Is FF II WAY too hard at the beginning?

BretHudson

Indie Game Developer
Gil
For those who've played FF II, have you noticed the beginning is insanely hard?? Not the fight with the knights but once you leave the first town, and cross that bridge, it's just insanity!

I restarted the game twice, and almost a third time. I'm sad.
My brother has restarted so many times we've lost count. Once he figured it out he beat the game in a week O_O

Few questions:
Anyone agree with me?
Anyone stop playing the game because it was so insanely hard?
Anyone else that absolutely loves the level up system in this game? or am I just a freak who likes a change.... :P
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

The only problem I have with the beginning of FFII is that occasionly you will fight monsters whose levels are far too high and you'll probably die. You just have to save often. It you level up before crossing the bridge you should have no problems.

Doesn't it just drive you nuts though? I've almost beaten the game, but a lot of people I've talked to just thought it was insanity, because they couldn't figure it out.

I never thought the game was particularly hard at all. What version are you playing? Neither the NES or GBA versions have monsters with very high stats.

its normal for a classic RPG, the early Dragon Quests are very difficult at the start too if you go too far without training. A big difference is you can save pretty much anywhere in FF unlike in DQ where you can only save in towns, so it's not that bad.

If anything we should be complaining about how easy the recent FF's are. There's nothing wrong with a game being challenging.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong, but for my second RPG that I've ever played I was shocked. And yes, recent FF's have been way too simple and easy.

For those who've played FF II, have you noticed the beginning is insanely hard?? Not the fight with the knights but once you leave the first town, and cross that bridge, it's just insanity!

It depends where on the world map you are.

If you're near Gatrea or Paloom, the monsters are still relatively easy.

But if you wander into the peninsula south of Altair, south-westwards or just cross west beyond the series of rivers, the monsters become mercilessly difficult. It you've just started, those battles will be impossible.

My advice is: do not go too far southwards, south-westwards or westwards from Altair.

Only the beginning is insanity? Most of the game is insanity! The random encounter level is through the roof, and like 75% of the enemies can inflict statuses on you and deplete you of Antidotes and other status remedies. I trained for like an hour straight during this game and got Maria and the rest of the party to like 150 exta HP and everyone still failed. Let me warn you, you won't be looking forward to the rest of the game.

Anyway, I don't really remember this point in the game... but I don't think it was hard... but I was playing the GBA version so it might be different. Just make sure when you leave town you grab as many potions you can afford and back and forth your way from the town and out to the world map getting money then returning to the town to grab Potions and such. You'll also want as many status curing things ever. And be warned that later in the game the previous bosses you faced will become common enemies on the map. Which is crazy and time wasting... Hope this helped you.

I'm almost done with the game! I just found out I'm only a few floors away from the final boss. Been there since January! lol. This wasn't so much of a help forum just I was wondering what you guys thought about the game. Thanks though if someone else needs some help!

It depends where you are on the map. There's no line saying that there's stronger monsters ahead.
If you stay in the right place (like me) they're ingredibly easy I think. Well at the start anyway...

I believe the OP just ventured too far from the towns your supposed to go to and found the monsters that your should not encounter until much later. It has happened to me before and I thought the game was ridiculous at that point. Just make sure to go where they tell you to go, and don't stray too far away from that point.

You just need to stick around the Fynn/Gaetra/Altair areas. If you venture too far, enemies will kill off your party. I ran into this same problem my first time playing the game (which was about a week ago).

I played the NES version, but knew what i was getting into. I have to say, it was not too hard until the Jade passage.

Jade Passage was BALLS hard.

I always said to myself it was a design choice, to make this game so brutally difficult (unless you severly over level). A representation of the chaos and war throughout the world. The world's become a rough place amidst all the fighting, so to survive you need to get strong yourself. It's something Firion and his friends actually learn in the first few minutes with the supposed death of their friend. With the Emperor screwing the world up so much it also made sense more monsters would be out. With everyone busy fighting in the war wouldn't it stand to reason there aren't many people out there to keep the monsters at bay, so there would be more?

Back