Should I get Mystic Quest?

Hmmmmm I never played that game but if its for ten dollars i would go for it or maybe that's me being cheap :)

Indeed you should. Just to complete your collection or for the lulz. :8F:

I can't say it's a great game but it's kind of fun. The story and gameplay aren't all that great in comparison to other FF titles but for $10, I say go for it. xD

I brought this up in the 'worst ff ever' thread. Mystic quest is not worth playing. Not only does it not compare with more modern titles, it doesn't compare with the classics either.

Ok, thanks. I never got the game, I passed it up. I don't have $10 to spend right now on an ancient game.
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

I own the game and I actually enjoyed it. There is no question that it didn't and never will measure up the the other games in the series, but it was still enjoyable. The lack of money issue is a whole other story. The only thing I will say about the game is it is unlike any other final fantasy game ever. Meaning, less story, more linear, and less exciting game play. As far as a game in general, however, it was a good game. Also, the music was pretty good. Fun fact about the game, unless my sources are incorrect, the game was originally titled, in Japan, as Final Fantasy: the dumbed down American version. If this is incorrect, let me know. I admit to inaccuracies I have made. My opinion, if you can find the ten dollars to buy the game, I would do it, just don't expect the normal Final Fantasy style and awesomeness.

Fun fact about the game, unless my sources are incorrect, the game was originally titled, in Japan, as Final Fantasy: the dumbed down American version. If this is incorrect, let me know. I admit to inaccuracies I have made.

Truthfully it was called Final Fantasy: U.S.A., and was actually released in the U.S. before it was released in Japan in an attempt to garner U.S. support for the RPG genre. Even though it wasn't officially titled "Final Fantasy: the dumbed down American version", I'm sure that's exactly what die-hard RPG fans in Japan thought of the game.

By the way, to the original poster of this thread, I highly suggest playing it on an emulator. I played it on the SNES way back when I actually bought the game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it; but I was let down when I found out it was NOTHING like FF6 (the first FF I ever played). I'd say even if you don't throw down hard-earned cash for the game, at least give it a try one day if you're bored and can't think of anything to do. It really isn't a horrible game.

I recall reading that Mystic Quest was dumbed down for Americans as well. I own Mystic Quest but only to add to my collection (own 1-XIII (sans XI), tactics, Chocobo Dungeon, and Crystal Chronicles as well). The game is rather easy and if you're a casual FF player I don't recommend. However, if you really enjoy the series and want to see how it has evolved over the years it might be worth it the next time you do have $10 to spare.

Last edited:
I tried playing Mystic Quest and I had no idea what was going on ever... maybe it's because I was very little at the time but nothing seemed to make any sense?! All I remember was a wizard and the floor disappearing out from under me!

I would get it just to destroy it. This game was so BAD. Really linear and the battle set up is so lame. I hate how your sprites are like half an inch tall and the monsters are gigantic. The story was bogus and the worst World Map ever made. They should have just said, "The 4 worlds represent the crystals!"

It's funny knowing that the only reason this game was made is because the Japanese thought Americans would think their normal RPGs would be too hard so they made MQ. We totally got the shaft.

you should so get it... it was the best non mainstream FF game... i used to play it a lot when i was little... its a very easy game though and not very hard to get through... its like the original in the fact it just says you gotta save the world and not much guidance accept for the fact that it guides you to where you gotta go next... but in all aspects you can blame it since it was done in the EARLY 1990'S TOM... it was a pretty good game and was probably based for litttle kids since it wasnt all that challenging... that crap reason about how the japanese thought the mainstream was to hard for americans is a bunch of crap...

so in the end give it a shot since it is part of the history of final fantasy

FF Mystic Quest definitely doesn't live up to the other FF titles by any means. However, I still enjoy playing it every once in a while. It can be fun to play, especially if you find yourself wanting an RPG fix without having the time for a full RPG experience. It doesn't have walls of text that you need to read through. You are able to save anytime, allowing you to stop the game and pick it back up at your own pace. I really liked the monster designs, how they would slowly degrade as the monster takes damage. And Mystic Quest has some great music. The final dungeon music is awesome.

If you go into this game expecting another FF classic, then you will be disappointed - no denying that. But it can be a fun game if you go into it with the right mentality.

Yup, What that guy said. I played it quite a while ago, but I remember the vague feeling that it was, despite its confusing moments, quite fun. I would no doubt still be playing it had my brother not literally yanked me away to play FFVII. I lost the game cartridge in the following spring-cleaning upheaval, and I threw it a lavish funeral.

Comments like the above and all throughout the 2000's is what made me to create a mod of the game to make it more challenging and give me playtime through it. I am also working with someone to re-translate the Japanese script which was much MUCH better and more in-depth for the story. The game as a whole was entertaining and did what it was designed to do in the US. Fun fact, it actually did spawn an introduction to RPG's to a whole bunch of Americans. And those young Americans went forward to play other games in the series before branching out to play RPG's in general. Some of which are in their late 20's to mid-30's now playing anything and everything. So you see Mystic Quest is important to the tapestry that is the console RPG. It had and still has a meaningful purpose. And you know, it is kind of fun to play and the music is some of the best in a 16-bit game. An average gamer can sit down and beat it in 2-3 hours. :)

By the way, to the original poster of this thread, I highly suggest playing it on an emulator. I'd say even if you don't throw down hard-earned cash for the game, at least give it a try one day if you're bored and can't think of anything to do. It really isn't a horrible game.

^ This. I also recommend my MQ Reborn/HardType for those who want the story but want something different and or remixed from the original complete with some serious difficulty.

Or you can get my mod in CIB form from Timewalk Games. :) (FYI, I get no $ from this)

Just like Final Fantasy Legend, this is actually branched other game series: Seiken Dentetsu.

Try the other Mana (seiken dentetsu) series instead. Mystic Quest is just an FF by name. The sequel (Secret of Mana) is much better.

Back