20 reasons why Final Fantasy XIII is not a good Final Fantasy game

Agree with everything you wrote.

The only thing this game had going for it was how pretty it was :(

Disappointed

I did not like this game very much. Sure, the graphics were good but it's just not what I was expecting from Final Fantasy. They tried something new and didn't do so well in my opinion. I'd prefer they made a game that is more like it's predecessors; change isn't always good.

I did not like this game very much. Sure, the graphics were good but it's just not what I was expecting from Final Fantasy. They tried something new and didn't do so well in my opinion. I'd prefer they made a game that is more like it's predecessors; change isn't always good.
By predecessors... what do you mean exactly? FFI, FFII, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFXI and FFXII are all different. FFIV and FFIX and similar, but they are different. And FFIII and FFV and, again, similar in some ways but are different.

Square has changed what Final Fantasy is each time a new one has come out...

I mean that they should have focused more on the storyline rather than the graphics. It just seemed repetitive with the cut scenes and lack luster, along with the gameplay but that varies through games, like you said.

How hard it is to get gil and trapezehedrons.
How many times did I have to run back and forth back and forth from the plains to cradle and back again selling gold nuggets /powder and perfumes to get a trapezehedron.The it took forever to level up the wand and break it to get the 3 trpezehedrons.
Now I have to do some of it again to get 3 more.It's too time consuming.

I agree with the fact that things were really hard to get later on expecially for weapons and whatnot. but i really appreciated the challenge as every other game seems easy compared to FFXIII, ie Tales of Vesperia, AC Brotherhood, Fable III. this was a change of pace for me. I hope they build on to it for FF versus.

one thing that i didnt like is the repetitive Cieth Stone missions >_<

I mean that they should have focused more on the storyline rather than the graphics. It just seemed repetitive with the cut scenes and lack luster, along with the gameplay but that varies through games, like you said.
But... the game IS all about the story line. That's why a lot of people dislike it. It's too linear, there isn't enough to do beyond the story line.

I know they focused a lot on graphics... but I'm positive they put the same amount of time into the storyline. That doesn't mean you'll like the story (I love it) but you can't say that ignored it when that's all the game really focused on, beyond graphics.

In my opinion the story was boring. It seemed like they didn't really plan it out well. Maybe it's just that the gameplay drained the fun out of me from the start but you've got to admit, there are some cut scenes that repeat over and over. They were the ones from the past with the parade and everything, mostly boring stuff.

But... the game IS all about the story line. That's why a lot of people dislike it. It's too linear, there isn't enough to do beyond the story line.

I know they focused a lot on graphics... but I'm positive they put the same amount of time into the storyline. That doesn't mean you'll like the story (I love it) but you can't say that ignored it when that's all the game really focused on, beyond graphics.

hmm just because the game is completely about the story line (and graphics) doesn't mean the storyline is any good... it just means they focused the crappy game around a crappy storyline D:

Srsly i wasn't impressed with the story at all.

hmm just because the game is completely about the story line (and graphics) doesn't mean the storyline is any good... it just means they focused the crappy game around a crappy storyline D:

Srsly i wasn't impressed with the story at all.
That's true, and is pretty much what I had said. But it is also true that just because you didn't like the game means that it wasn't any good.
I was only stating that the game was about the storyline, and graphics.

I mean, here's a quote right out of what I said...
"That doesn't mean you'll like the story (I love it) but you can't say that ignored it when that's all the game really focused on, beyond graphics." That's almost the complete second "paragraph" of my little statement...
:confused: I'm confused. It's like you completely ignored that or something...

That's true, and is pretty much what I had said. But it is also true that just because you didn't like the game means that it wasn't any good.
I was only stating that the game was about the storyline, and graphics.

I mean, here's a quote right out of what I said...
"That doesn't mean you'll like the story (I love it) but you can't say that ignored it when that's all the game really focused on, beyond graphics." That's almost the complete second "paragraph" of my little statement...
:confused: I'm confused. It's like you completely ignored that or something...

I was just reinforcing that they did forget the story because it was terrible.
Or they didn't forget it... they just didn't put much effort into it.
the game being focused around the story doesn't mean they put any effort into making the story a good one.

FFXIII was a horrible game! The game held your hand up until the 3rd disk and by that time, you dont even want to do those stupid missions you just wanna put yourself out of your misery and finish the damn game!
All downhill from FFX *sigh*

(there was a period where I was painting my nails while I fought. Just kept hitting 'x')

It's annoying.

