belong to. Some are obvious, but others are a little harder to figure out. I'd end up just labelling stuff as rock or pop (not so much meaning music which is popular) for the simplicity, but that isn't fair. When people ask me what genre of music I like I usually do not have a proper response.

I really hate questions like this. I feel so limited in my answers. In truth, there is no one genre I like. I would say that rather than a genre, it's more certain aspects of songs that interest me and so I like songs from a variety of genres and artists.

I may listen to lots of songs from one artist and dislike all the other artists in the same genre. For example, I think most country music is utter rubbish but there is one particular song that I love that is country.
Hell, I may like one song from an artist and hate all the other ones... which is a bitch when you buy CDs.

I don't understand music enough to say what exactly it is that draws me to a certain song to be honest.

So yeah... that's my weird answer. :mokken:

Last edited:
I to have trouble with the genres and have recently given up believing what Itunes decides to class it as for it keeps classing some heavy screamy music as metal? :hmmm: someone has very broad views of what metal is then....

But as you said I prefer to listen to bands and songs rather than genre's now because I have given up trying to find songs that fit into one genre as it seems alot of people have different ideas to what Itunes tells you...:hmmm:

Metal is my absolute favorite, no not kiddy stuff like Slipknot or Cradle of filth, but REAL metal, especially extreme metal like death/black metal. I also enjoy classical, ambient, classic rock, industrial music, basically anything with feeling. No radio/mainstream crap either.

Well I play trumpet and violin but that doesn't mean I listen to classical/band-ish type music very often...

I'm not sure I prefer one single genre. I love pop and rock, both alternative and classic. I HATE heavy metal, country and techno. I also love Jimmy Buffet (I'm a parrothead in the wrong generation). Fav bands/artists: MUSE, The Killers, The Sounds, Fireflight, Paramore, Coldplay, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry

I listen to everything!

Good Charlotte to Madonna to Fort Minor to Ayumi Hamasaki to Koda Kumi to Mariah Carey to Vanessa Carlton to ABBA to Cobra Starship to The Dixie Chicks to Dolly Parton to Reba McEntire to Elton John to Jem to Hilary Duff.

That should give you an idea of the width of my musical tastes. I can listen to any style, and like it in some part.

Everyone has their own choices when it comes to music although I sometimes feel influenced by others when I go out with mates etc. if their all listening to a certain I feel almost as if I have to listen to them too, but in the recent weeks I couldn't really give two shits what anyone thinks about my choice in music.

As to be honest what I listen to is my choice if you don't like it then keep your fat nose out and stop trying to listen to it then.

That's my honest opinion about people who comment on your choice of music etc.

Just a friendly reminder people, this is a thread where we discuss what genre of music we like. Can we keep the chit chat at a minimum please? If there is more you want to elaborate on with another member, then do so privately please. Thank you, continue.

I don't have a particular kind of genre that I listen to.

I love pop, rock, R&B, metal, nu-metal, dance and so on. I'm really more into my pop. Being raised in the 90's, I've been exposed to a lot of it and don't mind the cheesy stuff, although I can't stand half of it nowadays. On the other hand, I've gotten more into dance music with artists like Cascada, Agnes and Kelly Rowland releasing material under that genre and it becoming more popular in recent years.

I really don't go looking for bands, I tend to only really listen to fairly mainstream things, which usually ends up being pop/rock or indie. Getting quite in to a fair bit of dance/hip-hop since I'm fairly hitting the clubs recently.

I used to be really in to bands, listening to obscure albums and critiqueing them in to the ground but it was far too much effort, took away too much enjoyment...instead I'm quite happy liking whatever comes on next on the music channels (e.g. right now I'm content listening to California Girls and 5 minutes ago Brandon Flowers' solo song was on).

This does however make things like T in the Park a little bit of a hit and a miss depending on the line-up, I've not really struck gold like I did last year (where it was basically a massive festival dedicated to the top 10!)

I like rock. full stop. Though sometimes I don't like sharing my ipod with other people because they won't like the music I have. Most of my stuff is from 2004-05. I really don't like most of the music from now. If I like a song, I listen to the album, then I try to find more songs and see if I like them too. Thats why I like Evanescence and Linkin Park so much...

Sometimes Rock like that is a bit morbid for me, If I'm in a happy mood, I'll listen to something like Blink 182, or Good Charlotte, something a bit less depressing and a little more fun.

But yeah, I listen to rock, and the occasional Eminem =)

Eeverything from Dimmu Borgir to Rachmainov and Celine Dion to Dr. Dre.
So the music width from Classical to Black Metal and Hip Hop to Love Songs. Meaning I like a lot of music.

To be judged because of the music you listen to is as shallow as it a person who looks for someone with good looks as opposed to their personality, the sort of music may reflect a portion of what that person is like, but to judge someone by a song you hear them playing or singing etc. just proves that they cant be worth the time to get to know.

i actually listen to most type of music..im much into the lyrics and its beat...i dont mind what genre they are as long as i enjoy them

I doubt you'll find many others with a wider variety than me. I am just a genuine music lover and listen to anythign and everything I can get my hands on. I have spent a fortune on CD's and what not. I would say my favourite genre is probably EBM (Electronic Body Music) but I listen to anything really. Hip Hop, Punk, Ska, Humpaa, folk, tribal, Psychedelic. Anything. More often than not, it is somewhat electronic though. I guess you could see more from my Last.fm Even though I recently reset my tracks.

http://www.lastfm.se/user/Izale

Back