Playstation PS2 Top 5 List

5. Champions of Norrath
While it's woefully lacking compared to even budget modern genre titles like Torchlight, for its time CoN was incredibly fun if you could afford a multitap and four controllers. What's more, you could upload your characters to the sequel, which took play online.
4. Deus Ex: The Conspiracy
I know it's a port. I know it's a port with slooooooooow load times. I don't care, because we all still know it's the greatest PC game ever--in your living room.
3. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
This was the first time I can remember that a game's lore was so colossal that it required an in-game encyclopedia. You didn't simply play it. It became your life. And despite all the awkwardly timed dialogue and blank anime stares, you could sense the brilliant writing behind it.
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
So epic. The best boss fights in the series. The ability to live out boyhood fantasies of living off the land. The magnificent finale. Only KOTOR has the honor of unseating it as my favorite game of all time.
1. Freedom Fighters
Okay, so logically, I know my preceding statement should mean that I rank MGS3 as #1, but the thing is, I can play MGS3 remastered now on a newer system, whereas I can't for Freedom Fighters, a squad-based third-person shooter that recreates the plot of Red Dawn and has the honor of being one of three EA-published games I can play without holding my nose (the other two being DA and ME2). I absolutely loved this game, and not just for its commentary on the former Soviet Union, but for its then-novel rag-doll physics, the strategy involved in staking out an enemy outpost and flanking it, the gorgeous soundtrack, the graphics, and the multiplayer (limited though it was). It was masterful, and I can't understand for the life of me why it never got a sequel.

1. Final Fantasy X
  2. Shadow Hearts: Covenant
  3. Kingdom Hearts II
  4. Final Fantasy XII
  5. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

1. Persona 4 (my all time favourite) and other Persona 3

2. Any of Sony's PS2 mascot series; Sly raccoon, Ratchet & Clank or Jak and Daxter. Can't go wrong with these.

3. Kingdom Hearts 1/2. Both are great.

4. Final Fantasy X and XII. XII is pretty contested, but I enjoyed it.

5. Prince of Persia sands of time trilogy. Great action platformers from Ubisoft's golden age.

Special mentions: MGS 2/3, Zone of the Enders 2, Splinter Cell, Dynasty warriors 4 and latter, God of War series, other PS2 Atlus rpgs and Resident Evil 4

Wow, the PS2 had so many amazing games.

1. Shadow of Memories
A very unique game in where you have to go back in time and change events to evade your own death, while follow through the mystery and catch your assassin! Tell me that isn't a cool premise! But what makes the game interesting is that the game is separated into chapters (Murders) & you can tackle the evasion task with different routes that change the direction of the story. I love interactive narratives and this was my 1st experience with one. But I also love the games setting in a fictional Germany and the story and characters are very endearing.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2
This game is one which I consider leaps and bounds beyond the competition, the diversity in controls, actions you can make and how the Ai was very impressive, with soldiers using hand signals to communicate and flank you. But what makes the game special is it's themes on what to Live for and pass on to the next generation, it explores this with some great characters - Solidus Snake being one of my favourite written characters in any medium.

3. Silent Hill 2
The Horror Masterpiece, while I have many Favourite games, when I think of games that belong in the best of all time, Silent Hill 2 is usually what pops to mind, this is the equivalent to cinema's Psycho in how it revolutionises the medium - Yes it is that good. What is more scary within the game is not the grotesqueness of the monsters but the uneasy feeling of isolation the game installs. Rich in symbolism and so compelling as we take the Journey as James, who is reason and exploration for being there is among the best use of a main character within a story.

4. Final Fantasy X
I really believe this is the best Final Fantasy game, it's not my favourite by any means but overall I think this title delivers the entire package of what FF should be. It has the best turn-based battle system of any game I've ever played, I love how you can swap out party members and control the Aeons in this one! I also adored the structure of the game through Yuna's Pilgrimage, going through the rights of passage until we learn and question the very foundations of Spira. I really like Tidus as a character too, seeing Spira through his fresh set of eyes was easy to relate to and a great way to experience the story. When I think of Post-game content, this is a game that really packs the punch, with sidequests, mini-games and thoughts fearsome Dark Aeons the game easily offers 100+ ours to players wanting to invest. I still believe this is the title newcomers to the series should try!

5. The Bouncer
I love this game, I truly do! It offers the exact type of experience I've wanted to see on modern systems for years - a AAA Beat Em' Up! While the game is short it has a great balance of story and gameplay and a genuine joy to playthrough. The Tetsuya Nomura art direction is on point and I find the game to be great to chuck on for a short evening of gameplay. Also, a cool feature I like is how upon choose your character before each fight you see the story point from that characters perspective - offering a lot of replay value and scope to the story. Great game and would dig a sequel ASAP!

6. CrashTwinsanity
I couldn't finish this list without the inclusion of Crash Twinsanity (Get over it :P). After the forgettable Wrath of Cortex what a refreshing change for the series. The semi-open world nature was inspiring but what really surprised me was the writing, this game is genuinely hilarious! With many L o L moments! I also loved the chances to see Dr. Cortex more as he is my favourite character from the series and well presented here unlike in them God of War rip-offs that came after. Also, shout out to that soundtrack! mostly featuring acapella vocals for the music was very unique and appreciated. One minor grips is the 3d camera control being stuck in Inverse! If they ever do a HD Conversion (Which they totally should!) I hope that is the only thing they change beyond the resolution and aspect ratio - a real Gem of a game!

Last edited:
1. ff12
the game i most loved beside ps1 game ff7 played on pc. ffx and 9 werent my case that much
2. xenosaga trilogy
me loving gundams anyway, this game brought with lengthy visual clips presentations a high cinematical experience never to be missed or forgotten
3. tales of legendia
best anime game experience for me
4. shining force exa
action driven entertaining hack and slash
5. persona 4
just excellent rpg in highschool setting
6. dynasty warriors games and kessen series, nobunagas ambition
highly dynamical war game strategic simulations with both army movement and close combat action
nobunaga for the way! rules and unites japan
honorable rementions: chrono cross, shadow hearts, rogue galaxy, star ocean, others i forgotten

Last edited:
Back