20 reasons why Final Fantasy XIII is not a good Final Fantasy game

I haven't played it, but I'm not sure if I will or not with the bad things I keep hearing about it. I probably still will though, when I get a PS3!

People are always going to make long lists like this. You only really start to notice it when it's something you love that they hate. Like FF8 for me! XD

I totally agree with you but people are entitled to their own opinions I guess, though I think people have been overly critical about this game. It's one of my favourites in the FF series so far.

I understand that people are free to speak out about their opinions and that's perfectly fine with me. However, if I had not yet purchased Final Fantasy XIII and read many of the posts in this thread I would think that Final Fantasy XIII is the worst RPG in recent years. I even remember reading on another website that one member viewed FFXIII as the biggest disappointment of their life.

I understand that people are free to speak out about their opinions and that's perfectly fine with me. However, if I had not yet purchased Final Fantasy XIII and read many of the posts in this thread I would think that Final Fantasy XIII is the worst RPG in recent years. I even remember reading on another website that one member viewed FFXIII as the biggest disappointment of their life.

No offense, but like I said, people said and say the same thing about FVIII. Even some people on this forums really really hate it. And I say the same thing about FFVII for that matter.

You can't stop the negative feedback but you can counter it. The main thing that prevents me from pursuing FFXIII more is the fact that I think it goes in FFXII direction and I hate real time. And that's why I probably won't like it.

Well too..some of us are FF fans and we can't let it just go and bite our lip and move on.
Nor should we be required to do so.

If we spent good money and invested our hopes in a game and it's awful we have a right to complain despite what some other fan may think.

shrugs.

Most of us are committed fans of FF..we may play Fallout or Fable or Dragon Age or other games/rpgs..but fitst and foremost we are FF fans and we want the best for the series and when Square shorchanges us we complain about it and we have a right to complain..to rage about it and if some people don't like it then they shouldn't bother to read those kinds of threads.

Not flaming just expressing my opinion about it.

I even remember reading on another website that one member viewed FFXIII as the biggest disappointment of their life.

Wow that person must not get out much.

What SE has done with 13 is merely expanded its fan base. I'm a very casual gamer and never bothered playing the previous FFs for more than a few hours due to how tedious they all were. The simplicity of the battle system, lack of redundant side quests, and linearity of character development makes it easier for casual gamers to pick up.

That coupled with the simultaneous X360 release has earned SE a lot of new fans. And we all know you hardcore FF fans won't leave the series just cuz of how bad you thought 13 was.

Wow that person must not get out much.

What SE has done with 13 is merely expanded its fan base. I'm a very casual gamer and never bothered playing the previous FFs for more than a few hours due to how tedious they all were. The simplicity of the battle system, lack of redundant side quests, and linearity of character development makes it easier for casual gamers to pick up.

That coupled with the simultaneous X360 release has earned SE a lot of new fans. And we all know you hardcore FF fans won't leave the series just cuz of how bad you thought 13 was.

Actually for the most part I've left the series after how horrible I thought FF12 was, and if half of the points that both fans of and people who hate FF13 say are true, I won't be coming back until they get a new system that I like again.

I might be the only person alive who liked ATB and Turn Based better than real time.

That's one of the reason that I have not pushed for FF13 even though I could. It's sad to admit but true....

Yeah Sqaure Enix really messed up with this title such a disappointment, but i must admit its pretty fun to play but then it just gets ridicules

Sorry I don't agree with many of these reasons. No control of your allies felt more realistic to me and more fun because it felt like it was just me and friends in a real time battle where I needed to think on my feet instead of controlling everybody on the team and nothing was done until I made a move. Lack of certain spells not being in it doesn't bother me, mini games are not a must, never cared about the chocobo, I liked the action and it was not nearly as easy as you're making it sound. All in all the only thing bad about this game to me were those long cut scenes, but unlike 10 at least the voice acting was decent so it made watching them more bearable. With 10 I wanted to unload a buckshot at the screen whenever it wasn't Matt McKenzie as Auron or Alex Fernandez as Seymour speaking.

In fact people always hope for better version to release in future but unfortunately Final Fantasy XIII doesn't fulfill it's fans :(

1. No control of your 2nd and 3rd characters or at least the order of A.I. like FFXII's Gambit system.

R:Yeah,I thought it sucked too.

