Phobia that controls your life.

I have a fear of tall buildings. Yeah, that's silly, but I can't stand looking up at a tall building. I guess it's a height thing. I also have a fear of falling off of something like stairs. I can't stand it when I have to go on the third floor of my school because i'm up so high and I always get scared I might fall. But I guess that's another height thing too. XD

I have styrophobia. I'll face water and heights with no fear at all, but not styrofoam...
I just hate the texture, sound, look, everything about it. I worry about it getting stuck in my fingernails when I touch it. When my school changed from plastic lunch trays to styrofoam, I wasn't to happy. XD

Spiders, they made it harder to level in WOW because I'm so scared of them.

i guess my phobia controlled my life today. I got a job offer from Dunkin Donuts today and i had to deny it because i just cant work with people. taking orders and catering to there every wish. i need the money but yup.

I have a fear of snakesand crocodiles, fortunately there are no snakes or crocodiles where I live, but they scare me none the less. Snakes are very scary because they can kill you with one bite, or they can crush you to death. Even as we speak a crushing snake/venemous snake hybrid is being bred in a labatory. Crocodiles are very scary because they are strong and ferocious and could also kill you with one bite, but they don't because they are sadists. They bite you and drag you along to a river/lake/swamp and drown you. I don't mean pussy American crocodiles either, I mean big ones that are 5 metres long and weigh even more than James. They trouble me because I don't think I would be able to outrun a crocodile or a snake in my wheelchair, so if a snake or crocodile sees me, I am as good as dead. I hope this does not happen.

For the longest time I was afraid of elevators.

Simply because I've seen movies where people get stuck in them for long periods of time and I'm rather claustrophobic. =/

When I was younger I would refuse to get into elevators and would always take the stairs. I would chuck the biggest hissy fits when my parents tried to force me into them. I simply would not go in. XD

This would ruin family outings and if an elevator was the only way up or down then we just couldn't go. =/ I feel bad for that now. >.<

Today I still am a little shaky when I hop in one, but not as bad as I used to be. =P

The other phobia I have is spiders. I have only gotten worse over time when it comes to this phobia. I freak out and can't rest till it's dead or at least out of the house.

They always seem to come at night as well, which ends up making us stay up til the early hours of the morning and missing out on much needed sleep. =0

WTF are snakesand crocodiles?
:rofl:

I have a fear of Spiders.........invasive little fuckers, fight like a man dammit!
goin around bititng people, annoying and painful and of course being Australia
we have plenty of species that can kill a man in 1 hour.

I hate spiders, thats about it though.....that and Dying under an Iceberg!

get used to the fact that you cant avoid them

hang out casually away from the balloons, when there are any.

get over being embarrassed, there is nothing you can do, people are going to see your phobia, and they aren't going to be able to understand. they are going to think your weird there is nothing you can do, that's just how people are.

also you might want to consider your phobia could be some sort of manifestation of an anxiety disorder or something. Especially if there is no real reason, or cause for your fear. If its bothering you so much, and controlling your life. go see a shrink and get some pills

I cringe at thinking of eating with dirty hands, I hate when things aren't organized and tidy, I HATE when my hands aren't fully dry after washing them, I absolutely hate when things are scooted back and don't line up. I have to fix them and get them perfect.
I just give in and fix what's bothering me. Any of them things listed are serious pet peeves of mine.

Though I wouldn't say it controls my life...

I hate elevators. You're trapping yourself in a box with metal doors that open and close on their own. And sure, the chance of something going wrong is super small. But eh. A while back I stumbled upon some videos on the Internet that kinda scarred me xD I guess it's not the elevator itself but the thought of getting caught in the doorway that bothers me ;___;

So yeah. I'll use them if I have to but 95% of the time I will opt to take the stairs just 'cause. Feel less lazy and it gives me more time to listen to my music that way anywho. I'm weird.

I have trypophobia. I never knew there was a term for it til I played Bloodborne. Those multi-eyed pigs at Nightmare of Mensis triggered me bt I loved the game too much not to finish it lol. When I see certain pictures of clustered holes I get the sweats, sometimes almost a panic attack n want to punch something really hard.