No Engagement: But I learned this great trick while grinding for gil:

Place a book on the floor that is 1 inch in thickness (an old textbook, perhaps).
Place foot on book, big toe dangling over the edge. Place your controller by the book, with the X under your big toe.
Now you can paint nails, eat lunch, or knit while gaming. Hands and attention free.

No Personality: I did this game because I had to have something to satisfy me until a new one came out or it's time to play a new one. I just played XIII over the summer, and I've already forgotten much of it. It just had NO personality. All the characters (except Basch and Vaan) bordered on being interesting, but were poorly developed. The game as a whole was SO LINEAR that I had no choices, no freedom to say "you know what, I want to make that big, tough guy a healer just because I can."

Linear While we're on the topic....it was like a never-ending Mt. Gagazet.

Unplayable Characters Drat! You mean I actually NEED a leveled-up Sazh for this one fight!?

Overall, the game was dull. Not nearly enough gil grinding options. No quirky townspeople. The closest thing to quirky was ripped right off of Rikku. The FMVs felt like PBS in the 80s, and then I was confused.

Not that I didn't lose sleep over it, but this game was just way too SERIOUS, and it's been developing that way since XII. I think that they may have determined that X and X-2 were just SO lighthearted that the whole franchise needed to get all "serious" again. I hope they lighten up and give us back some options on the next one.

No Engagement: But I learned this great trick while grinding for gil:

Place a book on the floor that is 1 inch in thickness (an old textbook, perhaps).
Place foot on book, big toe dangling over the edge. Place your controller by the book, with the X under your big toe.
Now you can paint nails, eat lunch, or knit while gaming. Hands and attention free.

but cant this be said for almost every final fantasy though?.. I know ffv, ffvi, ffvii, ffviii, ffix, ffx there were many times where i was just pushing the x button.. Hell in ff12 a lot of the time i didnt even have to push anything, I could just watch the fights lol.. If your a final fantasy fan your just going to have to accept that. I like it personally though i dont like the fights to be all complicated and having to switch between a ton of buttons..

No Personality: I did this game because I had to have something to satisfy me until a new one came out or it's time to play a new one. I just played XIII over the summer, and I've already forgotten much of it. It just had NO personality. All the characters (except Basch and Vaan) bordered on being interesting, but were poorly developed. The game as a whole was SO LINEAR that I had no choices, no freedom to say "you know what, I want to make that big, tough guy a healer just because I can."

Haha I think you got the characters from FFXIII Mixed up with the ones from FXII ;)

Something I didn't like about ffxiii is antagonist character build,
I honestly thought Jihl Nabaat would be one of the main villains but meh,
that didn't happen which is disappointing to me because i thought she would have
some potential instead we got Orphan, A giant sun wheel with a cute face but then again that's just me.
other than that I still liked the game, it wasn't a huge let down imo.

I found FFXIII to be kinda hard actually, and very complex battle wise, and upgrading weapons and shit. In alot of fights you have to be on your toes and shift Pardigms quickly and at the right time or you're toast. You cant just run through the game with relentless assault. I personally wouldn't call it "easy" by any means.
Now what I will agree on, is the fight with Orphan. The dude is easier than Sephiroth, and he was easy as shit. It took 3 minutes, if that to kill Orphan in both forms.

I'm glad someone agrees with me! I thought I was the only one who thought the Orphan battle was easy! I finished him off well before the target time. I was so scared because it was so hyped up, and then it was done in no time. I kept thinking it was a joke or something.One thing though-I upgraded my weapons to max, but never changed them. I never found that necessary, but I suppose the other weapons were probably better. I thought the game was hard, but I admit not the best quality gaming (in terms of what I got out of it)-it was beautiful in terms of graphics, but didn't make me want to press on much.

ffxiii was not easy to me. i chose not to grind for hours on end and found myself encountering some tough fights entering pulse. cid was a bastard as well, and adamantoises seeing as i didn't know to spam death on them until after i beat the game. and behemoths when they transform. there are others, but i forgot their names.

i enjoyed this game. i've said this before in the FFXII threads, but i went into it with no expectations from before and was pleasantly surprised. i feel the game wasn't about the story, either, it placed more emphasis on character interactions than plot. FFXII put plot first, this game put the characters first.

Back