2. If limiting user control to one character only, allow ability to change the characters during battle like, 8, X, and XII.

R:What?

3. I NEVER changed my weapons. I upgraded them, but every weapon i found was virtually pointless aside from selling. The fist weapons you get end up being the best.

R:In 8 you changed the weapon,but it was pointless for most of characters(just Squall learned nem limit breaks,that I remember now)

4. No minigames or REAL sidequests like 6, 7, 8, 9, X, XII, or tactics

R:FFVI just had the coliseum,and it less time on it to obtain everything than doing all the monsters quests in XIII. VIII had the card game,and was almost better than the game itself. Thunder dodgin and chocobo runs on 10 sucked,as well fishing on 12.

5. The chocobo digging is a pitiful glimpse of an attempt of what 9's chocobo digging was. And no chocobo activities compare to the difficulty and fun of 7's breeding and racing. Even X’s chocobo trials were better.

R:I just hate breeding chocobos in VII.Reseted the game a lot to obtain the right chocobo.Just love Chocograps and Hot n' Cold of FFIX.

. 3 of my Eidolons were only used once because 3 of my characters were never in my battle team and if they were, they were not the lead. Hell, Hope has been in my battle team since the beginning and he only lead twice, and one of those times was just to see what Alexander could do.

R:I barely used the Aions in FFX too. In FF6,the summons were just to learn Magics,they were almost useless in battle (genji cloves+Atma Weapon>all enemies)
In VIII,Renzokuken>all. In X,Celestial weapons>all summons as well. Eidolons in XII are useless too.

7. The world map is terrible, even if the plot IS about exile and isolation.

R:I don´t like too linear world maps,but it was better than 10 at least. Pulse is kinda open.Spira's biggest area is Calm Lands...

8. Seriously if i have to fight one more f***ing adamantoise.....

R:I thought you said the game was easy.

9. "Holy" has been in EVERY SINGLE FINAL FANTASY GAME except this one.

R:Yeah,I agree.

10. So.... when someone turns to crystal their crystal form is nude. but when the awake they are still wearing clothes. There are many ways to do nudity and creatively not show "anything."

R:Man,FF has stuffed animals that talk and giant yellow cocks.

11. So… I don’t get to fight Titan?.... That’s a crushing blow to this game.]

R:No answer.

12. Being strictly linear maps, the fact that you can hear the nearby treasure chest eliminates all the need to search every last corner. If there is a stray path, 9 times out of 10 there is a treasure at the end.

R:Again,I don't like linear maps too.

13. Seeing as how several major enemies can inflict massive amounts of damage to my entire party in a single hit, why then won’t a medic class continue casting Curas after 90% health? The A.I. switches to casting single cures 1 at a time. WHY?!!!!! JUST HEAL ME AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!!

R:Yeah,it was strange too me too.There must be some one to fix it.

14. The Crystalarium allows no room for character personalization like such great FF titles like……all of them.

R:FF4 was a lot linear.9 as well,You just equiped weapons and learnd skills.That's all about it.

15. There was not a single puzzle or riddle to figure out. Trajen’s Tower is the closest the game comes to making you actually think but even that was handed to you with detailed instructions.

R:FF never had that many puzzles,and the fews it had sucked(FF10 Cloyster of trials,for example).

16. Im going to make the argument about no Towns for 2 reasons. The first being that even when Sazh and Vanille are nearing the parade, the town is still boring and LINEAR. AND At this point in the game you’re not known fugitives yet. The second reason is questioning why they couldn’t just put on disguises. I mean, the people of Cocoon didn’t appear to be very smart. They probably wouldn’t have noticed. Snow on the beach was about the closest it got.

R:No answer.

17. No Gravity Magic

R:Why?It's non effective against a lot of monsters.

18. No Flare, Meteor, or any related massive damage Magic attack.

R:You said the game was already easy.

19. Seriously?.....a save point around every single turn?

R:FF10 was like this as well.

20. The battle with Orphan consisted of Orphan doing the same move of taking me down to 1% life then allowing me more than enough time to fully heal and attack for 20 seconds or so then repeat. So disappointing.

R:I agree.

BONUS: The game is so incredibly easy it’s insulting.