I am absolutely terrified of orb weaver spiders. We have mud dobber nests that show up in our house, and when I broke one open yesterday, I found four orb weavers chilling in the damn thing, I was horrified.
And they're the only spiders I'm actually afraid of!

How terrible it is.
I also have a fear of...not being able to hear the music in my head, you know?
I soundtrack my entire life, and losing my ability to hear music when I don't have headphones in.
That's scary on a whole new level.

Not sure if this counts, but I can't stand hair getting in my mouth when I'm eating or drinking food. As a kid I'd never drink my milk from my cereal bowl because It seemed like I could always see really tiny specs of fiber from the dust in the air.

If I notice hair in my food, even if it's my own, I try and pull it out and not think about it, but sometimes it's too much and I eject my food and sometimes dry heave. ):

Also, while a lot of people in the States love Halloween, I'm terrified of it! It's not just one thing in particular but a bunch of tiny things that piled up over the years that has made it worse. I hate the smell of the costumes, face paints and all that stuff. I also don't like gory things or anything visually violent and Halloween reminds me of that. I think The Last of Us is the only 'zombie' related genre I've enjoyed.

I can't eat food that is heavily colored (in general, but especially during Halloween) or anything that has a Halloween decorations or even figures on the box (Looking at you Count Chocula ): )

I know it's really stupid but I can't help it. I always loose a lot of weight during this holiday because the TV commercials make me not want to eat too. A lot of this stuff triggers a gag reflex.

Can't believe I haven't posted here!

@DaggerTribal I chuckled at the hair getting in your mouth when eating or drinking...how random! xD I guess I just wasn't expecting that kind of response, lol. What about cat hair?

...Because I have a bit of phobia when it comes to cat and dog hair getting on my clothes. Sue me! I take after my mom, she literally freaks out and takes out roller sticks. Actually it's not that bad anymore, I've learned to relax a bit more if hair gets on my clothes, like it's whatever now. I realized I was being stupid and silly. Cats are cool!

My husband's stepmom has a bunch of cats at her place, and often times I'll find cat hair on my plate of food. o.o That still bothers me a little though - animal hair on my food. Let me eat in peace? I always have to inspect in great detail what goes in my mouth, because I have pulled a couple cat hair out before...

I am also terrified of dogs...even chihuahuas! I've been viciously attacked by a few dogs in my childhood days and that's where the trauma comes from. I swear I was almost mauled to death by one who just gave birth to her puppies that same day! I was only four or five, but to this day I still remember lying on the ground with that angry beast on top of me, and I had sooo many bite marks. Yeah, that was insane!

Last edited:
Vomit. Don't like to do it, watch it, hear it, read about it, or know that someone is doing it. I got sick a looooot as a kid, and it exhausted me mentally. I used to avoid friends for a week or two after they got the flu, and I would lay awake at night on the verge of tears if I had been hanging out with them earlier in the day, only to find that they'd gotten sick later, due to the fear of getting sick myself.

I've grown much more control over it now. I can read about it, watch it when it's faked (still don't particularly like hearing it though), and I don't start bawling if I think I'm gonna get sick, lol. I don't like seeing real people do it near me at all still, and I'm obviously still not really fond of it in general. Particularly because I think it led to a problem where -when I'm really close to getting sick myself- I tend to be on the verge of blacking out at the same time. I don't know if it's an anxiety thing or what, but I get really weak, shaky, and my vision sort of fades away. Something I've got to work on, obviously. But doing so requires throwing up. You can see my conundrum, lol.

Like some others here, I have a fear of spiders. I can handle a lot of other bugs, but just not spiders. Even the little ones.

I can't bring myself to go near them when I see one. I tend to freak out and hope that someone will be around to get rid of it for me. Before I go to bed I check every corner of my room just to make sure none are around.

On another note, not sure if I would say it was a strong phobia now, but when I was younger I used to worry a lot about what others thought, whether it was friends, work colleagues, team mates from sports, or even family. So I ended up just being quiet - I wouldn't speak up or share my thoughts because I was scared of losing my friends or looking silly in front of others. It was hard to be myself.

I try not to worry too much nowadays, but I still overthink things instead of just saying or doing things sometimes. Old habits die hard!

Back