Well...

Last edited:
I don't think ff13 is the worst game.. I think it's kind of like V... In the fact that its just easily forgetabble. I'll have to go back and play it cuz i havent since i first got it and honestly I don't remember a damn thing.. Don't remember it being that bad though..

I actually stopped playing this game. I got so tired of training for days just to beat one freaking boss. I mean seriously... I shouldn't have to add 50 hours to my game-time because one boss is impossible.

I actually stopped playing this game. I got so tired of training for days just to beat one freaking boss. I mean seriously... I shouldn't have to add 50 hours to my game-time because one boss is impossible.

What boss? and I think many are just hating on this game because it's the newest release.. I mean lets be honest.. THey all did it to X, they did it to XII, and now they do it to XIII... IM sure when XIII versus comes out the hate for this game will die down and it will all be about how versus didnt live up to the orginal XIII title..

I loved ffxiii btw.. not my favorite of the series but still fun none the less.. (replaying it right now).

[FONT=&quot]Each reason is so.....true! makes me wondering where SE spend all that much time? I know they had the other projects of Fabula Nova Crytalis or w/ver it's called, and FFIV was just released on the same year but damn maybe they are tired, even retarded but they just can't alienate fans to some game that feels so raw/undercooked when I play, they can't just thow trash at our faces. Srsly, I just played the game twice and I have no intention of finishing side quests, and hearing (while I still have ears) that strident shrieks of Vanille.[/FONT]

What boss? and I think many are just hating on this game because it's the newest release.. I mean lets be honest.. THey all did it to X, they did it to XII, and now they do it to XIII... IM sure when XIII versus comes out the hate for this game will die down and it will all be about how versus didnt live up to the orginal XIII title..

I loved ffxiii btw.. not my favorite of the series but still fun none the less.. (replaying it right now).

like every single boss, I felt like it got ridiculous with the attacks. It was a system of me getting hit, and then healing myself until I died. So I trained for hours until I could beat the enemy, or even max out whatever stats that was ALLOWED.

I was really disappointed. But I still hold my hopes up for Versus!

First I'd like to say I disagree with you. I enjoyed FFXIII. While, yes, I am disappointed that it is linear, I enjoyed the game none-the-less and had fun.

I do have to say though that I absolutely LOATHE the Post-Game.

1. No control of your 2nd and 3rd characters or at least the order of A.I. like FFXII's Gambit system.

While this was annoying, I found that the AI worked well in most situations. I didn't like that Fang as Sentinel would use MediGuard ALL THE TIME, but that's the only thing I had a problem with.

2. If limiting user control to one character only, allow ability to change the characters during battle like, 8, X, and XII.

Erm...? final Fantasy 8 doesn't allow switching in battle... oO Only on Ultimecia and ONLY if a character faints.

3. I NEVER changed my weapons. I upgraded them, but every weapon i found was virtually pointless aside from selling. The fist weapons you get end up being the best.

False information is false. Get you facts straight before you spew nonsense. While all the first weapons end up good, everyone has at least one better weapon.

And look at Final Fantasy 8, there is NO POINT in changing any character's weapon except for Squall's.

4. No minigames or REAL sidequests like 6, 7, 8, 9, X, XII, or tactics

I agree with this. The Post-Game hunting was tedious and made up for nothing in the lack-of-sidequests area.

5. The chocobo digging is a pitiful glimpse of an attempt of what 9's chocobo digging was. And no chocobo activities compare to the difficulty and fun of 7's breeding and racing. Even X’s chocobo trials were better.

Wait... what? FFVII's Chocobo crap was fun? Hmm... I found neither the breeding or the racing to be at all enjoyable. Different opinions. I enjoyed digging stuff up with the Chocobo on both FFIX and FFXIII.

6. 3 of my Eidolons were only used once because 3 of my characters were never in my battle team and if they were, they were not the lead. Hell, Hope has been in my battle team since the beginning and he only lead twice, and one of those times was just to see what Alexander could do.

While I agree that Eidolons were useless, though you never actually say that... I like that fact that they knock down "Oretoises" when summoned. And I found them pretty fun to use at times, just to fool around.

7. The world map is terrible, even if the plot IS about exile and isolation.

There is no world map. It's like FFX where you go from screne to screen. FFX had only a visual representation of the map, like one you hold in your hand. That's it.

I don't see why you NEED a world map...

8. Seriously if i have to fight one more f***ing adamantoise.....

I agree here. Tedious.

9. "Holy" has been in EVERY SINGLE FINAL FANTASY GAME except this one

Uhh... Your point being? I don't see how this makes it a bad game.

10. So.... when someone turns to crystal their crystal form is nude. but when the awake they are still wearing clothes. There are many ways to do nudity and creatively not show "anything."

Are they nude? I mean... really. Again do your research.

PROOF THAT THEY AREN'T!

You EASILY see the collar of her shirt. It's different for Vanille and Fang, I know.

But, hello?! MAGIC! Duh.

11. So… I don’t get to fight Titan?.... That’s a crushing blow to this game.

Uhh... yeah. Fight a monster that picks up an Adamtoise and eats it like a crumb? No Thanks...

Considering you are about the size of half it's pinky nail I don't think you would really do anything to it anyway...

12. Being strictly linear maps, the fact that you can hear the nearby treasure chest eliminates all the need to search every last corner. If there is a stray path, 9 times out of 10 there is a treasure at the end.

I agree here too. But who doesn't like easy treasure? Oh wait, obviously not you. =0

13. Seeing as how several major enemies can inflict massive amounts of damage to my entire party in a single hit, why then won’t a medic class continue casting Curas after 90% health? The A.I. switches to casting single cures 1 at a time. WHY?!!!!! JUST HEAL ME AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!!

Uhh... Use a sentinel to reduce damage and make yourself a medic. I mean, instead of complaining you could find a solution.

14. The Crystalarium allows no room for character personalization like such great FF titles like……all of them.

Again DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE SPEWING NONSENSE. Tell me where the personalization comes into play in FFIV? Ohh, and FFIX allows little to no customization beyond ability stones.

15. There was not a single puzzle or riddle to figure out. Trajen’s Tower is the closest the game comes to making you actually think but even that was handed to you with detailed instructions.

This is all preference. Some people like puzzles others don't. I enjoyed the story, and trying to get stronger so I didn't care about having to figure out puzzles.

16. Im going to make the argument about no Towns for 2 reasons. The first being that even when Sazh and Vanille are nearing the parade, the town is still boring and LINEAR. AND At this point in the game you’re not known fugitives yet. The second reason is questioning why they couldn’t just put on disguises. I mean, the people of Cocoon didn’t appear to be very smart. They probably wouldn’t have noticed. Snow on the beach was about the closest it got.

I agree with this. Surprisingly.

17. No Gravity Magic

The hell? Okay? Where is the Gravity magic in FFIV, FFI and FFII? Gravity magic is useless.

18. No Flare, Meteor, or any related massive damage Magic attack.

Magic isn't for damage, beyond Ruin and Ruinga. They didn't need Meteor or Flare.

19. Seriously?.....a save point around every single turn?

I found this to be hilarious. It's like Final Fantasy X.

20. The battle with Orphan consisted of Orphan doing the same move of taking me down to 1% life then allowing me more than enough time to fully heal and attack for 20 seconds or so then repeat. So disappointing.

Really? I don't remember constant 1% HP when I was fighting him... hmmm. Maybe I was too strong?

BONUS: The game is so incredibly easy it’s insulting

It's harder than FFX, FFVII and FFVIII. Seriously. Post-Game is WAY harder than any of those games. the post-game is harder than pretty much any Final Fantasy to date. Exclusing post-game it's still harder than FFX. Both of them being incredible easy. But I'm beyong being insulted, considering every game is easy no-a-days.

I'm surprised you didn't mention being healed after every battle and how absolutley useless potions are. oO

wow i was going to break down each peice and say what i wanted to say but rinoa pretty much covered it..

Most of the stuff the orginal poster listed is just petty stuff (you were kind of stretching imo...), but the one thing I will defintly agree with is the towns... It made the game feel kind of empty just monsters and monsters without any civilization.. I loved the city that vanielle and sazh where in and I loved the whole fighting play scene, I just wish they had put more towns and moments like that throughout the game to give your mind a break from the constant monster fighting.. Thats the one thing i felt the game was really missing..

Back